How old is too old for a rail replacement bus

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Campbelltown busboy

How old is too old for a rail replacement bus

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

While waiting for a bus home from Campbelltown station I spotted that Shellharbour City Tour Coaches had a Volvo B10ML sitting on standby for rail replacement
Would a 33 years old bus be classed as too old for rail replacement use by Transport NSW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Linto63

Re: How old is too old for a rail replacement bus

Post by Linto63 »

Any port in a storm really. Travelled on an ex STA Mark 2 Mercedes of Telford's on a planned (as opposed to emergency) rail replacement service a few years ago and that would have been a similar age at the time.
Free Lance
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305, m/o 3021

Post by Free Lance »

Old Bus is better than NO BUS, often see the occasional Landseer on coach replacement for interurban rail. Every bus/coach in commercial use has to have regular RMS inspections.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

In the UK preserved buses that might be 50 years old, sometimes get used on rail. In Dunedin preserved buses are used on cruise ship shuttles.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Good maintainence and good staff driving them are the key to keeping buses (and any vehicle)in service for long periods.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

I'd prefer almost anything to most of the Custom Coaches/Ansair gassies I've ridden in. Bring back the Mercedes Mk V's. A trailer bus might be too old, but I'd like to ride in one anyway one day.

You can't complain too much if your whole journey is free because of RR replacement but you would be livid if Opal bites you in the bum too.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

The contracts for planned trackwork buses is 25 years of age, with an average age per closedown of 12 years. HOWEVER on emergency rail, there is no limit as this work is unplanned and most times at an inconvenient hour.

Geoff.
Campbelltown busboy

TV 8649 the bus in question was a normal site around the streets of Blacktown and the streets of Campbelltown maybe between 1985/86 and 1997 as one of the units in the Rowe/Busways B10ML arctictulated bus fleet
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

If it's road registered to take passengers, having it as a standby bus seems reasonable. How often do chassis rails wear out? If they do, they can be repaired.
If age was the only rationale in deeming a bus's safety to carry passengers, then we wouldn't have Motorfest.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

It would be nice to have a reasonable standard for comfort but by that standard even modern buses on route service wouldn't make the grade. Since it is rail replacement the experience needs to be comparable.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Passenger 57 wrote:It would be nice to have a reasonable standard for comfort but by that standard even modern buses on route service wouldn't make the grade. Since it is rail replacement the experience needs to be comparable.
Ride any State Transit Bustech Scania on Anzac Pde near the (s)light rail zones to learn that truth!
A horse drawn vehicle with solid wooden wheels from the period B.C, would give a more complaint ride!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes you certainly would get more complaints from a horse drawn vehicle with solid wooden wheels from the period B.C. Or do you more complaint "free" ride?
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

I want Volvo B7RLEs instead of the K310UBs around the East. They give a more compliant ride. (Dam auto correct- earlier!)
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I've realised that the three Nowra Coaches ex Adelaide artics currently being replaced (in daily use as school buses) are about 37 years old! I believe that so far one has been sold to Victoria for further use. I suspect most buses now last longer than trams, even though the reverse is traditionally the case, though regulatory limits are supposed to dampen down lifetimes of buses in public service.

Getting rid of the perfectly servicable Sydney Variotrams after a mere 15 years is an absolute scandal. Trolleybuses with their lack of combustion engines and simple, low maintenance drives typically last much longer than a diesel bus. We should start discovering that with the electric buses coming on line. The mandated changeover to low floor accessibility for public transport vehicles has created mass turnovers in the last couple of decades which should settle down.

The viability of updating ageing (out of date) complex electronics and computers is more likely to knock off a vehicle nowadays than physical/mechanical condition. Somebody I know in Nowra is still using their 1968 Austin 1800 as a daily driver (the advent of the Internet has apparently opened up a literal world of spare parts). I doubt that somebody would be able to do that with one of today's cars.

I believe that with rail replacement buses, being at least low-entry is a more important requirement than age.
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote:
Somebody I know in Nowra is still using their 1968 Austin 1800 as a daily driver (the advent of the Internet has apparently opened up a literal world of spare parts). I doubt that somebody would be able to do that with one of today's cars.
Automatic or manual? I remember seeing (hearing) alot of automatic ones. Not something you expect in an English car from that era.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote: Automatic or manual? I remember seeing (hearing) alot of automatic ones. Not something you expect in an English car from that era.
Can't quite recall, manual I think. BMC Australia was fitting Borg Warner autos as an option from the 60s as already by then the Australian preference for autos was rapidly emerging.
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote: BMC Australia was fitting Borg Warner autos as an option from the 60s as already by then the Australian preference for autos was rapidly emerging.
Yes it was obviously a response to the high take up rate of autos with Holden, Ford and Valiant by then. The 1800 was touted as a larger car to compete with the other three, and rightly so. They were very space efficient and innovative for the time.
Campbelltown busboy

One of these B10ML should be donated to Sydney bus museum in it's original Rowe's livery as seen on Rowe's new B10ML m/o 7435 back in 1985 witch is now currently TV 7663 at Shellharbour City Tour Coaches
https://petereid.smugmug.com/Buses/Rowe ... /i-XsP6vfR
Swift

Post by Swift »

I remember back when I was in high school in the 1980s a student described riding in those Rowes bendy buses and said how a turn table would rotate as the bus went around corners. I imagined it spinning like a lazy Susan, but now that I think about it, I think he meant that it simply was a round plate on the floor that turned to allow the two halves to bend.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:One of these B10ML should be donated to Sydney bus museum in it's original Rowe's livery
Having just taken delivery of an ex Busways Merc O405, probably unlikely to happen. https://www.facebook.com/SydneyBusMuseu ... 6636638529
Campbelltown busboy

All that bus needs now is the bold red BUSWAYS signage and the desto roll from the depot where it went into service new back in 1994

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”