*Opal Card INFRASTRUCTURE roll-out progress ONLY*

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
matthewg

Re: *Opal Card INFRASTRUCTURE roll-out progress ONLY*

Post by matthewg »

Noticed something about the Opal poles on the stations - the pole itself must be manually programmed with it's location. One of the poles on my local station now thinks it's one station further down the line that it really is. So 'randomly' (depending on which reader of 4 you use at the time) you get tapped on/off at the wrong station.

In my case it doesn't matter as the fare is the same either way, but other people may have gotten overcharged and unless they keep checking their Opal history like I do, they would never notice.

I never expected a fixed pole to have a 'geolocation' error.

I had sort of expected the poles to auto-configure off the station controller, but if they did, this sort of mistake couldn't happen.
Jurassic_Joke

Re: Introducing OPAL Card

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Reviving a long dead project, but good on them. The next station to receive new Opal gates, North Sydney.
6BE34C94-9E2F-4D70-A125-1FA7155F2DB5.jpeg
6BE34C94-9E2F-4D70-A125-1FA7155F2DB5.jpeg (82.33 KiB) Viewed 6545 times
swtt

Post by swtt »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Reviving a long dead project, but good on them. The next station to receive new Opal gates, North Sydney.
6BE34C94-9E2F-4D70-A125-1FA7155F2DB5.jpeg
I get the gut feeling they're actually slower to open than the usual gates?

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

I initially found them a bit slower and more temperamental especially if you followed someone too closely, but you get used to it and now I don't notice it anymore.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Reviving a long dead project, but good on them. The next station to receive new Opal gates, North Sydney.
And I guess the wide gates will be left opened, rendering these pointless.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

matthewg wrote: One of the poles on my local station now thinks it's one station further down the line that it really is. So 'randomly' (depending on which reader of 4 you use at the time) you get tapped on/off at the wrong station.

In my case it doesn't matter as the fare is the same either way, but other people may have gotten overcharged and unless they keep checking their Opal history like I do, they would never notice.
Or undercharged of course. Very convenient if you wish to travel between that pole and the other station. Free trip! Or do it repeatedly, get a free room and board at a Government resort.
I had sort of expected the poles to auto-configure off the station controller, but if they did, this sort of mistake couldn't happen.
I've come to the realisation that I need to lower my expectations about anything associated with the Opal project
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Readers previously on Platform 4 base of stairs have been removed at Tempe Station
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Top-up machines have been placed inside the gates in the two airport stations I see. I think they are getting ready to, if they haven't already, fix the airport loophole by not allowing a tap-off if the cards balance goes into negative although I see nothing on the Opal website.

Looks like its an episode of Constance fixing yet another part of Gladys’ patchy loophole-ridden system.
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Top-up machines have been placed inside the gates in the two airport stations I see. I think they are getting ready to, if they haven't already, fix the airport loophole by not allowing a tap-off if the cards balance goes into negative although I see nothing on the Opal website.

Looks like its an episode of Constance fixing yet another part of Gladys’ patchy loophole-ridden system.
I think the top up machine, at least at Domestic, has been there at least a year.
I don't think the 'logic' to prevent cards without enough balance out of the gate at the airport has happened though.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

BeauGiles wrote:I think the top up machine, at least at Domestic, has been there at least a year.
I don't think the 'logic' to prevent cards without enough balance out of the gate at the airport has happened though.
Domestic may have been there even longer; International I know was there when I went through it back in September last year.

I get the feeling re implementing the logic to prevent insufficient balance cards from exiting might be a question of whether they can do it - easily - just for those two stations, or whether it has to be done for all stations (a-la Japan, where they have fare adjustment machines at the exit barriers at stations).
Though yes it is probably just a matter of time before it happens, so probably more a question of "when, not if".
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Passenger 57

Post by Passenger 57 »

The airport Stations already have different logic in their readers so I don't see why there would be a technical impediment. I can't imagine that variations to Opal come very cheaply though. I suspect it will happen even if it is uneconomical because it is a something of an embarrassment.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

BeauGiles wrote:
Jurassic_Joke wrote:Top-up machines have been placed inside the gates in the two airport stations I see. I think they are getting ready to, if they haven't already, fix the airport loophole by not allowing a tap-off if the cards balance goes into negative although I see nothing on the Opal website.

I think the top up machine, at least at Domestic, has been there at least a year.
I see... I stand corrected. I don't usually take the train to the airport, so when I saw them inside the gates where its not like that at any other station, I just assumed ^

Well, they have the appropriate infrastructure in place. They've been able to code Opal on the other side of the barriers to not let anyone in if they dont have the minimum airport fee + minimum train fare on their card. Its surely not that difficult to put something in reverse for tapping off. Each day they let it go by as people use this loophole, think of all the $14.30's gone in go, never to be recovered. *shrug*. Up to you, NSW Transport.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:They've been able to code Opal on the other side of the barriers to not let anyone in if they dont have the minimum airport fee + minimum train fare on their card.
But that's part of the programme from the beginning - min fare applying at the time plus any location specific fees.

I suspect there isn't any programming for check of balance at tap off at all as the cards have been designed to be allowed to go slightly negative.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”