[Jan/Feb 2018] SA Transport observations

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

[Jan/Feb 2018] SA Transport observations

Post by The Phonj »

Congratulations to everybody for completing another circumnavigation of the sun. 2018 is now upon us!

Reviewing 2017; the South Rd level crossing on the Outer Harbor line was removed in January 2017 with a three week closure of the Outer Harbor line to complete construction works. The Torrens Junction project has been progressing, and the Park Terrace level crossing was removed in September 2017. Trains on the Outer Harbor line have been not running since September 24 September 2017 and are scheduled to resume on 15 January 2018. The Gawler line has also seen intermittent closures during this time to permit work on the Torrens Junction project to continue.
MAN SL202 (diesel) buses are almost finished; with two solitary units remaining in service with Light City Buses.
The O-Bahn tunnel officially opened on 17 December 2017; with widespread bus timetable changes effective form that date.
Extensions to the tram network continue apace; with tracks having been laid along King William Rd and North Tce during October and November. Three 'new' Citadis cars have arrived ex-Madrid and are to be found being prepared for traffic at Glengowrie depot.

The intersection of King William St and North Tce will be closed from 10:00pm 1 January 2018 until 6:00am 15 January 2018 to permit the laying of tram tracks at the intersection. Tram services will not recommence until 22 January 2018 however. Buses will be detoured during the works and trams will be curtailed to Victoria Sq for the duration.

Trains are scheduled to return to Port Dock (a new station, adjacent to the railway museum) after an absence of over 35 years, and improved night and weekend frequencies have been promised by the government on all rail lines.

The state election is to be held in March 2018, will we have Labor, Liberal or some other leading the state for four years.

It's the beginning of the "event season" - the Tour Down Under later this month; with the Fringe Festival, Festival of Arts and Adelaide 500 among other events slated before the end of March.

Please post your South Australian transport observations here that wouldn't seem to warrant their own thread.

I hope that 2018 provides you with all you hope to get out of it.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
Eagle Eye

Re: [Jan/Feb 2018] SA Transport observations

Post by Eagle Eye »

The Phonj wrote:The O-Bahn tunnel officially opened on 17 September 2017; with widespread bus timetable changes effective form that date.
17 December 2017 :wink:
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

It ended in "ember" - close enough for jazz! :-)
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Eagle Eye wrote:
The Phonj wrote:The O-Bahn tunnel officially opened on 17 September 2017; with widespread bus timetable changes effective form that date.
17 December 2017 :wink:
Whoops :oops: Fixed.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
jibb

Post by jibb »

Torrens Transit's newest addition is Scania Rigid CB80 1967 based at Mile End.
jibb

Post by jibb »

MFS attended an O-Bahn Scania rigid with a fire involving bus brakes early this morning at Paradise Interchange.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

jibb wrote:MFS attended an O-Bahn Scania rigid with a fire involving bus brakes early this morning at Paradise Interchange.
Its time that the Government checks over all buses at all Southlink, Torrens Transit and Broadspectrum bus depots buses to make sure all buses are safe.
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

jibb wrote:MFS attended an O-Bahn Scania rigid with a fire involving bus brakes early this morning at Paradise Interchange.
A friend of mine was on this bus and said a fire engine was travelling alongside the bus on Darley Rd and it followed the bus into Paradise as a precaution. He asked the driver about it and he said there was a bit of brake smoke but no fire.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Are Scania buses dodgy or is it case of lack of maintenance ?

Common causes of bus fires

Oil residue and fuel leaks
Engine overheating
Short circuits
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Skexis

Post by Skexis »

Eurostar wrote:Its time that the Government checks over all buses at all Southlink, Torrens Transit and Broadspectrum bus depots buses to make sure all buses are safe.
Regular vehicle inspections already happen. Don't think they randomly pick which buses to look at though so the carrier has the opportunity to spruce up those particular buses beforehand which sort of defeats the object of the exercise.

Edit: I wish they'd take the artics for a road test instead of just looking at them because their performance in most cases is terrible. They are so grossly underpowered it's just not funny. If you start off from stationary and have to lift off the accelerator for any reason you can get a good 5+ seconds lag before the turbo starts to spin up again even though you have your foot flat on the floor. Not a big issue when at traffic lights but turning right into a major road can be dicey.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

I posted in the tram line extension as well.

251-254 are now all detouring to WCH via War Memorial Drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

9:30am Wednesday 10/1. MetroMATE is not showing real time.

Went to see if there were any issues on the Adelaide Metro site, and the site is down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Who on earth would use 'Metromate' anyhow? It's like it's designed for old ladies, and doesn't have the simplicity of apps like Transit Times (now unsupported), and myStops.

Even TripMate is 5 times better than MetroMate, despite the fact that I've never really liked this app very much.

Anyhow, RTI is definitely showing up at my end. I've been looking for 1967 which I usually find in the first 6 or so searches, no matter what time of the week it is, and I haven't found a single V2 CB80 in a dozen departures that have RTI. The 'best' I found was 1180!

On another note, inbound 157s are experiencing lengthy delays at the intersection of Port Rd and West Lakes Blvd, due to roadworks and very short traffic light cycles resulting in longer than normal queues.
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

I know I've probably asked this before but are there any apps currently available for iPhone users that show bus fleet numbers? I've been hunting for ages
jibb

Post by jibb »

mmosca447 wrote:I know I've probably asked this before but are there any apps currently available for iPhone users that show bus fleet numbers? I've been hunting for ages
Currently Trip Mate is trying to perfect its app to provide this and other info that will be far superior to that of Transit Times.I have been communicating with the creator of thisapp as well as helping him trial the app in Adelaide to correct any errors. As soon as I know more I will post on this site.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

You mean the version with the green interface? It's been quite useful since I first accessed it on Dec 17. I have given some feedback as well regarding it, but some features are harder to implement than what it seems.

The ideal function would be one that allows one to search for a specific vehicle, but the AdMet realtime feed does not seem to be friendly to this according to the creator.
Norman
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Norman »

TA3001 wrote:Who on earth would use 'Metromate' anyhow? It's like it's designed for old ladies, and doesn't have the simplicity of apps like Transit Times (now unsupported), and myStops.
I use it everyday, and I'm not an old lady, just a guy who needs live departure times or to get from A to B without a bus fleet number.
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Norman wrote: I use it everyday, and I'm not an old lady, just a guy who needs live departure times or to get from A to B without a bus fleet number.
It's basically like a bus driver asking me where I need to go, and then telling me the scheduled arrival time and getting out of his seat to tell me when I have reached the stop when I don't need this sort of interaction. The fleet number is irrelevant to this context.

Basically a realtime app mainly needs a function which enables users to type in their destination, and where they are, with a list of departures displayed at the nearest available stops. The additional functions are a novelty, yes. But I just don't like the way MetroMate is designed in general. I couldn't even find a way to search for a nearby stop when I tried it out.
jibb

Post by jibb »

TA3001 wrote:You mean the version with the green interface? It's been quite useful since I first accessed it on Dec 17. I have given some feedback as well regarding it, but some features are harder to implement than what it seems.

The ideal function would be one that allows one to search for a specific vehicle, but the AdMet realtime feed does not seem to be friendly to this according to the creator.
It is very uncomplicated and easy to use once you have got used to it,quicker and more user friendly than Transit Times. Plus it is updated(from Adelaide Metro). every week.
mmosca447

Post by mmosca447 »

What can I search to download Trip Mate on the App Store? I’ve tried searching just that but no results are coming up.
jibb

Post by jibb »

mmosca447 wrote:What can I search to download Trip Mate on the App Store? I’ve tried searching just that but no results are coming up.
Go to Adelaide Metro website,look up Mobile Apps and scroll through till you find it.
mmosca447

Post by mmosca447 »

jibb wrote:
mmosca447 wrote:What can I search to download Trip Mate on the App Store? I’ve tried searching just that but no results are coming up.
Go to Adelaide Metro website,look up Mobile Apps and scroll through till you find it.
Only MetroMATE is appearing when I go to mobile apps. Could you send a link if that’s ok?
jibb

Post by jibb »

When you click on Timetables and Maps you go down to Mobile Apps and click on that.
mmosca447

Post by mmosca447 »

jibb wrote:When you click on Timetables and Maps you go down to Mobile Apps and click on that.
Is it only available for Android or Apple as well?
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

Maybe use private messages for this sort of conversation between two users? The observations thread will be tied up with anything but.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”