O-Bahn V Busway

General Transport Discussion not specific to one state
Reo
Favourite Vehicle: Deckers-AEC,Leyland,Albion

O-Bahn V Busway

Post by Reo »

What are everyone's thoughts on the better/most cost effective/safer method of having a dedicated road for buses only,namely the Adelaide O-Bahn system or the Busway network as preferred in Brisbane ?

Reo
tonyp

Re: O-Bahn V Busway

Post by tonyp »

Reo wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on the better/most cost effective/safer method of having a dedicated road for buses only,namely the Adelaide O-Bahn system or the Busway network as preferred in Brisbane ?

Reo
O-Bahn has more technology cost and for what benefit? Presumably just being able to obtain a higher running speed on a narrower land footprint. There are circumstances where the extra cost might be worth this (e.g. Adelaide presumably), but otherwise a normal busway would suffice. Just getting priority for buses is enough of an achievement on its own. This can even be as simple as a painted exclusive bus lane on a road and full traffic light priority. You don't necessarily have to throw expensive technology at this problem to solve it.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

tonyp wrote:You don't necessarily have to throw expensive technology at this problem to solve it.
However, if you're a pollie.....
Reo
Favourite Vehicle: Deckers-AEC,Leyland,Albion

Post by Reo »

I guess the biggest problem with painted bus lanes is that everybody tends to abuse them . In Brisbane drivers have also been caught using the various Busways as a short cut.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Reo wrote:I guess the biggest problem with painted bus lanes is that everybody tends to abuse them . In Brisbane drivers have also been caught using the various Busways as a short cut.
That has to be dealt with by policing and cameras.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

Busway. Good luck trying to find suitable buses for a technology no longer supported by its original manufacturer.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

PoweredByCNG wrote:Busway. Good luck trying to find suitable buses for a technology no longer supported by its original manufacturer.
Hasn't AdMet been able to source everything itself and use other buses without any need to call on MB?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

tonyp wrote: Hasn't AdMet been able to source everything itself and use other buses without any need to call on MB?
From what I heard, it was an MAN designed system, not Mercedes-Benz. I wonder what buses would have been used if MAN did accept an order for 92 new buses designed for high speed running?

The SL200s certainly weren't capable of reaching this speed IIRC.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

TA3001 wrote:From what I heard, it was an MAN designed system, not Mercedes-Benz. I wonder what buses would have been used if MAN did accept an order for 92 new buses designed for high speed running?
Engineered by Daimler-Benz and Zublin.
The SL200s certainly weren't capable of reaching this speed IIRC.
Technologies were available to MAN in the 1980s to cater for such an operation.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Reo wrote:I guess the biggest problem with painted bus lanes is that everybody tends to abuse them . In Brisbane drivers have also been caught using the various Busways as a short cut.
Very rarely. I don't think I've ever seen it happen.

People do drive in bus lanes but enforcement such as cameras is possible too.

Return to “General Transport Discussion”