Welcome to 2018!
Proud 0305G x2 and 0405 x1 owner
JRBUS123
Favourite Vehicle: Ventura Volgren Optimus

Re: Transdev Melbourne News 2018

Post by JRBUS123 »

Cheers Mercedes
A few questions this year in 2018 for Transdev are:
• Will there be another major crisis with the operational issues on Transdev's buses?
• Will the refurbishment process continue and will there be more buses scrapped?
• Will the number of cancelled services decrease?

Those are my questions that I will be thinking about for this year 2018
Cheers, JRBUS123
kadooment95
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K230UB/K280UB/K310UB

Post by kadooment95 »

Just curious if Transdev has installed passenger counters on some of their buses? They're the only thing I can think of considering that the doors are manually operated....
I saw them installed on Bus #424 earlier this evening on Route 220 to Gardenvale.
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

Hello

I've been noticing recently a lot of the Volgren Scania Smartbuses been put out on DART routes recently. For instance today (Sunday) I saw 8903 on a 908 and 8902 on a 905. There have also been more throughout the week. As well as that a lot of the Designline Smartbuses (the 500 range mainly) have been sticking on 903 shifts. Have there been some bus transfers or is this just temporary and will later on return to their home depots?

Kind regards, JRBUS123
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

Not only that but there's been a few instances over the past fortnight or so where Smartbus Bubbles are operating local routes around Footscray & Maidstone.

Given the issues that Transdev have had over the past six months, one would assume the mantra that any roadworthy Transdev bus operating a route is better than none at all.

Cheers,
Mitch :lol:
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

SmartBus bubbles and 550s are also running on Ringwood area routes, ironically on every route except the 901 where a silver bus would otherwise be expected (the 901 is mostly run by orange Optimus/Gemilangs these days, whenever it isn't a silver Volvo).

I saw a broken down Volvo SmartBus outside Ringwood station (half way up the hill in Station St rather than in the bus bay) a couple of nights ago. The bus was parked in the drop-off zone with the hazard lights on and was revving high (unless it was the fan making the noise) for a few minutes and was shut down shortly after. By that time I had left so I have no idea if it was driven off under own power or towed.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

I think JRBUS left out the most important question - will Trandsev still be around by the end of 2018?
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

I think JRBUS left out the most important question - will Trandsev still be around by the end of 2018?
Unless they get their maintenance issues under control and start funding their maintenance department better, I suspect that is a real possibility depending on which party win the election in November or if yet another crisis takes off on social media like the suspected trigger from the Twitter photo of the front bumper in a Smartbus, complete with number plate to identify the vehicle, was possibly the impetus for round 2 from the TSV...

A related interesting question will be whether either political party will try and get mileage out of it. I would be surprised if it wasn't kept under the carpet by both sides as both are equally guilty - the Liberals for letting the contract to a company unable or uninterested in following it to the point of having buses taken off the road by Transport Safety Victoria TWICE for unroadworthy vehicles, and Labour for sitting on their hands and not being seen to manage or enforce the contract to ensure the unquestioned safety of passengers. By that I mean that passengers can assume without thought or question that when they step on a bus, the vehicle itself is unequivocally safe to travel in.

Additionally Transdev largely operate in safe electorates, either Labor (eg, west / northern suburbs except for Yan Yean and Eltham) or Liberal (eg, east such as around Manningham) so there possibly isn't seen to be much political mileage in beating the issue up unlike the usual sort of law and order issues, or Skyrail. Still, one side or the other may yet blink - my money would be on Labor if the Liberals release a public transport policy relating to governance or the structure of the industry.
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

I also think of the tendering price Transdev bought when they took over. A $1 billion competitive tendering contract is simply not going to give much benefits to anyone in which we have seen the results of. I don't seem to hear any of this in other areas where Transdev operate and the difference between TDM and Transdev in other areas? No competitive tendering, more reliable and safe fleet and more newer buses being delivered now and then. I reckon if the contract price wasn't way too expensive services would much better improve and we would see more new buses being delivered. Furthermore there wouldn't be that much break downs or cancellations and extra shuttle services may be in place during busy peak times. It's most likely Transdev will stay for the whole of 2018 and probably until their contract ends in 2020 (however this doesn't mean something could possibly not change throughout the year or throughout the rest of their years remaining on the tendering contract).

Kind regards, JRBUS123
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

I think the greatest impediment to removing Transdev may be in the fine print of the contract.Although the continuing maintainence issues may give a possible out for the government.As krustyklo states both paries are equally responsible for this debacle.On current form the Andrews government will allow Transdev to survive until the end of the contract.
A theory I've heard advanced is if the government do decide to remove Transdev the operation may be split three ways.CDC,Dysons and Ventura.
Personally I feel that the contract area is way too big to manage,and it should be split up to 7 ways to enable a more efficient operation.'
I hope that happens with the next tender in 2020.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

JRBUS123 wrote:I also think of the tendering price Transdev bought when they took over. A $1 billion competitive tendering contract is simply not going to give much benefits to anyone in which we have seen the results of. I don't seem to hear any of this in other areas where Transdev operate and the difference between TDM and Transdev in other areas? No competitive tendering, more reliable and safe fleet and more newer buses being delivered now and then. I reckon if the contract price wasn't way too expensive services would much better improve and we would see more new buses being delivered. Furthermore there wouldn't be that much break downs or cancellations and extra shuttle services may be in place during busy peak times. It's most likely Transdev will stay for the whole of 2018 and probably until their contract ends in 2020 (however this doesn't mean something could possibly not change throughout the year or throughout the rest of their years remaining on the tendering contract).

Kind regards, JRBUS123
The 3 Transdev contract areas in Sydney and the Brisbane operation aren't paticularily great operations in fleet presentation and operations,JRBUS123.In my view the Transdev South has overseen a large drop in patronage.
Tonyp and others have said the Transdev operation in Perth is well run.Possibly due to greater oversight by the proactive Transperth agency.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

burrumbus wrote:Tonyp and others have said the Transdev operation in Perth is well run.Possibly due to greater oversight by the proactive Transperth agency.
Despite that, I've still heard jokes from contacts in Perth about how often their buses are seen on the back of tow trucks! :shock:
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

That's interesting too Broadgauge.I haven't been to Perth to have a look.
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

380166 (Scania K310UB Volgren Optimus) has just commenced service. Seen this evening on route 901 with a very slight difference in its destos compared to 121 - 127. Sources tell me 13 Volgren Optimuses have been ordered from Transdev and will probably be on our roads in the next few weeks

Kind regards, JRBUS123
Craig

Post by Craig »

#167 was running along Route 901 over the weekend, while Comeng64 spotted #168 on a 902 service on Saturday evening.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

380166 (Scania K310UB Volgren Optimus) has just commenced service. Seen this evening on route 901 with a very slight difference in its destos compared to 121 - 127.
Saw both 166 and 167 in the last few days. The difference in destination is more than slight. It seems to be a very dim white LED (at least on the rear) unlike the previous deliveries of Gemilangs and Volgrens where the LED is readable from some distance away due to how bright it is. The new version is difficult to read in any light. Is it just that the LED has been dimmed to reduce wear, or is it a cheaper LED specified to cut costs?
Craig

Post by Craig »

Different manufacturer - Hanover signs compared to Mobitecs in the previous batch.

Kind Regards

JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

Saw #101 Gemilang today on the 901 this evening. It seems odd that I have posted this up because Gemilangs are out and about all the time on these orbitals but 100 and 101 have been running Doncaster shifts longer than the others who had joined the orbital fleet and this was the first time seeing 101 on this route. Although 100 ran an odd 902 shift last year that was a temporary thing due to bus shortages (this occurred during bus crisis 1). This makes me wonder: have all Gemilangs 100-116 and 128 began running permanently or is this temporary?

Kind regards, JRBUS123
BluDART

Post by BluDART »

JRBUS123 wrote:Saw #101 Gemilang today on the 901 this evening. It seems odd that I have posted this up because Gemilangs are out and about all the time on these orbitals but 100 and 101 have been running Doncaster shifts longer than the others who had joined the orbital fleet and this was the first time seeing 101 on this route. Although 100 ran an odd 902 shift last year that was a temporary thing due to bus shortages (this occurred during bus crisis 1). This makes me wonder: have all Gemilangs 100-116 and 128 began running permanently or is this temporary?

Kind regards, JRBUS123
Bus 100, 101 and 128 are not 'smartbus' equipped (no PID installed) and therefore are not regularly allocated to orbitals like the rest. It is just the result of what gets allocated to what driver at the depot in the morning.

On another note for the Transdev fleetlist, buses 121-127(Volgren Optimus/Scania K310UB) have the same seat layout as buses 994-998, B44DW. Also the two Gemilang artics 117-118 should have a 57 seat layout, AB57TW.
BluDART

Post by BluDART »

Bus 168 (Volgren Optimus/Scania K310UB) has entered service; can confirm rego is BS03KR, seen arriving in the city(at Swanston/Lonsdale St) at 5pm today on a route 905.
Craig

Post by Craig »

The new batch of Scania K310UB, Gemilangs has begun to enter service - #135, #136, #142 & #143 have been noted so far, with the former two out of Heatherton Depot & latter two seem to be at North Fitzroy.

Kind Regards

MAN 16.242
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200

Post by MAN 16.242 »

Craig wrote:The new batch of Scania K310UB, Gemilangs has begun to enter service - #135, #136, #142 & #143 have been noted so far, with the former two out of Heatherton Depot & latter two seem to be at North Fitzroy.

Kind Regards

All been used for 903s so far so will be out of either of those depots or Sunshine. Home depots are only based on where meant be serviced.

All new buses will go towards orbital fleets.
JRBUS123

Post by JRBUS123 »

MAN 16.242 wrote:
Craig wrote:The new batch of Scania K310UB, Gemilangs has begun to enter service - #135, #136, #142 & #143 have been noted so far, with the former two out of Heatherton Depot & latter two seem to be at North Fitzroy.

Kind Regards

All been used for 903s so far so will be out of either of those depots or Sunshine. Home depots are only based on where meant be serviced.

All new buses will go towards orbital fleets.
Does this mean some of the older Smartbuses will be scrapped? It doesn't seem a bad idea to do so but perhaps it would be better to put some of them on DART routes as well and get rid of some of the MAN Designline buses (the 600 range) as they can only carry 69 passenger or even some of the mercs that break down the most. In my opinion I don't think all new buses need to go on orbitals and should spread a bit (as heaps have been ordered anyway if you look at the Fleetlists 'To be Delivered' section). That is what I think though.

Kind regards, JRBUS123
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Does this mean some of the older Smartbuses will be scrapped? It doesn't seem a bad idea to do so but perhaps it would be better to put some of them on DART routes as well and get rid of some of the MAN Designline buses (the 600 range) as they can only carry 69 passenger or even some of the mercs that break down the most. In my opinion I don't think all new buses need to go on orbitals and should spread a bit (as heaps have been ordered anyway if you look at the Fleetlists 'To be Delivered' section). That is what I think though.
Based on what has been said previously, I'm guessing the idea is that the new buses will replace the Designlines and Mercs on the 903, cascading them to Doncaster routes (DART or other) in order to have them closer to home for TLC if needed (ie, Doncaster or North Fitzroy) and keep their kms down. I'd guess the orbitals are probably fairly intense for the vehicles being long routes where drivers are under pressure to keep time.

If any buses are to be removed entirely from the fleet, I'd be looking at the odds and sods buses inherited from Ventura (ie, the high floor Volgrens and other high floor buses). Whichever fleet is the most expensive to run and breakdown prone would presumably be next (ie, it may well be the early underpowered MANs may be next to be slowly cannibalised to keep the others running if the older low floor Mercedes buses are more reliable and less prone to heat exhaustion in summer).
philm
Favourite Vehicle: A-class tram

Post by philm »

Channel 9 News report on the #914 bus running r200 outbound that was evacuated after emitting smoke on Johnston Street a few days ago: https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/953161786521305088

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”