2017 Review of Public Transport: NSW

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
JRBUS123
Favourite Vehicle: Ventura Volgren Optimus

2017 Review of Public Transport: NSW

Post by JRBUS123 »

Hi all

As the end of 2017 comes to an approach I thought I create this thread to reflect on what has been an incredibly massive year in Transport for N.S.W. Any events that have occurred can be listed here of if there's any event that has made a huge impact that you would like to discuss that is welcome too as this to reflect on Transport (including air transport involving airports in NSW airports) in 2017!

Hope you all had a good Christmas and have a safe and happy new year
Cheers, JRBUS123
Jurassic_Joke

Re: 2017 Review of Public Transport: NSW

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Not a single new Bustech VST for the STA was ordered in 2017. That in its own right is a massive achievement, a step in the right direction and I hope it continues permanently.

With the MAN Deckers and CC CB80 bodied buses delivered in 2017, they actually represent a move back towards buses that actually look like buses and are comfortable to travel in - this is a positive move forward and deserves a shoutout. I'm happy. Keep going. Hopefully they take a page out of CDC's book and order some more Volgren Optimus in 2018 for the next batch of standard buses. That would be nice to see but I'm satisfied so far with what we got in 2017 already

Above all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone on this board ^
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Not a single new Bustech VST for the STA was ordered in 2017. That in its own right is a massive achievement, a step in the right direction and I hope it continues permanently.
Meanwhile, another whole clustercrap of Bustech VSTs were delivered to Transdev South, not to mention those damn CDis. Years after the Volgren Optimus Decker was rejected for being "too heavy" and I am STILL furious.

Speaking of Transdev, the M90 is all Custom and Bustechs now after Bankstown Airport's last Volgrens 1978 and 1992 were transferred earlier this year to South Granville. Bustechs are ALL OVER the Transdev South network nowadays and I absolutely hate it. I hope for more Volgrens in the future.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

On an otherwise bright side, the T80 is a whole lot more frequent now after going rapid status, though still prone to delays just like it was before.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

And T80 also has CDi's.
Living in the Shire.
BanksfielderIdiot823

Fleet Lists wrote:And T80 also has CDi's.
Yeah, I know. I just decided not to mention it just to keep a cool head.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote:clustercrap of Bustech..s
Is this a new term for the lexicon like a flock of sheep or a gaggle of geese?

Volgren rules. 8)
BanksfielderIdiot823

And just some more to add to this thread...

- A bucket-load of timetable changes back in November 26, which also spawned the B-Line service. This also ceased train services running between Merrylands/Fairfield and Campbelltown, with everything going through Fairfield now terminating at Leppington.

- On-Demand transport from PBC (The Pod to Bankstown Hospital), Bridj in partnership with Transit Systems (Wetherill Park's industrial district), Transdev Link (Sutherland Shire)

- Newcastle Interchange Station

- And speaking of Newcastle, Keolis Downer taking over the bus services.

- New fleet of ferries, including the infamous Ferry McFerryface

- Somewhat relevant due to Wynyard Station being a part of it, but the Wynyard Walk.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
tonyp wrote:
BanksfielderIdiot823 wrote:clustercrap of Bustech..s
Is this a new term for the lexicon like a flock of sheep or a gaggle of geese?
Hahahaha!! Just a little term from the old school while I was growing up. We hate swearing so we used that as a cleaner alternative to that 'other' word.
tonyp wrote:Volgren rules. 8)
Oh you know it!
Roderick Smith

Premier Berejiklian & transport

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

December 30 2017 From roads and rail to arenas, Gladys Berejiklian named top NSW newsmaker .
For a premier who has spent most of her time trying to calm the political waters, it may not be the most welcome award: Gladys Berejiklian has been crowned "NSW newsmaker of the year", but in part not for reasons she would have hoped.
Ms Berejiklian was nominated as top newsmaker by 27 per cent of 893 Herald readers over rivals including the volatile Sydney property market (18 per cent), disgraced former TV gardener Don Burke (12 per cent) and the $16.8 billion WestConnex tollway (9 per cent).
Premier Gladys Berejiklian has been voted NSW newsmaker of the year Photo: James Brickwood .
Reflecting a broad dissatisfaction with all the choices presented, Ms Berejiklian's closest competition was "none of the above" which scored 21 per cent.
But while the Premier was nominated by more than a quarter of those who voted, overall sentiment skewed slightly negative, the research found.
Of the 177 readers who submitted comments with their vote, 77 were negative (43.5 per cent), 63 were positive (35.6 per cent) and 37 neutral (21 per cent).
The results were in stark contrast to the equivalent survey in Victoria where Labor Premier Daniel Andrews – who this year pushed through parliament controversial voluntary assisted dying laws – was nominated by 42 per cent, with overwhelmingly positive comments.
In NSW, readers found both fault and merit in Ms Berejiklian's willingness to execute reversals on contentious policies announced by her predecessor such as forced council mergers and privatisation of hospital services after coming to power in January following Mike Baird's retirement from politics after a tumultuous 2016.
Backdowns were variously viewed as "political gymnastics" that make for "appalling government" or the premier "being prepared to change her mind".
"She is willing to review her unpopular decisions and that is a great asset for a politician in a democracy," one respondent said.
While readers praised Ms Berejiklian's transport infrastructure program and stewardship of the NSW economy, the recent controversial decision to spend $2 billion rebuilding two Sydney sports stadiums was universally unloved.
One reader expressed a common sentiment when stating Ms Berejiklian was nominated "for many good reasons related to transport, then to have it all undone by announcing the demolition of two perfectly good stadia."
As reflected in polling, the announcement that ANZ Stadium at Homebush and Allianz Stadium at Moore Park would be demolished and rebuilt at a cost of $2 billion drew a lot of ire.
Ms Berejiklian was "blowing a good reputation with the stadiums fiasco" one panellist declared.
Another suggested the Premier "should be sharing the money around to include health and education not wasted on rebuilding sporting stadiums that are not old."
This type of comment will be music to the ears of the Labor Opposition which has run a "schools and hospitals before stadiums" campaign since the announcement, despite the government's insistence it is also spending billions on health and education.
Elsewhere, the Berejiklian government was accused of having priorities that are "a little confusing to say the least".
Several concluded the Premier was NSW's newsmaker of the year "for all the wrong reasons".
Anger over WestConnex, the CBD and South East light rail, the plan to move the Powerhouse Museum to Parramatta and asset sales including the long term lease of the Land and Property information service, were all tied to Ms Berejiklian's nomination.
Among those who nominated the Premier for positive reasons the focus was clearly the government's multi-billion dollar transport projects like the Sydney Metro rail line and WestConnex as well as the strength of the NSW economy.
"The NSW Libs under Berejiklian continue to pull off the amazing transformation in public transport and road infrastructure unprecedented in the annals of Australian politics," said one respondent.
"After years of do-nothing Labor government, this is truly an incredible achievement, at the heart of which has been Berejiklian, not only as Premier, but in other leading portfolios."
Descriptions of Ms Berejiklian included "courageous" and "strong and committed".
"I think she has done an excellent job in managing the most populous and wealthiest state," said one panellist.
"Solving the chronic problems of transport and affordable housing in Australia's largest city are just two of the challenges she has inherited."
Ms Berejiklian was also "doing a great job, making NSW and Sydney economic power houses" while providing "a steady hand at the tiller".
Of all the comments, the most inscrutable was this: "Poor Gladys. She can do nothing right."
Whether sympathy for the devil or genuine pity, with 15 months until the next state election Ms Berejiklian will be hoping for better at the end of 2018.
http://www.theage.com.au/nsw/from-roads ... 0a879.html

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”