STA Observations - December 2017

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Re: STA Observations - December 2017

Post by sunnyyan »

^ Can still somewhat make out the 400 desto on the side.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

But mismanagement by whom?
Stu

Post by Stu »

J_Busworth wrote:About 500+ people are currently waiting for a bus at Coogee Beach due to the Coogee Carols concert, Two Buses have left the beach full and there are no city buses for over 20 minutes! Complete mismanagement in terms of having enough buses for an event with nearly 10 000 people. In past years an extra 373 has run but this year nothing.
There were additional services for routes 314 & 353 which no doubt would appear to cater for locals (residents/tourists) only.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Stu, I was wondering if there are any further plans to relocate the Northern Beaches bendies?

By my rough count, there are 38 new deckers on the Beaches but only 13 bendies were displaced. So what happens to the other 25 - or does the B line require 25 extra vehicles?
Go Cats.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

There are still L90s and other servicess that require the artics.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

I really like how the image below is on the cover page of the Surry Hills bus fire interim report.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

STA Observations - December 2017

Post by Richard290 »

Tonymercury wrote:There are still L90s and other servicess that require the artics.
199 being one of them.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Richard290 wrote:
Tonymercury wrote:There are still L90s and other servicess that require the artics.
199 being one of them.
Speaking of which, what has been the patronage on 199 been like? Given it is almost the parallel feeder for B1?

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Sounds an awful lot like duplication to me.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Swift wrote:Sounds an awful lot like duplication to me.
How can you consider Manly to Palm Beach and Wynyard to Mona Vale duplication? Sure there is a section of common running there but the 199 has a lot more stops...
Swift

Post by Swift »

^ In the sense of using high capacity buses on those runs. I'd expect the deckers to take the load of the trunk sufficient to not require all those 18m bendies any more.
Happy to be put in the naughty corner over my assumptions. :)
Rick R

Post by Rick R »

There's a lot of over-simplification going on here. Just because some routes share parts of their paths doesn't mean that they are the same services and can be directly compared.

ALL routes which operate along or cross the B1's path can be considered feeders services to it, but they also carry a large percentage of passengers who have absolutely no need or intention of transferring to/from the B1.

This talk about 'duplication' completely misses the point that an excellent NETWORK is now operating on the north. The 'duplication' is in fact CHOICE, which gives passengers the freedom to get to where they are going.

STA haters gonna hate...
Enjoy.
swtt

Post by swtt »

The AM peak 533 between Olympic Park and Ryde/Chatswood recently got an extension in the span of service but not a frequency upgrade.

Looks like a frequency upgrade might not be far away if Opal data was to scream back at TfNSW. Just saw a Chatswood bound 533 totally full to the front door at Rhodes, then basically everyone got off to change for a train.

Similarly for the 526 they are frequently full during the peaks in and out of Rhodes. Wentworth Point is absolutely HUGE and if the West Metro omits there, it would be a serious mistake.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
Cowra
Favourite Vehicle: Old ones.

Post by Cowra »

swtt wrote:The AM peak 533 between Olympic Park and Ryde/Chatswood recently got an extension in the span of service but not a frequency upgrade.

Looks like a frequency upgrade might not be far away if Opal data was to scream back at TfNSW. Just saw a Chatswood bound 533 totally full to the front door at Rhodes, then basically everyone got off to change for a train.

Similarly for the 526 they are frequently full during the peaks in and out of Rhodes. Wentworth Point is absolutely HUGE and if the West Metro omits there, it would be a serious mistake.
STA proposed short workings from Olympic Park to Rhodes and viz in the peaks but Transport knocked it back.
Ringer of bus bells and tram gongs.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

The Parramatta Light Rail Stage 2 is proposed to connect Wentworth Point to Olympic Park Metro. But we are some way from that happening and a lot more will need to be done with buses in the interim.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Rick R wrote:

STA haters gonna hate...
What, because I can't understand the retaining of so many B12BLEAs?
I was just surprised they needed to keep the majority when a large load would be taken up along the trunks by the B.
The eastern suburbs bus network makes do with 12m buses for the most part. Wouldn't they suffice for local through services for the insular beaches?
swtt

Post by swtt »

Cowra wrote:
swtt wrote:The AM peak 533 between Olympic Park and Ryde/Chatswood recently got an extension in the span of service but not a frequency upgrade.

STA proposed short workings from Olympic Park to Rhodes and viz in the peaks but Transport knocked it back.
Knocked it back = extended them all the way to Ryde/Chatswood, or just never eventuated and we're stuck with what we have since 26/11?
Ray

Post by Ray »

Exactly - I would have expected at least 30 bendies to be redistributed elsewhere, presumably to replace the older 14.5s.

But only 12 or so have gone so far.
Go Cats.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Need them for school runs ???
Swift

Post by Swift »

Reluctant to let them go more like. Greedy for high capacity buses instead of letting them act as WD40 for the outdated 14.5s.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Unfortunately just not enough high capacity buses through the fleet and not allocated well enough through the operation onto the routes that really need them.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Theres a new bus being delivered to Ryde, under number 2913,

https://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/sta ... &ltype=new

Volvo B8RRLE CB80 (B8RRLE? Different from B7?)
Ray wrote:
Exactly - I would have expected at least 30 bendies to be redistributed elsewhere, presumably to replace the older 14.5s.

But only 12 or so have gone so far.

I actually really appreciate them on the Port Botany routes. It's a breath of fresh air, really.
maxy54

Post by maxy54 »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Theres a new bus being delivered to Ryde, under number 2913,

https://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/sta ... &ltype=new

Volvo B8RRLE CB80 (B8RRLE? Different from B7?)
Yes, more the B7RLE’s replacement, given it’s ceasing production very soon, 8 litre engine compared to a 7 litre engine
Swift

Post by Swift »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:

I actually really appreciate them on the Port Botany routes. It's a breath of fresh air, really.
I think the Customs B12BLEAs mark a comeback as I believe P had a smattering of them in the past. I saw one go through Maroubra Juncture today and was thinking along similar lines. They made me realise I'm getting bored of the Volgrens. Points to V and/or F for their maintainance as they seem to run like clockwork. Never thought I'd say this but the ZF makes a nice change over the Voiths and the six speed works very well in the B12BLEA.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Normally I am very happy for any bus to come along, it bothers me not in the least who made the chassis, engine, gearbox or body work.

But I do find these B12BLEA 2 door artics very annoying.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”