Clyde station?

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Roderick Smith

Clyde station?

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

A station at Clyde is coming closer into view after State Government announced it would buy land for Cranbourne East stop.
Cranbourne Leader December 12, 2017.
A RAIL line to Clyde is coming closer into view after the State Government announced it had set aside $3 million to buy land for a rail station in fast-growing Cranbourne East.
The Cranbourne Leader has been campaigning for the Cranbourne line to be extended to service the exploding population in Casey’s south. More than 240,000 people are expected to live in the Cranbourne East/Clyde area by 2025 and Casey’s population will hit almost 500,000 by 2041.
But while the move is a step in the right direction, it is not known when the new Cranbourne East station will be up and running.
Cranbourne state Labor MP Jude Perera said land for a rail station in Cranbourne East had been identified some years ago but development had since made it unviable.
He said the new Cranbourne East station plan was not an election promise or dependent on Labor getting re-elected.
Line duplication work is underway between Dandenong and Dandenong South and Mr Perera said he hoped the line could also be extended to Clyde and duplicated to that point.
“I am pleased duplication has commenced and that there is money to find land for the rail line at Cranbourne East,” Mr Perera said.
A1021626_Digital Editions Promo 650x100.jpg The State Government announced on December 6 that it was also spending $3 million for a fire station at Clyde North.
A parcel of land for the fire station in Clyde North has been identified on Thompsons Rd in the Meridian Estate with the fire station expected to open in the 2018-2019 financial year.
Minister for suburban development Lily D’Ambrosio said the growing area needed more infrastructure.
“These vital infrastructure projects will ensure Melbourne’s growth areas remain liveable and accessible for years to come,” she said.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/sout ... 906156b77d
crakening

Re: Clyde station?

Post by crakening »

There was a similar story regarding the potential Lalor-Epping North line just the other day. Don't know how much I would read into it, seems like some small news to keep hopes ever so slightly alive.
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

It's been on the cards for as long as I can remember. Every few months there's a story about how they want to reopen the line to Cranbourne East along the old Leongatha line. I agree with crakening, however time will tell because Cranbourne is growing at such a quick rate that something will need to be done sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
Mitch :lol:
UrgeOverkill
Favourite Vehicle: Scania Volgren C228L

Post by UrgeOverkill »

I lived in Cranbourne East until 5 months ago when may wife, kids & I packed up lock stock and barrel and moved to Mirboo North. For as long as I lived in Cranbourne which was around 12 years they've been talking about either a Cranbourne East/Clyde station. Either that or opening the Leongatha line. Neither side of politics has been prepared to put their head on the chopping block over it. But as stated earlier, they will have to do something due to the sheer number of new members of that community. I drove for Cranbourne Transit for seven years and they didn't even open up a Clyde North route until 3 years ago.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”