New Year's Eve (and holiday period) transport

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
andy_centralcoast

New Year's Eve (and holiday period) transport

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Some initial information has been released for Sydney NYE 2017. 1000 extra trains and 3500 extra buses are planned for the night.

Full information will be released 2 weeks prior to the event. More details here: https://transportnsw.info/events/2017/1 ... s-eve-2017 including a printable "Getting Home guide" to take with you on the night.

The T1 North Shore and Northern Lines and Central Coast & Newcastle Line will be closed for trackwork up until midday on the 31st December.
Last edited by andy_centralcoast on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frodo

Re: New Year's Eve transport

Post by Frodo »

andy_centralcoast wrote: The T1 North Shore and Northern Lines and Central Coast & Newcastle Line will be closed for trackwork up until midday on the 31st December.
From Berowra to Epping/city on CCN, Hornsby to Epping on the Northern line, and Berowra to Gordon on the North shore line.

I'm interested to see how Asquith - Berowra will be serviced during weekdays from 2-12 January...
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

andy_centralcoast wrote:The T1 North Shore and Northern Lines and Central Coast & Newcastle Line will be closed for trackwork up until midday on the 31st December.
Well that's a bit, I mean a LOT stupid. What government in their right mind have trackwork on the busiest day of the year (even if it is only to 12:00)?
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:Well that's a bit, I mean a LOT stupid. What government in their right mind have trackwork on the busiest day of the year (even if it is only to 12:00)?
Come down to Melbourne, where they run trackwork buses all night on New Year's Eve! :twisted:

New Year's Eve falls on a Sunday this year, so I doubt that it would really be that much busier in the morning than any other Summer Sunday? Most people would probably be sleeping in knowing that they're going to be partying all night.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:The T1 North Shore and Northern Lines and Central Coast & Newcastle Line will be closed for trackwork up until midday on the 31st December.
Well that's a bit, I mean a LOT stupid. What government in their right mind have trackwork on the busiest day of the year (even if it is only to 12:00)?
Any government. The ECRL construction saw a similar track work schedule.
andy_centralcoast

Frodo wrote:
From Berowra to Epping/city on CCN, Hornsby to Epping on the Northern line, and Berowra to Gordon on the North shore line.

I'm interested to see how Asquith - Berowra will be serviced during weekdays from 2-12 January...
Can southbound trains terminate at Berowra and return north? I didn't think there was a crossover in that direction, only the other way.

The last week of December and first week of January is usually run as a weekend timetable from memory.

For the NYE trackwork, the website is a little confusing with what happens during off-peak for the Northern Line:
  • Buses replace T1 North Shore trains between Berowra and Gordon.
  • Buses replace T1 Northern Line trains between Hornsby and Epping (during off-peak periods only).
  • During off peak periods this trackwork on both lines will extend to the City.
Is there even a defined peak and off-peak period for weekends and public holidays?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Is there even a defined peak and off-peak period for weekends and public holidays?
There is no such thing.
Living in the Shire.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Can southbound trains terminate at Berowra and return north? I didn't think there was a crossover in that direction, only the other way.

The last week of December and first week of January is usually run as a weekend timetable from memory.
Under normal working arrangements, trains Terminating in the Southbound Up Direction at Berowra would not occur, unless the train continued further South to Hornsby as an Empty train.

Trains Terminating at Berowra in the Up direction (Platform 1), for the purpose of forming a Down Service, will need to shunt forward clear of the crossover, and then return to the Down No.2 Platform.
Crews will be briefed on the procedure to Terminate trains at Berowra, during this period. With 8car consist, this move will require a Relay Crew.
Weekend frequency will assist to see this move once every half an hour (approx.).
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I'm only basing my information off the proposed trackwork information and it probably applies more to 2-14 January rather than the 29-31 Dec - we'll see what arrangements are in place closer to the date
Hendikins

Post by Hendikins »

Scott4570 wrote:
andy_centralcoast wrote:Can southbound trains terminate at Berowra and return north? I didn't think there was a crossover in that direction, only the other way.

Under normal working arrangements, trains Terminating in the Southbound Up Direction at Berowra would not occur, unless the train continued further South to Hornsby as an Empty train.

Trains Terminating at Berowra in the Up direction (Platform 1), for the purpose of forming a Down Service, will need to shunt forward clear of the crossover, and then return to the Down No.2 Platform.
Crews will be briefed on the procedure to Terminate trains at Berowra, during this period. With 8car consist, this move will require a Relay Crew.
Weekend frequency will assist to see this move once every half an hour (approx.).
Whilst it may not happen routinely, it's still a signalled move that crews should know about.
Hendikins - The Lurking Wolfox
I'm a railway employee - not a railway representative. Opinions are strictly my own.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

The NYE trackwork arrangements are now displayed under the trackwork section
http://www.sydneytrains.info/service_up ... =1&lineId=

T1 North shore line:
Trackwork between Berowra and Hornsby from 29 Dec Friday morning 2am through to NYE midday. Extends from Berowra to Gordon from 8pm Friday to NYE 9am.
On 1 Jan from midday, trackwork between Berowra and Gordon resumes (I assume this arrangement will last until Sunday 14 January although the information on the NYE event page says that trackwork will extend to the city during off peak - no forther information provided currently)

T1 Northern line:
Trackwork between Hornsby and Epping from Friday 29 Dec midday until NYE midday, and also from 1 Jan midday until 2 Jan 2am and "off-peak periods" between 2 Jan - 14 Jan (yet to see what those arrangements are and whether trackwork will extend from Epping to the city in off-peak)

CCN line:
Fri 29 Dec morning peak - reduced frequency and changed timetables citybound. Most trains from Central to Newcastle will start at Berowra.
Afternoon peak: citybound trains terminate at Berowra. Central to Newcastle trains will operate at a reduced frequency and with a changed timetable.

Trackwork between Berowra and Epping/Central (express buses from Berowra to Epping and Berowra to Central) from7pm Fri 29 Dec to NYE midday, and again from 1 January midday onwards.
As for 2 - 14 Jan, I'm guessing the arrangements will be similar to 29 Dec, with a reduced frequency and a changed timetable, but this is yet to be confirmed.
andy_centralcoast

Frodo wrote:As for 2 - 14 Jan, I'm guessing the arrangements will be similar to 29 Dec, with a reduced frequency and a changed timetable, but this is yet to be confirmed.
Details for up until 15 Jan are now also listed on the trackwork website.

In summary:
  • Berowra to Gordon replaced by bus for the entire period. Both limited stops and all stops bus services available.
  • No Hornsby to Central via Macq Park. All ECRL trains start/end at Epping.
  • Northern Line operates Hornsby to Central via Strathfield on weekdays 5.50am to 9.45am and again from 2.40pm until 7.15pm. At other times, buses between Hornsby and Epping.
  • Central Coast Newcastle Line services via Strathfield operate weekday morning peak to Central (arrivals 6:29 to 9:56), and weekday afternoon peak from Central (15:15 to 18:45 departures). All other trains start/end at Berowra, with express buses Berowra <-> Epping and Berowra <-> Central.
The express bus options to/from Berowra seem quite limited, especially for those travelling between the Central Coast and North Shore Line destinations. I'm surprised there's no express bus to Gordon if there's one to Epping. But really, the express bus to Central could easily stop at Gordon or Chatswood to allow a transfer to North Shore trains. That seems like a massive oversight to me.

Also a missed opportunity to get customers headed into the CBD back onto the train network earlier and paying higher Opal fares. I think many would choose an easy change for a train at Gordon/Chatswood over a bus to Central then a long walk to catch a train back to Wynyard.
homebush

Re: New Year's Eve (and holiday period) transport

Post by homebush »

https://transportnsw.info/events/2017/1 ... s-eve-2017
The website has been updated with extra info.
swtt

Post by swtt »

andy_centralcoast wrote:
Frodo wrote:As for 2 - 14 Jan, I'm guessing the arrangements will be similar to 29 Dec, with a reduced frequency and a changed timetable, but this is yet to be confirmed.
Details for up until 15 Jan are now also listed on the trackwork website.

In summary:
  • Berowra to Gordon replaced by bus for the entire period. Both limited stops and all stops bus services available.
  • No Hornsby to Central via Macq Park. All ECRL trains start/end at Epping.
  • Northern Line operates Hornsby to Central via Strathfield on weekdays 5.50am to 9.45am and again from 2.40pm until 7.15pm. At other times, buses between Hornsby and Epping.
  • Central Coast Newcastle Line services via Strathfield operate weekday morning peak to Central (arrivals 6:29 to 9:56), and weekday afternoon peak from Central (15:15 to 18:45 departures). All other trains start/end at Berowra, with express buses Berowra <-> Epping and Berowra <-> Central.
The express bus options to/from Berowra seem quite limited, especially for those travelling between the Central Coast and North Shore Line destinations. I'm surprised there's no express bus to Gordon if there's one to Epping. But really, the express bus to Central could easily stop at Gordon or Chatswood to allow a transfer to North Shore trains. That seems like a massive oversight to me.

Also a missed opportunity to get customers headed into the CBD back onto the train network earlier and paying higher Opal fares. I think many would choose an easy change for a train at Gordon/Chatswood over a bus to Central then a long walk to catch a train back to Wynyard.
Sound like a practise run for when the ECRL closes down! :)
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

You would save a lot of time going directly by the freeway from Berowra to Gordon.

Having "limited stops" services seems rather pointless when in most cases ( like Asquith, Mt Colah etc ) the road is right next to the station and it would take only 15 seconds to stop for a few people to get on or off.

One of the main annoyances for bustitution, is not knowing when the next bus will come. This is particularly annoying if you can use more than one route.

Obviously, a lot of variations of the schemes have been attempted, at least where I have been.

To reduce the multiplier effects of traffic delays, my advice would be to keep the routes short and simple.
1. direct from Berowra to Gordon via the freeway for all through passengers.
2. All stops Berowra to Hornsby.
3. All stops Hornsby to Gordon, with stops on the main road at Turramurra.
4. All stops Hornby to Epping.
Customers can change buses at Hornsby.

Since thousands of people will be changing from buses to trains actually at Gordon ( unlike typical Wynyard to Hornsby shutdowns ), they should use the big bus stop at Gordon, not the inadequate ones on the main road.
Free Lance
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305, m/o 3021

Post by Free Lance »

IIRC, last time there was a shut down like this, we dropped at Gordon Station (interchange) ran empty under the railway line into Werona Ave, (pick-up zone) then left into Park and right onto the highway, but that was a few years back before all the changes were made at Gordon Station.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

Free Lance wrote:IIRC, last time there was a shut down like this, we dropped at Gordon Station (interchange) ran empty under the railway line into Werona Ave, (pick-up zone) then left into Park and right onto the highway, but that was a few years back before all the changes were made at Gordon Station.
Nothing wrong with that except the poor accessibility on the east side.
Free Lance

Post by Free Lance »

Correct me if I am wrong, I am sure there is a ramp from the overhead walkway to Werona, then onto the bus and GO!
No room to Layup for a meal break but for the pax just on the bus and up, up and away.
More important to get them out of the and on the way home.
Max of 4 buses each division, just make sure you get on the right bus.
I am sure whatever happens there will be sufficient instructions (for those who care to look at them)
If you have done "rail" before you will understand
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

From the upper level at Gordon, there are about 12 steps down, and then there are the long ramps to the right and left leading towards the pedestrian crossings.

Otherwise, you can take the elevator down to the almost disused platform 1, and then the confusing ramp through the shrubbery down to the street. There is another more obvious ramp to the street, which I think has three steps on it. Or maybe used to.
andy_centralcoast

I submitted feedback asking if at least some of the replacement buses from Berowra to Central can also stop at Gordon or Chatswood along the way, as they'll be driving right past. Fingers crossed, but I doubt it will end up being read by anyone who can make that happen.

As for New Year's Eve:
- Berowra trains run via ECRL instead of via Gordon - but from Berowra-Asquith it will be about 10 minutes faster changing at Hornsby for a train via Gordon.
- After midnight, additional suburban services depart from the Central intercity (Sydney Terminal) platforms to Epping via Strathfield and to St Marys.
- Some Central Coast services make an additional stop at Eastwood.

Aside from trackwork, trains will operate under a Saturday base timetable from 23 December until 31 December, and a Sunday timetable on 1st January.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

This is what the trackwork information says

Please follow the signs at train stations or ask staff for directions on where to catch a replacement bus service. Travel times are subject to traffic conditions.

T1 replacement buses
Replacement buses for suburban train services run every 10 minutes between 6am and 10pm and every 15 minutes at other times.

25T1: Berowra, then all stations to Hornsby, Waitara, Pymble, Gordon and return
26T1: Gordon, Pymble, Waitara, Hornsby and return
27T1: Gordon, Pymble, Turramurra and return
28T1: Hornsby, then all stations to Beecroft, Epping and return
29T1: Epping, Cheltenham and Beecroft and return
44T1: Berowra, then all stations to Hornsby and return
47T1: Gordon, then all stations to Hornsby and return

Intercity replacement buses
Replacement buses for Intercity services run every 30 minutes.

9CN: Berowra express to Epping and return
10CN: Berowra express to Central and return

Do all of these buses, except the last two, run every ten minutes ?

It seems to be a pretty poor choice of routes. For central coast commuters, and also people from Berowra, who want to go to Chatswood, St Leonards, North Sydney, etc, that is a pretty poor scheme.

Actually, they might be better off catching the express bus from Berowra to Epping and then taking a T1 train via Macquarie Park. Or maybe not. I wonder how many customers will think of that ? It is a rather non-obvious alternative to the usual Wyong via North Shore line services, or normally changing at Hornsby.

For the buses which allegedly run every 10 minutes, it's turn up and go. For the ones which supposedly run every half hour, there really should be a timetable.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

For northbound traveller to the central coast, the time when your bus will get to Berowra will probably be entirely random, and out of either the customers nor the bus operators ability to control.

That is going to mean that people going to most of the stations between Cowan and Ourimbah will be loitering around Berowra for up to an hour waiting for their train.

It might be better to run all of the trains all-stops between Berowra and Wyong. This might add ten minutes to the travel time of passengers headed to stations north of Wyong but would save 30 minutes on average for all of the passengers south of Wyong. It would get large crowds of disgruntled passengers away from Berowra sooner, particularly as there are hardly any seats on the platform there.
andy_centralcoast

Liamena wrote:It seems to be a pretty poor choice of routes. For central coast commuters, and also people from Berowra, who want to go to Chatswood, St Leonards, North Sydney, etc, that is a pretty poor scheme.
Agree. I don't understand why the bus from Berowra to Central doesn't stop at Gordon or Chatswood to allow a transfer back to the train network. Both stations are right next to the Pacific Highway and during every other trackwork period I can remember, all bus routes from Newcastle to Central have stopped at Chatswood.
Liamena wrote:Actually, they might be better off catching the express bus from Berowra to Epping and then taking a T1 train via Macquarie Park. Or maybe not. I wonder how many customers will think of that ? It is a rather non-obvious alternative to the usual Wyong via North Shore line services, or normally changing at Hornsby.
A bus between Berowra and Epping is likely to take up to 45 minutes with the traffic along Pennant Hills Road, so I can't imagine many people will choose that option more than once.

Hilariously, this is the route that the trip planner suggests to take...
wtf.png
wtf.png (277.46 KiB) Viewed 5273 times
I can only assume they haven't loaded the replacement buses into the system yet.
Free Lance

Post by Free Lance »

Without seeing the actual route details one can only make an assumption, Gordon Terminators would most like stop at the bus interchange at the railway station, if the e Express to Central was to make such a detour I estimate it would add 10minutes to the journey with a similar slow down if Chatswood was included. Imagine the screams from those who thought "EXPRESS" would mean a quicker journey. I could be wrong, it has happened before.
andy_centralcoast

Free Lance wrote:Without seeing the actual route details one can only make an assumption, Gordon Terminators would most like stop at the bus interchange at the railway station, if the e Express to Central was to make such a detour I estimate it would add 10minutes to the journey with a similar slow down if Chatswood was included. Imagine the screams from those who thought "EXPRESS" would mean a quicker journey. I could be wrong, it has happened before.
That's a valid point - Gordon could be quite congested with the T1 bus routes terminating and commencing from there.

There shouldn't be any issue with including Chatswood though. It's been a stop on all the CCN trackwork replacement buses to/from Central in the past.

On one of those prior trackwork weekends I had to go to Lindfield so I got the express coach (stays on the M1/F3 and skips Berowra & Hornsby), got off at Chatswood and changed to a train from Chatswood back to Lindfield.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”