NSW Railway Observations - December 2017

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

NSW Railway Observations - December 2017

Post by boronia »

Channel 9 News promising a story tonight about "how your train travel is about to become more uncomfortable".

I think they have discovered a few S sets getting around. :oops:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
andy_centralcoast

Re: NSW Railway Observations - December 2017

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Major delays on T1 today due to track problems at Ashfield, lots of trains terminating early in both directions at places like Blacktown, Rhodes, Chatswood, Gordon, and even Hornsby/Berowra-bound services terminating at North Sydney. This allows them to form their next run on time from that location, but sends them immediately back into the congested part of the network to endure another major delay and terminate short again on the other side. Rinse and Repeat.

Doesn't help that trackwork on the Local and Suburban lines between Clyde and Illawarra Junction has all T1 and T2 diverted onto the Main Lines, so the failure near Ashfield effectively closed the entire section between Strathfield and Redfern.

Interestingly several CCN services have been given Eastwood and Meadowbank as additional stops, including a few that took over an hour to get from Central to Strathfield. In the past, these trains would have been diverted over the bridge via the North Shore, but today they just keep sending them into the congestion to endure an hour delay, then terminate early at Gosford.
swtt

Post by swtt »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Major delays on T1 today due to track problems at Ashfield, lots of trains terminating early in both directions at places like Blacktown, Rhodes, Chatswood, Gordon, and even Hornsby/Berowra-bound services terminating at North Sydney. This allows them to form their next run on time from that location, but sends them immediately back into the congested part of the network to endure another major delay and terminate short again on the other side. Rinse and Repeat.

Doesn't help that trackwork on the Local and Suburban lines between Clyde and Illawarra Junction has all T1 and T2 diverted onto the Main Lines, so the failure near Ashfield effectively closed the entire section between Strathfield and Redfern.

Interestingly several CCN services have been given Eastwood and Meadowbank as additional stops, including a few that took over an hour to get from Central to Strathfield. In the past, these trains would have been diverted over the bridge via the North Shore, but today they just keep sending them into the congestion to endure an hour delay, then terminate early at Gosford.
Unfortunately it seems nobody cares about OTR on weekends as it never really goes into the stats. The disaster recovery practices on weekdays don't seem to apply.

TripView was showing a train up to Epping almost at 3 minute intervals at one stage! (with five in a row!)
andy_centralcoast

I'm told there's now a lack of train crew at Central causing further delays. Some services are being diverted to Sydney Terminal.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Just spent 10 minutes outside of Redfern then another 20 outside Central on a northbound T1. Affecting other lines as well, T2/T3 services were likewise banked up with a crewless train on platform 17.

I know crews have limits as to how much time they can spend on the road without a break, but surely it would be better for them to continue for another 10 minutes to North Sydney and terminate the train off the through roads rather than have the whole network descend into gridlock.

Guard openly admitted she was in the dark, so obviously a communication problem. Incidents happen, but surely there are contingency plans in place to keep the trains rolling. Whatever they are, didn't appear to be working today.
andy_centralcoast

Everything is very messed up. They are now making announcements asking people to defer any non essential travel!

Earlier I saw T4 trains on platform 17 at Central that appeared to be terminating there or running non-stop around the City Circle back to Central.

Indicator boards were also showing airport trains from platform 16 and people were hauling luggage up there. Thankfully there were announcements on the train to disregard the indicators.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

.....That was a total sh*tshow, what happened yesterday, I cannot even fathom if we ever saw something so huge like that in 2016 (or even 2015). I'm surprised the Murdoch Media decided not to write on it. T1 towards the North Shore finished service for the night an hour early. What annoyed me the most was at least the (moderate) station I was at, Staff left people in the dark as to what was happening as well as why the trains were being delayed so much.

Not convinced that Ashfield alone could bring down the entire rail network (I dealt with a 40 minute delay on T4, which has nothing do with Ashfield), I did some further inquiring and found out the real reason why everything was crippled for the rest of the day was not only the failed signals/switch. But I found out also because of a chronic shortage of drivers. Shortage of drivers in a timetable thats supposed to have increased services. Tuttuttut. Not looking good, really.
Last edited by Jurassic_Joke on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Not convinced that Ashfield alone could bring down the entire rail network (I dealt with a 40 minute delay on T4, which has nothing do with Ashfield), I did some further inquiring and found out the real reason why everything was crippled for the rest of the day was not only the failed signals/switch. But I found out also because of a chronic shortage of drivers. Shortage of drivers in a timetable thats supposed to have increased services. Tuttuttut. Not looking good, really.
Correct with much of it after mid-afternoon was crewing issues causing further delays. It isn't responsible to the taxpayer to have unnecessary swathes of extra spare drivers and guards sitting around every weekend on the off-chance something like this happens only a few times a year.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
parraeel

Post by parraeel »

This is why you were delayed yesterday.

"track problems". You could say that...

moa999

Post by moa999 »

Holy *z.
I guess when it cracks the rolling weight quickly causes issues
andy_centralcoast

Aurora wrote:
Jurassic_Joke wrote:Not convinced that Ashfield alone could bring down the entire rail network (I dealt with a 40 minute delay on T4, which has nothing do with Ashfield), I did some further inquiring and found out the real reason why everything was crippled for the rest of the day was not only the failed signals/switch. But I found out also because of a chronic shortage of drivers. Shortage of drivers in a timetable thats supposed to have increased services. Tuttuttut. Not looking good, really.
Correct with much of it after mid-afternoon was crewing issues causing further delays. It isn't responsible to the taxpayer to have unnecessary swathes of extra spare drivers and guards sitting around every weekend on the off-chance something like this happens only a few times a year.
Those crewing issues are continuing today - Sydney Trains is reporting "services operating at a reduced frequency due to an ongoing operational issue". Upwards of 100 services have been cancelled today on T2, T3 and T8, plus a few on the T1 as well. Other lines appear to be unaffected.

Most late night and early morning services were also cancelled last night across the entire network. Customers were supposed to be directed to use the NightRide bus services (where available) in lieu of train services, but I've heard many felt stranded with no information provided about what was happening.

As with many recent disruptions, communication and updates to both staff and customers was virtually non-existent. Despite customers being asked check indicators and real-time apps, both were mostly useless yesterday with incorrect or missing information.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

andy_centralcoast wrote:
Most late night and early morning services were also cancelled last night across the entire network. Customers were supposed to be directed to use the NightRide bus services (where available) in lieu of train services.
And then pay substantially more than what you usually would with the train, because of the buses' broken fare bands. I got stung last night, having to take the NightRide home because my line finished service just over an hour early.

On an off peak fare for the train, on travel reward, my trip would've cost $1.21 (fare band 1, lowest). But on the NightRide I was forced to take instead, nope, $2.30 (fare band 3, highest), so almost double. Bit of a joke.Of course, wouldn't have been a problem if we still had the original Opal travel reward or MyMulti (both of which allowed "guilt free" travel) :D but not here to talk about that
Mercedes3035

Post by Mercedes3035 »

One of the cars on A44 had a cracked window yesterday, in the vestibule area. The carriage involved was closed off, but there was barely anyone on the train anyway so it didn't have much effect
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

a few hurstville peak trains have been cancelled due to an earlier disturbance at kings cross
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

Transport for NSW is investigating options to provide an on-request rail stop in Millthorpe. We are undertaking a feasibility exercise to commence planning to reinstate Millthorpe as a stop for XPT services.
https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/projec ... pe-station
sd1800

Post by sd1800 »

So I know I'm abit late to the conversation, but I also was part of the total mess on Saturday. Trains from Mt Colah non existent. Managed to get a city bound CCN service from hornsby to central which wasn't too bad, but central was a disaster zone. As has been mentioned, we were informed that nearly all trains parked at a platform were "waiting on a driver". I gave up and got the bus to Newtown.

Something interesting came out of it - I got on the 146am Central to Newcastle on Sunday morning, and it went via North Sydney and Macquarie park first stop Epping. You don't witness that one every day!

On a side note - spotto'd set F1 today pulling into Central heading southbound at about 1030am. Was there an event/trip on today?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
boronia

Post by boronia »

I saw F1 at Central last Saturday, being hauled by 4710
@ The Museum of Fire.
andy_centralcoast

sd1800 wrote: Something interesting came out of it - I got on the 146am Central to Newcastle on Sunday morning, and it went via North Sydney and Macquarie park first stop Epping. You don't witness that one every day!
Was that a diversion due to trackwork or part of the ongoing disruptions?

I've seen diversions via Gordon a few times but not often via ECRL. I wonder why it didn't also stop at Chatswood, or Town Hall and Wynyard.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Not much point stopping there if it is not timetabled to do so, and no-one would be waiting for it.
@ The Museum of Fire.
andy_centralcoast

In the past, they always seem to add Chatswood as a stop when diverted via the North Shore - I've never really understood why. Towards Central, adding a stop at Wynyard and Town Hall makes a lot of sense, as they're usually the actual destinations for many people.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Different if it is coming towards Central, but unless they know in advance, pax for Chatswood would probably get off at Hornsby
@ The Museum of Fire.
sd1800

Post by sd1800 »

andy_centralcoast wrote: Was that a diversion due to trackwork or part of the ongoing disruptions?

I've seen diversions via Gordon a few times but not often via ECRL. I wonder why it didn't also stop at Chatswood, or Town Hall and Wynyard.
I can only assume it was due to the ongoing disruptions as it was such an unusual diversion. It was quite eerie slowly rolling through town hall and Wynyard at 2am not stopping and not seeing a single soul on the platforms.

On another point, how about the number of S sets crawling around central / redfern due to the new timetable? They used to be quite uncommon 2 weeks ago, now the place is crawling with them. Nearly more s sets than waratahs!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
TSE_SecretAni
Favourite Vehicle: Yutong E12, Bustech VST, Orana

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

Something strange of Waratah DVA. Waratah say "Next stop Central. Please change at Central for Intercity & Regional trains departing from plat 1-15, T1 North Shore Line from platform 16, T2 Airport Line from platform 23 and T4 Eastern Suburbs Line from platform 24". They should update Waratah DVA of Central Interchange.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

Saw some kind of vintage railcar near Cowan this morning. Also very impressive Christmas Bush.
boronia

Post by boronia »

TSE_SecretAni wrote:Something strange of Waratah DVA. Waratah say "Next stop Central. Please change at Central for Intercity & Regional trains departing from plat 1-15, T1 North Shore Line from platform 16, T2 Airport Line from platform 23 and T4 Eastern Suburbs Line from platform 24". They should update Waratah DVA of Central Interchange.
Sometimes hear this one on Oscars. Rather stupid to be telling people on a train supposedly heading up the North Shore to change at Central to get another one.
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”