New TransportNSW.info Website

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Newcastle Flyer

Re: New TransportNSW.info Website

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

At Fleet Lists, because I didn't know what the reason was at first.

But you should let Transport Info & the Tripview websites know that no buses are being diverted along King &/or Wharf Rd/Honeysuckle Dr at the moment, for about the next month or so. Nor should they have the light rail on the official transport maps, until it allegedly is built &/or starts.

PS: Even the stops on the diversion are shown on Google Maps & Transport Info maps, even though those don't physically exist yet.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

You should contact Newcastle Transport who should advise Transport for NSW. It is up to the operator to do in such circumstances.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Fleet Lists wrote:You should contact Newcastle Transport
Yet don't you notify them of errors when it's Sydney buses?

PS: They didn't seem too interested yesterday.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I contact them when I have proven facts of what I am advising them which I would not have in this case as I do not know specifically what the deviations are and when they are supposed to have started and when they finish.
There is not much I can do about it if Newcastle Transport is not interested - which I am surprised about.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Has anyone tried the new Virtual Assistant? I tried a few questions and most of them it did not understand. It appears to only accept some very mundane questions.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fleet Lists wrote:I contact them when I have proven facts of what I am advising them which I would not have in this case as I do not know specifically what the deviations are and when they are supposed to have started and when they finish.
There is not much I can do about it if Newcastle Transport is not interested - which I am surprised about.
Newcastle changes to stops and routes have been posted in http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 2#p1011632
If the maps are still incorrect after 27th August when these changes are supposed to start, I will follow up as I now have definite facts.
Living in the Shire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

They should honestly be paying you a salary for quality assurance.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

A quick check through the maps for the Newcastle routes as from 27th August seems to indicate that they have all been updated as per the map except:
Temporary route 110 which has not been done.
Route 118 - Can not be checked as there are currently no maps shown as from 27th August - we will have to wait a few more days probably until Sunday.
Route 350 which is operating through both Hunter and King Sts on Sunday 27th August which would be caused by the late Saturday early Sunday morning trips - is OK from Monday so not a problem.

Route 110 seems to be the only problem. I will let them know if it has not been done by early next week.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

One other issue - routes 106 and 107 into Newcastle according to the new map do not continue to Newcastle Station anymore but stop at Queens Wharf. But the last three stops do not make sense:
Screenshot 2017-08-17 19.05.05.png
Screenshot 2017-08-17 19.05.05.png (13.46 KiB) Viewed 14128 times
Firrst of these three stops is at Queens Wharf, the next one at Argyle St which is further back from Newcastle and then the third one at Queens Wharf again.
I can see any odd trips which could cause this.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Fleet Lists wrote:Has anyone tried the new Virtual Assistant? I tried a few questions and most of them it did not understand. It appears to only accept some very mundane questions.
Not much different to the real assistants.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Further on the changed stops/routes.
There are a number of other routes which are effected by this - picked up from the Transport for NSW Bus alerts but were not included in the Transport for NSW advice.
Some are routes operated by operators other than Newcastle Transport - routes 130, 131, 138, 140 160 and 167 which will divert via Wharf Road like routes 106 and 107 but will terminate at Newcastle Station - the last three stops are 230011, 230014 and 230022 which I suspect should also be the last three stops for routes 106 and 107, I will advise Transport for NSW later this week if it is has not been fixed in the meantime,
Other are Newcastle Transport school routes 714, 719, 732, 815, 818, 824 and 836 where route 719 has not yet been done.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Earlier this year when the new format PDF timetables were introduced. there was some confusion when new bus timetables for all routes were introduced for the school holidays and then new timetables again after the school holidays. During the most recent June/July holidays there were no new timetables with all bus timetable showing the school term timetables during the school holidays.

A lot of work has since been done to integrate the school term and school holiday timetables into the one timetable. Also included are a lot more footnotes.

This has now been implemented for all Busways Western Sydney timetables and I believe three STA routes. I believe every effort is being made to try and get this implemented in most bus timetables before the next school holidays which start at the end of next week.

There are still some mall problems to be resolved as such as duplicated footnotes and footnotes with spelling errors such as viz instead if via in the STA timetables.

An example is route 680 which now looks like this https://web.archive.org/web/20170912030 ... 170828.pdf and previously looked like this https://web.archive.org/web/20170718225 ... 170529.pdf
And an interin messy version where they used numeric codes instead of alpha codes for the footnotes https://web.archive.org/web/20170830064 ... 170828.pdf
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I'm trying to plan a trip this weekend for family members from Bomaderry to Convention light rail stop, using the TfNSW trip planner. Now I know this should be a simple matter of train to Central then IWLR to Convention. However the only result that includes the tram is at about 0700 in the morning. Every other result throughout the day tells you get the train to Town Hall and then walk for 17 minutes to Convention. WTF?! There is no way of defining parameters in the search and there is no indication anywhere on the site of line closure on IWLR. The trip planner is certainly less friendly to use than the old one. I can't seem to dig my way out of this conundrum and might have to resort to old-fashioned looking up of timetables. Any ideas?
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

tonyp wrote:I'm trying to plan a trip this weekend for family members from Bomaderry to Convention light rail stop, using the TfNSW trip planner. Now I know this should be a simple matter of train to Central then IWLR to Convention. However the only result that includes the tram is at about 0700 in the morning. Every other result throughout the day tells you get the train to Town Hall and then walk for 17 minutes to Convention. WTF?! There is no way of defining parameters in the search and there is no indication anywhere on the site of line closure on IWLR. The trip planner is certainly less friendly to use than the old one. I can't seem to dig my way out of this conundrum and might have to resort to old-fashioned looking up of timetables. Any ideas?
Here you go - https://transportnsw.info/trip#/?wSpeed ... 1709300725

Just clicked on 'options', and opted for 'Least walking' as my Trip preference.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

BeauGiles wrote:
Just clicked on 'options', and opted for 'Least walking' as my Trip preference.
Thank you. It took a while to notice the options button!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

After making the same mistake of forgetting to check the options a couple of times I'm inclined to think that "least walking" should actually be a default setting. This particular search where the result ignores the tram in favour of walking actually means a longer trip, as using the tram to Darling Harbour from Central is faster than the train trip to Town Hall then walking. It's bizarre. The whole notion of the trip planner should be predicated on using public transport unless walking is actually faster.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

tonyp wrote:After making the same mistake of forgetting to check the options a couple of times I'm inclined to think that "least walking" should actually be a default setting. This particular search where the result ignores the tram in favour of walking actually means a longer trip, as using the tram to Darling Harbour from Central is faster than the train trip to Town Hall then walking. It's bizarre. The whole notion of the trip planner should be predicated on using public transport unless walking is actually faster.
Walking from Town Hall is two minutes faster than changing to light rail at Central according to the trip planner for your destination.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

rogf24 wrote: Walking from Town Hall is two minutes faster than changing to light rail at Central according to the trip planner for your destination.
My searches show the light rail journey as faster - 10 mins to Convention from Central. Via Town Hall is 17 minutes walk and time taken for train from Central to Town Hall. Probably more to the point is why anybody would want to walk via Town Hall when the tram goes directly there from Central? The trip planner is misleading with its default results and somebody unfamilar doesn't even get shown that there is a tram service. I think the only way to solve that is to reduce the default walking time.

There is a real-life tale to support this. The group of teens I was advising told me that they always went to the Convention centre by ferry after the south coast train! I asked how they did that and somehow they figured to get the train as far as Martin Place then walk to Circular Quay, then get the ferry all the way around under bridge to the bottom of Darling Harbour. Well, nice trip if you're a tourist I guess but it takes a hell of a long time! They hadn't even known that there was a tram at Central and the trip planner (as in my experience) did nothing to enlighten them that there is.

Also the ferry was well-publicised by the event organisers and the tram wasn't, which wouldn't help. Some of the darlings were convinced that the Convention centre was on an island which is why they had to go by ferry. I blame the school geography curriculum for not paying enough attention to developing situational awareness skills. :roll: :lol:

This all sort of suggests that the trip planner is not up to its job, because any such aid has to be pitched at the lowest common denominator. Publicising the existence of IWLR would not go astray either, although they're probably desperately trying to deter attracting more passengers at this stage!
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

The problem looks like the trip planner factored in a big transfer time between heavy rail and light rail. The train arrived at Central at 11:15 but the tram the trip planner gave you was at 11:30 when there's one at 11:20.

How was nearly 3 hours on Oscar seating this time round for you?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

rogf24 wrote:The problem looks like the trip planner factored in a big transfer time between heavy rail and light rail. The train arrived at Central at 11:15 but the tram the trip planner gave you was at 11:30 when there's one at 11:20.

How was nearly 3 hours on Oscar seating this time round for you?
I didn't do the trip nor would I. That's why I plan the trip for others!
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

I find Google Maps transit directions to be much easier to follow, and frequently more accurate too.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

see https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 171126.pdf
The latest on Transport Info website timetables - only seen on State Transit so far.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Maps are also available for Hillsbus and Interline.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Both Interline and Hillsbus have provided changed timetables for 26th November with links to Transport Info and not to their own PDF’s as they have done in the past.

The end of operator provided PDF timetables is coming.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Interline have now already updated all their current timetable links to link to the 26th November Transport Info timetables so their own PDF's are no longer available.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”