Firefox

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Fleet Lists
Administrator

Firefox

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have been a long time user of Firefox.
However since getting back from my cruise early last week I have had problems where my system was slowing down very badly and I had to restart once or twice a day.

I then noticed that Firefox was using an excessive amount of memory when the slow downs occurred. I then noticed that the slow downs appeared after loading PDF's for which the memory was not being released after releasing the PDF's. I then only needed to reload Firefox to return to normal processing. On one occasion this morning when I stopped Firefox it restarted without being able to load any pages. I tried again a few minutes later when I got the new Firefox Qantum which had just been downloaded onto my computer.

After that it appears the memory problem has been fixed.

Anyone else having any Firefox problems?
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Firefox

Post by boronia »

Not like that. I started having problems with the tabs: clicking on a topic in, say, ATDB would open a new tab or a new window, clicking on a open tab to select it would close it. Googling found a lot of other people with the same problems, and there were lots of suggestions on how to fix it.
I reloaded Firefox, and it settled down for a short time, then problem came back. So I switched over to IE and had same problem.

So I got rid of my MS mouse, and put in a $10 unit from the Reject Shop, and no more problems.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Fleet Lists wrote:I have been a long time user of Firefox.
However since getting back from my cruise early last week I have had problems where my system was slowing down very badly and I had to restart once or twice a day.

I then noticed that Firefox was using an excessive amount of memory when the slow downs occurred. I then noticed that the slow downs appeared after loading PDF's for which the memory was not being released after releasing the PDF's. I then only needed to reload Firefox to return to normal processing. On one occasion this morning when I stopped Firefox it restarted without being able to load any pages. I tried again a few minutes later when I got the new Firefox Qantum which had just been downloaded onto my computer.

After that it appears the memory problem has been fixed.

Anyone else having any Firefox problems?

Same experience as you. Everything is fast now.

The fix discovered by Craig which allows Photobucket photos to be viewed via Firefox is another bonus.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

But this morning right clicking on a link does not work. I have had to go to Edge to achieve that.
Living in the Shire.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

All browsers are equally-guilty of being huge resource hogs these days. This isn't helped by website designers who design their sites with as much Javascript, Flash, Silverlight and other un-necessary glitz and glamour as they possibly can.

A reboot on my 2011 Macbook Pro (with 8GB of memory!) is necessary every few days to clear out the huge amount of memory that Chrome loves to chew up, and not relinquish to the system.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Fleet Lists wrote:But this morning right clicking on a link does not work. I have had to go to Edge to achieve that.
Resolved by Telstra refreshing my NBN line.
Living in the Shire.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Firefox up until the new Quantum 57.0 release was a memory hog as it kept all the memory for all the tabs in one process, and made worse the longer you left the browser tabs open.
At work, I have about 15-20 tabs open for various things, and sometimes if left open overnight, it grinds to a halt.

New version splits it up somehow, but it's faster and hasn't dropped a beat yet - although by default it blocks the older addins from working, which at home is a deal breaker as I use a few that aren't being upgraded yet (author is doing testing at the moment).
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes I had noticed the new split which seems to be one lot for Firefox itself and one lot for each extra tab.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I have had some slow Firefox problems again especially when a number of PDf's are have been loaded not necessarily at the same time. I also notice there is now again only one memory figure for all Firefox and not split like it was back in November.
Edge seems to use about half the amount of memory when the same number of tabs are being used.
I might want to give Edge a go.
There are a few things like photobucket photos for which I will still need to use Firefox.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

After I changed my default browser from Firefox to Edge, the latter increased somewhat and Firefox decreased its memory usage but still more than Edge.

I kept one tab for a Gmail thread for a few things that Mail in Windows 10 does not do. When I removed the Gmail tab memory went down to less than half.

Now with four tabs running Edge is using 137 Mg while Firefox was frequently up to 1500Mg.

I can get along with only opening the Gmail tab when necessary and not keep it open all the time.

Norton is a bit worried though as it keeps telling me I am now using a browser it does not fully support.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Now I know why Edge has not been popular with users. It still has a lot of limitations and as a result I have gone back to Firefox
I have reorganised my Tabs and hopefully I should not have too many problems.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “The Lunch Room”