December 2017 timetable changes

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
hillsbus

December 2017 timetable changes

Post by hillsbus »

As has been hinted at, there will be O-Bahn service changes when the tunnel opens. At a guess I'd say they'd start on the first Sunday after the end of School term (17 December).

Anyone know how substantial the timetable changes will be or will it just reflect the Tunnell and Currie/Grenfell St bus stop changes?
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Re: December 2017 timetable changes

Post by The Phonj »

Considering that we haven't had any real (major) timetable changes in about three years and mainly 'tinkering around the edges' since; I think we're about due for a widespread change.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Some refinement of train substitute timetables would be ideal. IIRC, the H1 has the same amount of time from Adelaide to Grange/Outer Harbor (and back) regardless of what time of day/week it is. Why is this the case?

It's almost like giving every B10 31 minutes from stop 17 Grange Rd to E3 Currie St. I have noticed that the number of passengers using the service to get to stations before Port Adelaide is a fraction of the percentage of those going further, probably for this reason.
TT
Favourite Vehicle: Anything without SCANIA badge.

Post by TT »

There have been corflute signs on many of the posts (bus stops as well as taxi zones and loading zones) along Currie and Grenfell Sts for a few months seeking feedback on proposed significant changes to parking/bus stop/taxi rank locations along these two streets. Info, seeking feedback, has been on Ad Metro website for some time. And the real time info displays about to go into these 2 streets is all part of this. Talk of the 150/157 to 144/147 continuing to use these streets and not returning to North Terrace as well. And the 281 timetable losing its temporary extra 5 mins running time due to Hackney Rd tunnel works, the opening of the Obahn tunnel and the tramline extensions, would all indicate that there will be some timetable changes on the horizon.
jibb

Post by jibb »

TT wrote:There have been corflute signs on many of the posts (bus stops as well as taxi zones and loading zones) along Currie and Grenfell Sts for a few months seeking feedback on proposed significant changes to parking/bus stop/taxi rank locations along these two streets. Info, seeking feedback, has been on Ad Metro website for some time. And the real time info displays about to go into these 2 streets is all part of this. Talk of the 150/157 to 144/147 continuing to use these streets and not returning to North Terrace as well. And the 281 timetable losing its temporary extra 5 mins running time due to Hackney Rd tunnel works, the opening of the Obahn tunnel and the tramline extensions, would all indicate that there will be some timetable changes on the horizon.
G40,528 and 548 using Currie and Grenfell Streets will become permanent.
Once the tramline extension on North Terrace opens, it will be the main Public Transport service from East to West Terrace.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Regarding rerouting, I think the 230s should be through linked with 171s, and the 190/195/196 services through linked with Port Rd services such as the 115/117/118 continuing past Pultney St and turning into Grenfell St to continue west. The reason for this is that some 171s spend up to 28 minutes or more almost looping through the city from Botanic Rd, through KW St to Hutt Rd. If they ran from stop A3 instead of R1, it would at least save a few minutes.

I tend to think that it takes forever for a 171 to get out of the CBD. An alternative would to through link 171s and 172s with services that go along Port Rd. It would reduce the amount of time spent stuck in gridlock. The 171 and 172 routes must surely have the most indirect route through the CBD out of all the city routes.

There are several solutions to this, but I think that in a way, the 171 could almost be renamed the 98M :).
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

does anybody know what will be happening all the o'bahn services with the tunnel coming into service.i need to know what timetables will be changing for work purposes in the new year.I currently use on the way to work any service to the city ex KLEMZIG STATION and connect onto a 200 onto Panorama but coming back is either a G10 OR G40 TO THE CITY do whatever it is I need to do then any O'bahn or a 174/176/178 home(I live in Payneham and use the other three services if it's too warm to walk from the o'bahn interchange home).If I knew what was going on and this is just before I leave for holidays I would have not considered booking a limo to the airport but lugging bags from home to the bus interchange and relying on connections that might not always work is not my idea of fun to make life easier for my mother even if it works out a hell of a lot cheaper than a hughes limousine service.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

Keep the 171 the way it is.The existing system of how it starts it's service usually ex NEWTON OR ATHELSTONE OR PARADISE as a 178 then changes to a 171 is ideal for a lot of people.I live in Payneham and will never forget my second week at the place I work now where I had to go to Mitcham to the Motor Registration place to get the license reinstated(this was in August 2016)and the registration renewed and the 178/171 combo made my life a lot easier.in fact while it might work out faster to get the 300 bus there are not a lot of those that work to ones schedules as I had to continue afterwards onto Panorama on a 300 about 40 minutes later.While we are at it can we suggest bringing back the O'BAHN FOR ATHELSTONE residents who till late 2005 had the luxury of either a straight through 576/577 or one of those to Paradise Interchange and a connecting service onwards.THE EXISTING H30/178 is a farce for a lot of these people.Years and Years ago they allowed Serco and Torrens Transit to compete in the same part of town so I don't see why not they can't do the same for LIGHT CITY BUSES AND TORRENS TRANSIT.
Last edited by homer9000 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
jibb

Post by jibb »

As far as we are aware all O-Bahn timetables will change when the new tunnel opens. Many trips will have reduced running times,and there will be changes to all bus stops in Grenfell and Currie Streets..
As to the commencing date the Minister and the Department are keeping that under wraps at the moment.
Usually changes to timetables are notified to the public a couple of weeks before implementation.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

The Phonj wrote:Considering that we haven't had any real (major) timetable changes in about three years and mainly 'tinkering around the edges' since; I think we're about due for a widespread change.
We're also due for an election in a few months' time and politicians would be very nervous about any major timetable changes so close to an election.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Only if it puts their re-election in any doubt. If it favours them they would be hammering on Stephen Mullighan's door for those changes.
soak01

Post by soak01 »

jibb wrote:As far as we are aware all O-Bahn timetables will change when the new tunnel opens. Many trips will have reduced running times,and there will be changes to all bus stops in Grenfell and Currie Streets..
As to the commencing date the Minister and the Department are keeping that under wraps at the moment.
Usually changes to timetables are notified to the public a couple of weeks before implementation.
I hope they fix the punctuality of the 503. It must have one of the worst on-time records of any o-bahn route. Evening peak hour services which run from the City to TTP via Paradise and Valiant Road particularly seem to struggle keeping to time with services regularly operating up to 15mins or more late. This causes a knock on effect at F4 with the queue nightly doubling back from the corner of Gawler Place to in front of Rundle Place. Heaven help us once all door boarding starts, its going to be like a scrum trying to get on.

Also if someone could explain why the am (TTP to City) and pm (City to TTP) 503's are usually rigids but the am Paradise to TTP and pm TTP to Paradise are always artics. I would of thought the opposite would apply.

Well lets bring on the tunnel. Speaking of which and sorry if it has been already mentioned, but is there any truth to the rumour that all o-bahn buses have had to have their driver side wing mirrors changed as in testing they keep knocking into each other when buses pass each other in the tunnel. Also a maximum of 3 buses in each direction will be allowed in the tunnel meaning peak hour services are going to have to wait before entering the tunnel (there goes my 3 minute saving).
jibb

Post by jibb »

Where did you get your info re 3 buses maximum in the tunnel at any one time?
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

the other thing I would like to suggest is for NON CLAPHAM STARTING 200's.that means GETTING Rid of the farce that is the 200B and make it a standard 200 that goes via it's existing path ex Marion to Panorama and all the other surrounding streets that have existed on it's path going back to the days of the old 210/214 and old 197 before that service was dropped for both the present day 200 and for the most part the present day 300 but then via Eliza Place and Springbank Rd then via existing route to the city.For me it would mean not always in the afternoons after leaving work at Bedford always having to wait for ONE of the earlier G10's or the 3:30pm G40 back to the City on Goodwood Rd.other than that it's a great service the 200 and I find it pleasant not to be squeezed in like a sardine unlike the other services I have mentioned.
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

homer9000 wrote:the other thing I would like to suggest is for NON CLAPHAM STARTING 200's.that means GETTING Rid of the farce that is the 200B and make it a standard 200 that goes via it's existing path ex Marion to Panorama and all the other surrounding streets that have existed on it's path going back to the days of the old 210/214 and old 197 before that service was dropped for both the present day 200 and for the most part the present day 300 but then via Eliza Place and Springbank Rd then via existing route to the city.For me it would mean not always in the afternoons after leaving work at Bedford always having to wait for ONE of the earlier G10's or the 3:30pm G40 back to the City on Goodwood Rd.other than that it's a great service the 200 and I find it pleasant not to be squeezed in like a sardine unlike the other services I have mentioned.
A good suggestion here with the 200B, and I'd suggest the same with the 203B. Instead have all 203/209 services start and finish at TTP.

Another thought is (and I know I've mentioned it here before) to start simplifying Route numbers to encourage people to use Public Transport. A few examples that come to mind are H21 (no service via Henley Beach Road) return to Route 126, H20C - return to 125 or 135 respectively), H30S - 105, X30S - 130/137 then 104/105; 178S > 175, 178M > 179 (either to finish at Maryvale Road or back to it's original terminus on Quandong Avenue with 176 currently); 176G > 177 (continue straight via Darley Road to Paradise I/C, where several 176G services end up as Not In Service anyway). There are several more routes that should have this done and it would improve it greatly. I have heard several people comment on how difficult some of our routes are to understand - a classic example was when someone asked me about a W90M!
These are simple enough changes, but then people will be less confused what services go where (G10, G10B, G10C etc also come to mind), even if we have to keep the through running services as G10s etc get rid of the confusing numbers (eg X30S) and with an election coming up, what better way to bring more people to Public Transport than make it simplified and easy for people to follow
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

I would like to see some buses along Franklin and Flinders Street. For example 167 and 168 could instead go via these streets instead of Currie and Grenfell Street
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

MTT constructed a tram line along Flinders St, between Pulteney St and Victoria Sq which was used by trams from Burnside and Dulwich between 1921 and 1923. The routing was not popular with the travelling public. For those not familiar, trams on these routes accessed the City from the Britannia via Wakefield Rd in lieu of the more familiar buses along Dequetteville Tce.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
jibb

Post by jibb »

Flinders Street was used for a number of years by Racecourse trams returning from Victoria Park. Trams ran down Flinders Street and turned left into the South-Eastern corner of Victoria Square,where services to the Racecourse began. It wasn't a very well used location,and led to the eventual demise of the service in the mid 1950's.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Is there many north easterners wanting to go to Flinders University (City Campus) ?
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

Is there expected to be any new routes introduced in the upcoming changes? Would be cool to see a few loop services coming back
jibb

Post by jibb »

Eurostar wrote:Is there many north easterners wanting to go to Flinders University (City Campus) ?
I reckon the G40 route should be abolished. Goodwood Road G10 services should be increased from 30 minutes to 15 minutes between 900am and 300pm to compensate for this.
Those G40 buses could be put to better use to improve frequencies on the O-Bahn between TTP and the City.
Once the new Flinders Link train service opens in January 2019 there won't be the need for so many buses to go to Flinders Medical Centre and Flinders University.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

more 200's and get rid of that silly boothby street path for all services weekdays between 7am and 7pm along eliza place.15 minutes frequencies for all services.even if it means the bus that would have been used for the earlier g40's gets switched to the afternoon ones for most of say the Bedford Panorama workers which means a 3:20pm,3:35pm,3:50pm but goes via the old 197 as far as kent rd colonel light gardens then the existing path through to hawthorn,hyde park,unley and into the city then continues as a 206 or 208 onto northgate or paradise to use but one example.keep the g40 for the goodwood rd commuters who need it most i say and for people in the north eastern suburbs and eastern suburbs such as klemzig who need it most and paradise and ttp but what i don't get is why they run it all the way up to golden grove village when for the most part you could make that into a 541X from the city end for the most part every 15 minutes and reintroduce the old J3 assuming the airport bus rights go back to light city buses anytime soon for Fairview Park with every alternate service going to golden grove village but as a 7 day a week service this time around as opposed to weekends.I prefer the 200 personally on the way to work as it has hardly any workers on there bar three of us whereas the g10/g20/g40's are like a sardine by comparison.more 548's to cover the part of golden grove rd the 203/209F doesn't cover when one needs an all stopper is a bonus.and make all g40's ttp terminators.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Unfortunately J1-J3 will stay as is with Torrens Transit.
G40 services during the day run as G40M only to TTP,only in peak hours to Golden Grove.
bigrobbo

Post by bigrobbo »

jibb wrote:I reckon the G40 route should be abolished. Goodwood Road G10 services should be increased from 30 minutes to 15 minutes between 900am and 300pm to compensate for this.
Those G40 buses could be put to better use to improve frequencies on the O-Bahn between TTP and the City.
Once the new Flinders Link train service opens in January 2019 there won't be the need for so many buses to go to Flinders Medical Centre and Flinders University.
Maybe for 2018, we may need to cut the G40 in two. Having express or semi express buses to and from Flinders Uni are popular.

In 2019, the demand may decrease. Depends if the same level of demand is around the Central Market for a express service to Flinders
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

bigrobbo wrote:
jibb wrote:I reckon the G40 route should be abolished. Goodwood Road G10 services should be increased from 30 minutes to 15 minutes between 900am and 300pm to compensate for this.
Maybe for 2018, we may need to cut the G40 in two. Having express or semi express buses to and from Flinders Uni are popular.

In 2019, the demand may decrease. Depends if the same level of demand is around the Central Market for a express service to Flinders
If the G40 is to be split you would the best time to do it is in conjunction with the opening of the O-Bahn tunnel as all O-Bahn services will be travelling via Currie & Grenfell Street, where Goodwood Road buses to Flinders/Marion have always (or at least for a very long time) departed from King William Street, and travelled via Central Market. The City to Flinders/Marion services could return to running along the lines of the old 217F/218F for limited stops or G10 (what was 210/216 etc) for all stops services, and the City to Golden Grove side would see a simple return to a 540 either from city or starting at TTP on the same route as the G40 unless changes are made. Just suggestions though, trying to think what would be logical and best for PT passengers.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”