Central Station Redevelopment

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
mandonov

Re: I still say it was meant as as distraction!

Post by mandonov »

tonyp wrote: Consider yourself lucky that Hungry Jacks nobly tried to sacrifice Central Station by putting all its fat and grease up its flue rather than through your arteries.
Not that it makes much of a difference, but it was Krispy Kreme that didn't clean their vents, hence starting the fire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Central Station Redevelopment

Post by boronia »

I never realised that donuts could be so dangerous. :shock:
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

boronia wrote:I never realised that donuts could be so dangerous. :shock:
Even more so if you eat too many!
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Daniel wrote:Surely the distruption to ESR services would be too great. Rail safeworking and construction safety standards have moved on considerably since the late 1970s.
Seen CrossRail 'thread the needle' construction - Pretty sure 25/26 was built so that a new line could be added without impeding operations on 23/24 and it has stub tunnels at either end.

Now how much reconstruction you would need to do to meet modern standards I don't know
Route243
Favourite Vehicle: B12LEA

Post by Route243 »

What I hope is that capacity in terms of trains per hour can be beefed up.

Really the problem with Sydney is that there is not a second Central style station. Which could hinder growth.

Like Melbourne has two large stations in Southern Cross (Spencer Street) and the iconic Flinders Street.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Always having something to say, having a good laugh and having fun all at the same time.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Sydney has a long thin CBD, whereas Melbourne seems to be more "squared" out.

Perhaps the originally suggested terminal station in Hyde Park would solve the problem?
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote:Sydney has a long thin CBD, whereas Melbourne seems to be more "squared" out.
I would have thought that the comparison would be to say that Melbourne has a short fat CBD. :wink:
boronia wrote:Perhaps the originally suggested terminal station in Hyde Park would solve the problem?
Yes, Hyde Park is certainly a nice big vacant piece of land that isn't doing much right now. 8)
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

tonyp wrote:
boronia wrote:Sydney has a long thin CBD, whereas Melbourne seems to be more "squared" out.
I would have thought that the comparison would be to say that Melbourne has a short fat CBD.
As Barry Humphreys would say, "long and thin goes right in, short and thick does the trick".
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

I think we need to start to divert train line away from cbd or central
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
boronia

Post by boronia »

A few years ago they were going to build a branch down towards Barangaroo, but now there will be Metros in the way.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

boronia wrote:A few years ago they were going to build a branch down towards Barangaroo, but now there will be Metros in the way.
I still believe the City Relief Line will eventually be built as you can't keep on running more and more suburban trains into Central's terminal platforms, which is why the City Underground was built in the first place. The original plan was to terminate at Wynyard, but now that Barangaroo is to get its own metro station, it could be extended to interchange with the metro line, preferably with cross platform transfers. I suppose it would be wishful thinking to expect the Barangaroo Station design to allow for it in the future . It could also cater for a fast DD express from Parramatta to the CBD via the Main tracks.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Some posts moved to http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=83234 where they appear more appropriate.
Living in the Shire.
Route243

Post by Route243 »

tonyp wrote:
Newcastle Flyer wrote: And you WANT that certain fast food shop to return? It was one of the most expensive, and poorly made/cooked food compared to the other stores of the same chain nearby.

As for the real topic of this, didn't Labor also "revamp" Central Station a number of years ago? Also note is the word "could", not "will".
Central had a really major rebuild/restoration/modernisation in the 80s and 90s, not just a revamp. I don't know why it's being made out to be an old run-down station. All they had to do was look after it, which is not one of the railways' specialties when it comes to its assets.

Letting those trashy fast food places into the former interstate booking office was asking for trouble too. It's in the condition it's in now because Hungry Jacks tried to burn the whole station down with their filthy waste. The place just needs some good asset management.

And bring back the old TCS!
Totally agree. They spent millions on the V set refurbishment a couple of years back. Now they look as crappy as they were before.
Always having something to say, having a good laugh and having fun all at the same time.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Needs a covered walkway from G down to Railway Sq or direct access to the Devonshire St Tunnel.
@ The Museum of Fire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Route243 wrote: Totally agree. They spent millions on the V set refurbishment a couple of years back. Now they look as crappy as they were before.
I find V Set's to generally be quite clean. It's rare for me to board one that is visibly dirty.

Scratched windows are a whole other thing though :x
boronia

Post by boronia »

mandonov wrote:
Route243 wrote: Totally agree. They spent millions on the V set refurbishment a couple of years back. Now they look as crappy as they were before.
I find V Set's to generally be quite clean. It's rare for me to board one that is visibly dirty.

I find that too; a team of cleaners descends on them at Central, they even try to confiscate my coffee if I put it down for a second.

I don't know about the other end of the trip, but Up BMT trains are usually good if I catch one in from Penrith. There are full time cleaners at Penrith for T1 terminators, perhaps they go up to Emu Plains on those services.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Route243

Post by Route243 »

boronia wrote:
mandonov wrote: I find V Set's to generally be quite clean. It's rare for me to board one that is visibly dirty.

I find that too; a team of cleaners descends on them at Central, they even try to confiscate my coffee if I put it down for a second.

I don't know about the other end of the trip, but Up BMT trains are usually good if I catch one in from Penrith. There are full time cleaners at Penrith for T1 terminators, perhaps they go up to Emu Plains on those services.
Oh please.

On the V Sets serving the Central Coast and Newcastle Line, the toilets on board are grotty. Some even with broken toilet seats. Worse still sometimes the water tanks are empty such that one is unable to flush and/or wash hands. In addition there are no soap dispensers.

In Japan I have used toilets on Shinkansen and they are immaculate. Even their ordinary trains are clean.

Now if you think comparison with Japan is not fair, I have travelled on QR City Train between Gold Coast and Brisbane, their trains are immaculate including the toilet facilities.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

I generally don't find cleaness a problem on trains.

If anything, they are too clean. You get on a train these days and there are no copies of the Telegraph or MX lying around to read.

I am not a big user of train toilets, but "grottiness" is a problem with those, everywhere.
boronia

Post by boronia »

It would be a very dirty train if you found a copy of mX. :lol:
@ The Museum of Fire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Development applications have finally been lodged for new tenants in the Grand Concourse.

The first is for a relocated coffee kiosk, located adjacent to the newer ticket gates:
https://online.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/ ... pl=1307791

The second is for a restaurant and wine bar named 'Eternity', located in the old booking hall:
https://online.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/ ... pl=1318343

The final is for the "Refit of the former Dining Hall and Cafeteria of Central Railway Station as a cafe, convenience food store and food outlet"
This DA isn't on exhibition just yet.
https://online.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/ ... pl=1319289
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

mandonov wrote: The second is for a restaurant and wine bar named 'Eternity', located in the old booking hall:
I assume that's a name themed-in with the location and refers to the duration of a typical train journey in NSW.
Stu

Post by Stu »

I miss eating a sub standard burger and chips whilst having pigeons fly onto the table to harass me and sometimes drop sticky bombs from the ceiling :twisted:
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Renders do look good
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

The best laugh out of it is the DA notification area...
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Daniel wrote:The best laugh out of it is the DA notification area...
I reckon AusPost would be broke without some of these superfluous mail outs

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”