Shoal Bus MAN Volgrens

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
tonyp

Shoal Bus MAN Volgrens

Post by tonyp »

In a discussion on a NSW thread I referred to these new units, 8376MO and 8377MO, delivered in January 2017.

http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... l#p1005036

I've finally caught up with these buses stopping long enough to photograph, in Stewart Place terminus, Nowra. I referred in the previous discussion to the fact that Shoal Bus has chosen to forego the usual Volgren bonded glazing that extends down to the waistline and has merely had the bodywork openings behind the glass - which step up with the seats towards the back - glazed. The typical Volgren "straightline" look has been preserved by painting the whole window band black. In the distance it looks like a normal Volgren. Close-up those small windows look a little weird. Here is the Volgren drawing showing the typical window cut-outs behind the normal bonded glazing:

Here is 8376:
8376a1.jpg
8376a1.jpg (151.13 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
8377:
8377a1.jpg
8377a1.jpg (154.58 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
and its rear windows:
8377b1.jpg
8377b1.jpg (93.88 KiB) Viewed 7343 times
(Mods are welcome to grab these photos for fleetlists if desired. I have full res originals if required.)
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Shoal Bus MAN Volgrens

Post by Swift »

Can Volgren come up with a better front than that? Looks so generic. Their previous one was the best from this body shell. That built in pod at the back of the roof looks plain weird. Fire the designers of this garbage!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Swift

Post by Swift »

If only they would develop this version.
Attachments
Volgren-Optima-Route-Bus-3.jpg
Volgren-Optima-Route-Bus-3.jpg (77.54 KiB) Viewed 7147 times
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Now that looks better, but that rear pod is for an engine intake mind you. You also need to note that the Full low floor version is only available with certain bus chassis that don't have a step to the rear. And there isn't a RHD rigid chassis available with more than 2 doors (at least I think)
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Swift wrote:If only they would develop this version.
Bus Suggestions wrote:Now that looks better, but that rear pod is for an engine intake mind you. You also need to note that the Full low floor version is only available with certain bus chassis that don't have a step to the rear. And there isn't a RHD rigid chassis available with more than 2 doors (at least I think)
We need somebody to post photos of the Melbourne Skybus fully low-floor Volgrens on Scania N series chassis with vertical rear engine - this is as close as we get to this concept in Australia so far. However, the only low floor chassis available here (Scania and MAN) haven't had the rear mechanicals reversed to enable a door behind the rear axle on the left side. Two doors between the axles should be possible though.
Swift

Post by Swift »

How bout this for a stop gap? You would think some Australian company could re -engineer the MAN and Scania low floor chassis to allow rear doors. I think the key is the state admins need to request such a configuration for our roads.
Attachments
RobinBus.jpg
RobinBus.jpg (75.54 KiB) Viewed 7002 times
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The chassis manufacturers won't go to the cost of re-engineering the rear mechanicals until there is a significant demand in the whole RHD market internationally. Since the RHD bus market is mainly conservative British-influenced, that probably won't happen any time soon. Unless somewhere like Singapore or Japan catches onto the benefits.
Swift

Post by Swift »

tonyp wrote: Unless somewhere like Singapore or Japan catches onto the benefits.
Exactly!

Return to “Photos - Sydney/NSW”