Sydney Buses Maps

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Sydney Buses Maps

Post by Fleet Lists »

But if you try to create one for the whole of Sydney you are going to finish up with something the size of a Gregories or UBD street directory.
And would change so frequently it would be out of date by the time it was printed.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Sydney and the nearby surronds had something similar to the LHTG book about 10 years ago or so.
For Sydney, they could combine the four or so Sydney STA maps in a book.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Just combining the STA maps does not do anything. Sydney is a lot more than just the STA.
Living in the Shire.
08 XDi

Post by 08 XDi »

Large whole of system maps only need to be made available in PDF. This is exactly what already happens in Adelaide, and it works fine.

Melbourne can be pieced together in this way using the local area maps, but the approach to publishing them (by the LGA name) is very unsatisfactory, particularly if you are a visitor.
Elvis has left the building!
Tallewang

Post by Tallewang »

Today, I came across this very interesting document, which doesn't seem to be linked from anywhere on the trip-planner website that I can find.

http://www.sydneybuses.info/prepay/MyZone_Booklet.pdf

This extremely interesting booklet contains, hidden away in the document where you wouldn't find it, a very capable map showing the coverage of bus services in the inner suburbs around downtown Sydney. It's on page 37.

This is exactly the sort of map which I had in mind when I started this thread.

This map would be invaluable to tourists and also to anyone from the outer suburbs who is visiting inner Sydney but is not intimately familiar with it.

The map which is on page 37 of this booklet, should be converted to a separate document and linked to from this page here

http://www.transportnsw.info/en/maps-an ... index.page?

because it meets and obvious need which is not currently met by any of the maps currently attached to that web page.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ 'Metrobus' is a brand that is obviously operated by a number of bus operators organisations so it appears as if STA are advertising its own metrobus services as well as other non STA operated metrobus services to provide an overall picture to the general public. Aslo, STA is a public transport authority of the NSW government so it is another advertising channel for TfNSW to use when promoting the whole metrobus brand.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Issuing that CBD map at the moment would be a waste of effort - it should all start to change very soon.

When it is reissued, it would be nice to see ALL CBD services there.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

........and am I right in observing that local area maps are disappearing from Sydney's CBD bus shelters?
Tallewang

Post by Tallewang »

Tonymercury wrote:Issuing that CBD map at the moment would be a waste of effort - it should all start to change very soon.

When it is reissued, it would be nice to see ALL CBD services there.
There is already an adequate map of services and routes in the CBD proper. What is currently missing from the website, is a map of linkages to nearby inner suburbs, many of which are too far to conveniently walk from the CBD stations. The other very nice maps which show services in the backblocks of Ryde and Warringah and Canterbury, do not show the inner suburbs on a readable scale.

And I think you are missing the point with your claim that issuing the map would be a waste of effort. It would take a competent website manager about 10 minutes to link that map, which already exists , from the website.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

lunchbox wrote:........and am I right in observing that local area maps are disappearing from Sydney's CBD bus shelters?

Kevin,

All of the maps seem to be disappearing, even the interchanges.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

I recently called 131500 for them to post me a STA Region Map. They refused. I complained to the Minister. His minion has responded with what amounts to a polite "get stuffed", telling me how easy it is to get a region map off the web, or an app.

STA Region maps take ages to download on a PC. And you can't take your PC with you when you travel. Region maps are unreadable on anything smaller than A3, and not many people would have an A3-capable colour printer at the ready.

The bottom line is - you can't get STA Region maps any more.

My question is - can you still get region maps from the "private" operators with a phone call? If we can, maybe its time to "privatise" STA!
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

^ At 1.75MB for the latest version of the eastern region map, it should almost be instant download on almost any connection.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Why would you take a giant region map with you anyway? Something like 85% of Australians now have a smartphone (and almost none on the soon obsolete 2G standard). Download it there and use pinch and zoom if it's too tiny. Better yet, use an app to plan your trip like Google Maps (which is real time as long as you have mobile internet now) or another app like the handy old Tripview.

It doesn't take too long to download on PC either unless you're on dial up. 1.75MB takes no time at all on my 100mbps NBN connection. Even the most popular 25mbps connection isn't too bad.
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

^^^^Because, rogf24, the A3 sheet folds conveniently to A4, it can be read in bright sunlight, its batteries dont go flat, it doesn't require an internet search, the 15% (100 - 85) is significant, and what's more, its government policy to provide such info on paper.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The region maps seem to be operator specific, so do not include services which overlap from other regions. That can sometimes result in poor trip planning, if you rely solely on one map.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

rogf24 wrote:Why would you take a giant region map with you anyway? Something like 85% of Australians now have a smartphone (and almost none on the soon obsolete 2G standard). Download it there and use pinch and zoom if it's too tiny. Better yet, use an app to plan your trip like Google Maps (which is real time as long as you have mobile internet now) or another app like the handy old Tripview.
You should always put yourself in the position of a tourist or non public transport user, or imagine you are in a city you have never been to before.

Then you may think differently.

Paper maps still have a place.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

I have been advised that the Newcastle Transport information office, map and timetables were introduced over the dead bodies of some at TfNSW.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Glen wrote:
rogf24 wrote:Why would you take a giant region map with you anyway? Something like 85% of Australians now have a smartphone (and almost none on the soon obsolete 2G standard). Download it there and use pinch and zoom if it's too tiny. Better yet, use an app to plan your trip like Google Maps (which is real time as long as you have mobile internet now) or another app like the handy old Tripview.
You should always put yourself in the position of a tourist or non public transport user, or imagine you are in a city you have never been to before.

Definitely. The first thing I like to do when I visit a "foreign" location is get a map of the transport system to find good places to visit (or just go for a ride). Can't always do that easily with smartphone maps.

The apps are useful when it is time to start planning those trips, though.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Tonymercury wrote:I have been advised that the Newcastle Transport information office, map and timetables were introduced over the dead bodies of some at TfNSW.
Never mind maps, sometimes I think public transport itself in NSW is introduced over the dead bodies of some at TfNSW. The latest case in point being the Elton John concert in Wollongong.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

boronia wrote:
Glen wrote:You should always put yourself in the position of a tourist or non public transport user, or imagine you are in a city you have never been to before.

Definitely. The first thing I like to do when I visit a "foreign" location is get a map of the transport system to find good places to visit (or just go for a ride). Can't always do that easily with smartphone maps.

The apps are useful when it is time to start planning those trips, though.
Dunno about you but I was in Delhi, a very, very crazy city of all places on Earth, yet I got by fine on the Delhi Metro, buses, Uber, richshaws, etc with smartphone information only. No need for a paper map and I survived and got a lot out of the place despite all its craziness and no map, not even a paper Metro map. And this was in Delhi, hardly a first world city, yet a smartphone was good.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Can't think of the last time I used a paper map overseas
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

moa999 wrote:Can't think of the last time I used a paper map overseas
And everyone else in the world is a clone of you?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Tonymercury wrote: And everyone else in the world is a clone of you?
Certainly not me as the missus will attest with the perpetual question of "what the hell do you need to keep all those old timetables for?"!

I feel unable to comment as typical travelling public because, as a perpetual student of transport, I always like to get an overview first and the paper map and timetable is something where you simply can't get the convenience on a phone or computer. However, as far as the actual journey is concerned, the electronic journey planner is unbeatable.

One big problem I find with mobile phones is that in sunlight/daylight (which is what it usually is waiting at a transit stop) you can't see the screen and you're searching around for some shade. In this sense, the backup timetable display at the stop or the paper timetable in your pocket is unbeatable.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Tonymercury wrote:
moa999 wrote:Can't think of the last time I used a paper map overseas
And everyone else in the world is a clone of you?
Aggressive much.
I was simply making the point that tourists are not a reason for paper maps, I don't see them any different from local residents.

Now given I'm prepared to pay for mapping apps (eg. TripView paid), data and phone, would you be prepared to pay for paper maps??
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

moa999 wrote: I was simply making the point that tourists are not a reason for paper maps, I don't see them any different from local residents.
Tourists are very much a reason for paper maps and most transit agencies I've experienced in Europe to go out of their way to produce some very good paper maps and guides specifically for tourists

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”