Tram planning as part of a bigger public transport picture

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
jibb

Tram planning as part of a bigger public transport picture

Post by jibb »

Interesting article in today's " In Daily" re future plans for Adelaide's Trams,Trains and Buses.
http://www.indaily.com.au/news/2017/03/ ... rt-picture
bigrobbo

Re: Tram planning as part of a bigger public transport pictu

Post by bigrobbo »

It's a very interesting read. This obsession that this Government has with trams is fascinating.

I get the extension to The Entertainment Centre. Though, I still think it is quicker by bus from the Ent Cent to the Railway Station.

I get the extension down King William Road which helps with Adelaide Oval patrons.

But, will demand for the tram increase patronage to other areas? I thought UniSA were looking at leaving the Magill Campus.

Would people still use the tram when it runs on the street with cars? In Melbourne it is "romantic" to get on a tram. But the trams are generally tiny (though, with very frequent services).

Are we seduced by the patronage within the city mile?

My point of view - modernise what we have. Electrify the Gawler Line as a priority. Look at buses that will service the new RAH and how that will effect North Tce traffic flow. There are a lot of people who currently use services, especially busway services, from the old RAH.

Though I am happy there is a plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Heardy_101
Favourite Vehicle: 2000 Class Railcar (Jumbo)

Post by Heardy_101 »

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Imagine if the argument against closing the network (which was successfully used in Melbourne despite the same argument for closure being used) worked. Would have saved the State billions. Sigh. Or, even closing down some of the quieter routes while keeping the major routes such as Henley Beach, Hyde Park, Kensington and Prospect.
Cheers, Mitchell Heard

South Australian Regional Rail Alliance
www.facebook.com/SARegionalRailAlliance
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

The article does lead with a title - Sponsored Content....
The bottom of the article reads that Solstice Media has partnered with SA Government....

Just ensuring everyone sees the tone of writing - I enjoy positive (independent) opinions and reviews, however when a partnership is in play, and sponsored content... the independent tone seems a little less resounding....but then the disclaimers do state they are just providing information.

Are we in an election year? Whilst we were talking about light rail, the discussion totally ignores the recent heavy rail announcement to Port Adelaide/Jacketts Station locality.... how long is the timeline of the AdeLINK project or am i sounding too much like a fan of Working Dog productions (Utopia).

IIRC - Several years ago when the first Football Park IUD was touted.. the suggestion showed light rail down West Lakes Boulevard to a terminus set to be installed on Turner drive (out front of Maccas). That suggestion was pegged at or near to year 2020? Perhaps its more of a 2050plan.
Heardy_101
Favourite Vehicle: 2000 Class Railcar (Jumbo)

Post by Heardy_101 »

The whole tram to Footy Park thing was reliant on football staying at FP long term, and was planned well before the move to Adelaide Oval. I thought they quietly scrapped it sometime after that?
Cheers, Mitchell Heard

South Australian Regional Rail Alliance
www.facebook.com/SARegionalRailAlliance
thedom
Favourite Vehicle: Jumbo (on an express service)

Post by thedom »

Not quite correct... football was no longer the plan for football park when they touted the west lakes branch of light rail.
Westside

Post by Westside »

Heardy_101 wrote:The whole tram to Footy Park thing was reliant on football staying at FP long term, and was planned well before the move to Adelaide Oval. I thought they quietly scrapped it sometime after that?
The tram to West Lakes was always designed to feed a new TOD on the land that would become vacant after the closure and redevelopment of Footy Park.

Shame it'll all happen too late now (if at all).
The good stuff is above!

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”