MAN 16.242
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200

PT users give 60% approval rating to Melbourne PT system

Post by MAN 16.242 »

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 62,00.html
Users sick of crowds, delays on public transport
Fiona Hudson
February 17, 2008 12:00am

SATISFACTION among Melbourne's public transport users has nose-dived as unhappy commuters tire of overcrowded conditions.

Tram, train and bus passengers give the system a score of only 60 out of 100, analysis of freshly obtained passenger surveys reveals.

Passengers on the Upfield train line are the least content, awarding the route only 53.7 out of 100. Lilydale passengers are the least crotchety, awarding the line 67.2 points.

The No.8 to Toorak carries the most dissatisfied tram passengers, with users awarding the line 60 out of 100.

Satisfaction among V/Line train users was significantly higher, with Echuca-bound passengers awarding the line a score of 92.

Fed-up travellers who regularly miss out on a seat were a key cause of sagging satisfaction levels among train and tram users for the year October 2006-September 2007.

Two-thirds of Connex passengers surveyed between July-September 2007 griped to researchers that the trains were not on time, a third demanded bigger carriages and many wanted more frequent peak-hour services.

Train users rated the metropolitan network 58.8 out of 100, down from 64.2 the previous year and a significant drop from the 2001 rating of 70.2.

Vexed tram travellers told researchers Wallis Consulting they wanted more trams, more seats and ticket machines to take either bank notes or EFTPOS.

Overall satisfaction with trams was 68.4, down from a score of 72 the previous year. The main complaints were about service delivery, comfort and cleanliness.

And the opinions of bus passengers dipped slightly, from 68.5 to 67.7 last September.

The Sunday Herald Sun obtained the quarterly Customer Satisfaction Monitoring Survey results for the period October 2006 - September 2007 from the Department of Infrastructure using Freedom of Information laws.

The reports are based on monthly phone interviews by Wallis Consulting. For the period July-September 2007, about 850 interviews were conducted with metropolitan train users and a further 850 tram users were quizzed.

Taxi statistics were compiled based on interviews with 425 passengers and the same number of bus users were asked to rate bus services.

Almost 1000 pages of extraordinarily detailed results feature customer views on issues, including the clarity of overhead announcements, the comfort of seats and the number of students giving up their seats when asked.

Tram passengers were particularly annoyed by students not offering to stand for full-paying adults.

And tram users were also unhappy with the level of airconditioning in summer.

A lack of control of loutish behaviour was identified by train and tram passengers as cause for alarm. Train passengers were happier than in previous years with ticketing and staff service.

But they bemoaned the lack of information about the delay or cancellation of trains and trams.

Trains running behind time were a big aggravation for many passengers. And significant decreases were noted in the control of graffiti, lighting at train stations and commuter car-parking.

V/Line trains and coaches recorded a notable increase in satisfaction with service delivery on the previous year.

Passengers told researchers trains were running on time and the frequency was sufficient.

Taxi users told researchers they would like cheaper fares and improved driver knowledge.

They scored the ability to hail a taxi on the street at 53.4 out of 100 and said availability on Fridays and weekends and during popular events was a big problem.

There were also concerns that some drivers were unwilling to take the most direct route and that some cabs were smelly and unclean.

Half of all bus users said they wanted more frequent services, a third want better connections with trains and trams and a fifth want bigger vehicles on the roads.

There were also worries among bus users about the quality of shelter and lighting at stops.

Connex spokesman John Rees said the huge growth in patronage meant crowded trains were unavoidable.

"We don't like it when trains are full and late -- why would anyone else?" he said.

"We're trying to improve things. It's about making the system work harder so people can get more out of it."

A spokeswoman for Public Transport Minister Lynne Kosky yesterday said the State Government was working with transport operators to ease congestion during peak times.

Trials of early bird trains on two lines were being assessed and could be extended to other lines, spokeswoman Manika Naidoo said.

The State Government was pumping $834 million over the next 10 years into improving services, which included new trains and leased trams, she said.

It was hoped other measures such as timetable changes would also go some way towards reducing crowding during peak periods.
Craig

Re: PT users give 60% approval rating to Melbourne PT system

Post by Craig »

In the printed edition, there was a full page of satisfaction figures.

They showed satisfaction by route for trams, by line for trains and by operator for buses and taxis.

Passengers apparently were most satisfied with Bell St Bus Company, which got a 80 out of 100...strange, cos they were taken over by Dysons in August 2003.... :? :roll: The article also lists "Phillips Bus Service" rather than Cranbourne Transit.

Driver came in at 77 out of 100, followed by Martyrs (76.7), Invicta (73.4), Kastoria (72) & Tullamarine (71.7)

The lowest 5 bus operators were listed as U.S. (61.3), Portsea (63.6), Sunbury (64), Melbourne Bus Link (64) and Sita (64.5).

Kind Regards

Craig :)
Mercedes
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Mercedes »

From seeing the list it seems pretty outdated as the figures quoted are the same as from around 2+ years ago. Also how did Bell St bus company get on the list? :?
Proud 0305G x2 and 0405 x1 owner
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Not to mention the fact, Moreland & Broadmeadows dont even get mentioned! highly accurate survey it would seem. NOT! :lol: 8)
dex
Favourite Vehicle: a bus

Post by dex »

Yay go tulla!! lol
I dont want to start a war, but does it seem that most of the general public take public transport for granted? This is purely a question not a smart remark. I know that public transport is supposed to be reliable but accidents and incidents cannot make this happen all the time as we are all aware.
Cheers
My daily cruiser is a two-door turbo merc.
VQ
Favourite Vehicle: Anything but a MAN!

Post by VQ »

They aren't spending enough money in a short enough period of time to make up for the last 15 odd years of a decrease in spending, if they are serious about getting people off the roads, they will spend the money from the fuel excise, if they can get it, or even speeding fines, into public transport, afterall if you get enough speeding fines you end up with no licence and using public transport, I prefer to drive and spend $80 a week or more in fuel plus maintainence costs to travel to work then take public transport (from my place to croydon, it's 30 mins by car, 1.5 hours by bus/train, with 20 mins waiting for a connecting train for the lilydale line, which is usually the coil sprung trains which are horrible to ride on.)
John

Post by John »

VQ wrote:I prefer to drive and spend $80 a week or more in fuel plus maintainence costs to travel to work then take public transport (from my place to croydon, it's 30 mins by car, 1.5 hours by bus/train, with 20 mins waiting for a connecting train for the lilydale line, which is usually the coil sprung trains which are horrible to ride on.)
I am much the same. I work in Port Melbourne and car pool with my girlfriend each day from Nunawading.

I usually start work at 8am, so leave home around 7:10am and finish up around 5:15 and am home by 6:15. I have worked out in my car it costs me about $9 per day in fuel, a saving of just over $11 when you consider both my girlfriend and I using the train would cost about $10 each per day. I don't have to pay for parking as my employer offers free undercover parking. The money I save goes towards servicing every 15,000kms.

Although sometimes I encounter heavy traffic, the fact I have my own seat, privacy and air conditioner offsets the extended journey home.
Keep Melbourne Moving.
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

John wrote:
VQ wrote:I prefer to drive and spend $80 a week or more in fuel plus maintainence costs to travel to work then take public transport (from my place to croydon, it's 30 mins by car, 1.5 hours by bus/train, with 20 mins waiting for a connecting train for the lilydale line, which is usually the coil sprung trains which are horrible to ride on.)
I am much the same. I work in Port Melbourne and car pool with my girlfriend each day from Nunawading.

I usually start work at 8am, so leave home around 7:10am and finish up around 5:15 and am home by 6:15. I have worked out in my car it costs me about $9 per day in fuel, a saving of just over $11 when you consider both my girlfriend and I using the train would cost about $10 each per day. I don't have to pay for parking as my employer offers free undercover parking. The money I save goes towards servicing every 15,000kms.

Although sometimes I encounter heavy traffic, the fact I have my own seat, privacy and air conditioner offsets the extended journey home.
Not to mention the fact that you can pump up some sik tunes. :lol:
Trolley Bus Racer
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58M Trolley Bus

Post by Trolley Bus Racer »

Eratik wrote: Not to mention the fact that you can pump up some sik tunes. :lol:
Sees Eratik Fly past in his honda With Cher Blasting out the back
Stagecoach Wellington Crew
Tranz Metro Crew

Now In The Eastern Islands Of Australia!
Roderick Smith

Metro satisfaction

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

July 9 2017 How you rate Melbourne trains depends on which side of the tracks you live on .
Are you happy when you ride on Melbourne's trains?
Your answer might have a lot to do with which line you use, leaked Metro data shows.
More videos Metro warns of capacity crunch.
Melbourne's trains threaten to become a squeeze as a report leaked to Fairfax Media reveals Metro's anxiety about the city's population growth and movement.
Live in the city's leafy east , and there is a good chance you rate your commute OK on most days.
But in the city's west, north and south-east, where population growth is at its strongest, train passengers rate their daily commute a little less kindly.
Jesse Heazlewood, 22, who travels on the Pakenham line to work on the weekend, says he wakes up an hour earlier than he used to to make sure he gets into the city on time. Photo: Luis Ascui Metro's breakdown of "customer satisfaction" levels on Melbourne's 16 rail lines reveals commuters on the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines are the least satisfied, due in no small part to the fact they are lumbered with the city's least reliable rail service.
Satisfaction levels on the two lines recently hit 68.7 per cent. Metro has blamed poor on-time running for the low rating.
The lines, which share the Dandenong corridor currently being elevated into a "sky rail" to remove nine level crossings, have the worst punctuality performance in Melbourne.
They are the only two with an on-time running record over the past 12 months that sits below the 88 per cent performance threshold set by the state government, below which Metro is financially penalised and passengers with a monthly or yearly ticket are compensated with one free day of travel.
Commuters at Southern Cross Station. Photo: Vince Caligiuri .
Commuter Jesse Heazlewood, who travels on the Pakenham line to get to and from work in the city from Hallam on weekends, said the line "always seems to have something wrong with it".
"There's been a few times where I've arrived late to work because of delayed trains or because a bus was replacing trains, or the service was inefficient," he said.
Cartoon: Matt Golding
Cartoon: Matt Golding
"It makes it a bit of a pain waking up. I now wake up an hour earlier just to make sure I get in on time," Mr Heazlewood said.
It's the opposite story for commuters on the Belgrave, Lilydale, Glen Waverley and Alamein lines that service the leafy eastern suburbs.
They are the happiest in Melbourne, the survey reveals, in part due to superior punctuality.
On the Glen Waverley line, for example, 96.6 per cent of trains were on time in the past year, the best result in Melbourne.
Satisfaction on those lines is at 73.5 per cent.
But Metro's satisfaction ratings, contained in a 2016 strategic plan leaked to Fairfax Media, reveal that reliability is just one factor that influences how people feel about the level of service on trains.
graphic
According to the survey, passengers have marked Melbourne's railways down due to a perceived lack of safety, space and comfort on trains, poor station facilities and ticketing.
Metro has proposed a series of initiatives to improve satisfaction – and its own image in the public eye – although many would require government approval and funding.
The strategic plan reveals the company has set a target of 85 per cent "customer satisfaction" by 2026, a big jump on its score for 2015 of 72 per cent.
To hit this mark it aims to:
•Run 95 per cent of trains on time.
•Work with the government to run more off-peak services.
•Make it easier to get to and from stations by encouraging use of shuttle buses, car sharing, bike cages, and building multi-level station car parks.
•Provide real-time information at stations about connecting trams and buses.
•Rebuild stations to improve passenger flow and give more seating and shelter.
It also wants more staff on the network.
Metro intends to "reinvigorate the pivotal and revered role of station masters and associated station staff", the plan says.
To improve public perceptions of safety, Metro has proposed giving police and authorised officers a more visible presence.
It has also suggested developing an app passengers can use to "request assistance discreetly" when police or authorised officers are not on the scene.
Public Transport Users Association president Tony Morton said good station facilities were important, but the "deal breaker" for passengers was unreliable trains.
Passengers also placed a premium on getting a seat, Dr Morton said. He cautioned Metro and the government not to go too far in removing seats to add capacity.
"You take that too far and your trains start to look and feel like cattle trains, and that's not a positive experience for passengers."
It's likely Metro will need to make significant improvements to Melbourne's railways to hit its 85 per cent target.
Metro's satisfaction score for 2015 was derived from a government survey of 850 people.
Metro must achieve a customer satisfaction rating of just 70 per cent under the terms of its current franchise agreement with the state, which is due to expire in November.
The government and Metro are negotiating a potential seven-year extension of the agreement, but with significantly tougher performance targets and less latitude for time-saving tactics that inconvenience passengers, such as station-skipping.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/how-y ... x5beu.html
Attachments
170711Tu-Melbourne'Age'-satisfaction-updated.jpg
170711Tu-Melbourne'Age'-satisfaction-updated.jpg (87.22 KiB) Viewed 6481 times
170710M-Melbourne'Age'-Metro_satisfaction-a.jpg
170710M-Melbourne'Age'-Metro_satisfaction-a.jpg (222.66 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
170710M-Melbourne'Age'-Metro_satisfaction-b.jpg
170710M-Melbourne'Age'-Metro_satisfaction-b.jpg (87.17 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

The Burnley group has the most satisfied customers? I thought that was the group that almost exclusively used cars to go everywhere, given its proximity to the Monash Freeway, Eastern Freeway, Eastlink, Maroondah Highway, Canterbury Rd, Riversdale Rd, Burwood Rd, Swan St and countless other ways to and from the city, had some of the worst sections of track on the network prior to the grade separation blitz (and still has some goat-track-like areas where the train does nothing but wobble, shudder and bounce) and some of the least frequent off-peak suburban timetables on the entire network (every 30 minutes instead of every 20, even as close to the city as Hawthorn you're stuck waiting half an hour after 9PM if you just missed a train).

The only good thing about the Burnley group is the Box Hill expresses during peak (and peak only, it is too hard for Metro to think of running expresses on the weekend when trains are every 10 minutes). Box Hill, Camberwell, Richmond. That's all an express should be. Screw Surrey Hills and Glenferrie, and "limited expresses" that stop all stations from the suburbs all the way to Camberwell just to skip all of four stations (one being East Richmond which may as well not even be counted since trains from Ringwood rarely stop there anyway due to using the centre tracks - of course these lard-asred limited expresses stop at Glenferrie too).
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

The weekend timetable is way better than the weekday one. The weekday uses eight trains to provide 15 min headways to Ringwood, and a horrible 30 beyond. The weekend uses six trains to provide 10 min headways to Ringwood, and 20 beyond (the best possible, because of the single-line chokes). Two-tier service on this line fails because no station has been designed for convenient cross-platform interchange in both directions. All offpeak trains should be stopping at East Richmond. People place far too much faith in express trains; they waste track capacity. Those satisfaction figures are fairly meaningless: the second decimal place has no meaning, and the first has very little. There isn't really much gap between first and last.
Roderick.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

I agree with the weekend timetable being much better than the off-peak weekday one.

It would be possible to have better connections between Lilydale/Belgrave and Alamein services, it's just that they don't bother using all three platforms at Camberwell off-peak. It doesn't matter if passengers have to exit the platform to change - of course, this could also be fixed by adding stairs/lifts/ramps inside the paid area like they did at Ringwood so people don't have to go through barriers touching off and back on. Down trains should be using platform 3 at Camberwell at all times, not just during peak, with Flinders Street/City Loop trains and Alamein shuttles using platforms 1+2 just like they do in the early morning. Alamein services could easily be used to provide the missing all stations runs and doubling East Richmond services, it has to be better than having them sitting at Camberwell wasting space and getting in the way of Flinders Street trains at night. If Alamein trains actually went to the city off-peak there wouldn't be any need for a train to be sitting at a platform for ages and people wouldn't be stuck waiting as long, same with the Lilydale/Belgrave shuttles sitting at Ringwood for 20+ minutes. Of course though, getting rid of the shuttles would require them to also run an extra train or two and that would cut into Metro's profit margin and even if a daily Zone 1 was $50 they would still cry poor.

If the single track sections beyond Ringwood are such a problem, why don't they run more Mooroolbark and Upper Ferntree Gully trains?
notch

Post by notch »

Man, I love clueless foamers who whine petulantly about things that don't actually occur.

Camberwell does use all three platforms off-peak. Alamein shuttles arrive on platform 2 on the up. The only time they don't is after 20:30 - and they rarely "get in the way" as much as the perpetually miserable like to believe.

As for East Richmond - catch a tram.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

As for East Richmond - catch a tram.
Not even that complicated.

To East Richmond from city - use a Glen Waverley train (except in the am peak when for some reason they don't appear to stop at East Richmond), or in the morning until the 12.13pm from Flinders St and also from the 2.23pm to the 7.13pm from Flinders St, use a Blackburn local or Alamein train.
From East Richmond to Hawthorn or beyond - Until the aforementioned 12.13pm from Flinders St, use a Blackburn local. From the 2.36pm until the 7.26pm, catch either a Blackburn local, or catch an Alamein local and change at Glenferrie or Camberwell. Admittedly some of the connections are a bit tight (2 minutes at Camberwell and 3 at Glenferrie) with the need to change platforms, but after 3pm there's a lot more express trains so less of an issue until 7.30pm. After 12.30pm, Glen Waverley trains run just before the Camberwell line trains with a one minute interchange on the same platform at Burnley. No idea if any effort is made to hold the connection in case of disruption, but it has to be the almost perfect interchange when things are running smoothly. In the evening, the interchange between Glen Waverley trains and Camberwell line trains is 5 minutes.

From Camberwell line trains to East Richmond, the reverse applies until the 11.37am from Blackburn, with locals resuming just after 2.30pm, starting with Alameins connecting at Camberwell from trains further out (starting with 2 minute same platform interchanges at Camberwell). For the afternoon, the Camberwell line trains and Glen Waverleys are scheduled to depart at the same time, again with cross platform interchange. In the evening the Glen Waverleys and Camberwell line trains connect until around 8.17pm, but after that there is a 14 minute wait at Burnley, which to be fair is not ideal and a case could probably be made to stop Camberwell line trains at East Richmond.

On the weekend, outbound connections are 2 minutes at Burnley during the day (with some 6 prior to the 10 minute frequency) and 5 in the evening, inbound ones are not good between 4.41am and 7.50am, then 3 minutes during the day (allowing for Glen Waverley trains on 20 minute frequencies and Camberwell line trains on 10) and 11 minutes in the evening (not ideal). Overnight trains all stop at East Richmond.

Certainly for some directions at some times of day, mostly evenings inbound, it could be better. But most of the time there is a 5 minute or less connection for East Richmond. It would take you that long to walk to the tram stop.

Whilst there isn't an obvious reason they couldn't stop, and I agree they possibly should (and for much of the week they actually do anyway), it's not exactly the inconvenient disaster it is made out to be. On that basis I should be complaining that Hurstbridge line trains no longer run express because I personally am inconvenienced by a whole 3 minutes*, even though it makes more sense to have a 10 minute frequency to Clifton Hill at trivial extra expense.

*Except for the times I catch one to from Victoria Park (for interchange to Eastern Freeway buses to Doncaster) or North Richmond (going to Ikea via the 109 tram). Then it's quite useful not changing...
notch

Post by notch »

Trains aren't held at Burnley for connections between Glen Waverley and Camberwell except in very rare circumstances.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

krustyklo wrote:Certainly for some directions at some times of day, mostly evenings inbound, it could be better. But most of the time there is a 5 minute or less connection for East Richmond. It would take you that long to walk to the tram stop.
At least the connections always exist, and are usually quite alright! For comparison, just look at trying to catch a V/Line train from Deer Park to Tarneit.. :twisted:
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

At least the connections always exist, and are usually quite alright! For comparison, just look at trying to catch a V/Line train from Deer Park to Tarneit..
Maybe I missed something, but looking at trains between 7am and 10.30am tomorrow using the PTV journey planner, it seems to be a one train 8 minute journey?
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

krustyklo wrote:Maybe I missed something, but looking at trains between 7am and 10.30am tomorrow using the PTV journey planner, it seems to be a one train 8 minute journey?
Much of the time it is, but if you happen to be making the trip in peak hour it takes much longer with the need to backtrack, as all trains from Tarneit run express to Sunshine or Footscray before 7:42am (apart from the one before it that runs express to Ardeer.. WTF!?), and in the afternoon peak there are no trains on that line stopping at Deer Park for more than two hours.

But the real killer is on a weekend when no Geelong line trains stop at Deer Park at all, meaning that a backtrack via Sunshine and a 40+ minute wait there for the Geelong train is needed to travel between two adjacent stations! :twisted:
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

notch wrote:As for East Richmond - catch a tram.
I'm sure these people would, if it wasn't one of the latest-starting, earliest-finishing services on the entire network, not to mention the high-floor-only trams the size of a shoebox (or the odd B class now and then). The first Wattle Park-bound tram outside Richmond station (and therefore East Richmond) is an hour after the first train, is Yarra Trams even serious about half of these tram routes? The 78 going north-south through East Richmond isn't much better. It seems if it isn't route 96, screw you if you're a tram passenger.
notch wrote:Man, I love clueless foamers who whine petulantly about things that don't actually occur.
There is no foam here unfortunately, no clipboards or expensive DSLRs either. I love listening to equally clueless people who never (or rarely) catch public transport (or live in South Yarra, Richmond and the like) and think there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever; do you happen to be a Metro/PTV shill, a politician, a bank manager or an Australia Post executive by any chance? How about catching a Flinders Street train from Ringwood (previously Mooroolbark) at 10PM for close to twenty years next time? The only time the train doesn't end up stuck at East Camberwell at night is when the driver deliberately goes slow so the down Lilydale/Belgrave goes past at Canterbury and the Alamein is already at Riversdale or Willison. Not that it matters going slow because the line may as well be 60 year old tram tracks or an off-road 4WD trail anyway.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”