Direct ACT - USA flights?

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

Roderick Smith

Direct ACT - USA flights?

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

July 4 2017 American diplomat wants direct flights to United States from Canberra Airport .
USA's highest-ranking diplomat in Australia has called for direct flights between Canberra Airport and his country.
Speaking to 2CC's Tim Shaw on Tuesday morning about Independence Day, charge d'affaires James Carouso said he was all for direct flights to the continental United States.
The comments from the head of the US embassy have been welcomed by Canberra Airport. Photo: Canberra Airport
"I want to encourage Qantas and Virgin, everyone else, to begin direct flights right back to USA," Mr Carouso said.
"Wouldn't that be great? They're not saying they will, but anything I can do to be helpful, I'm all for it."
"I'll take anywhere in the continental USA."
Canberra Airport welcomed the comments from Mr Carouso.
"Canberra Airport would welcome any moves by either US or Australian carriers to offer services to the USA west coast, and would be happy to facilitate such services," a spokesperson said.
"We would also welcome a direct flight from Canberra to Auckland, which represents a wonderful stepping stone to USA."
ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said Canberra had already proven it could attract international carriers.
"Better connections to America is one of our future goals," Mr Barr said.
"While a direct flight between Canberra and the United States mainland may be some years off, we can improve access to America through a direct service to Auckland where travellers can then access a connecting flight to the United States," Mr Barr said.
"The United States is the ACT's third biggest international tourism market [...] better connections to America would be a great outcome for the Canberra region."
Singapore Airlines already flies internationally from Canberra to Wellington, but recently announced a review into its own international flights service from Canberra as passenger uptake struggles.
The airline became the first carrier to offer international flights from Canberra in September, flying travellers to Singapore and Wellington.
Qatar Airways announced it planned to push ahead with its own international flights service to Canberra, despite facing airspace blockades in the Middle East.
A number of Middle Eastern nations have cut diplomatic ties with Qatar, which forced the state-owned airline to reroute over friendly states.
The airline said the diplomatic crisis has not changed its plan for international flights from Canberra as early as February.
"As far as we are concerned, it is business as usual," chief executive Akbar Al Baker said.
Labor promised at last year's ACT election to set aside $770,000 to court more international airlines into Canberra, with Air New Zealand and Cathay Pacific among those considered.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... x46om.html

Return to “Discussion - Canberra / ACT”