$22 million will be spent providing extra passenger services

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
I Follow PAFC
Favourite Vehicle: Any low floor bus

$22 million will be spent providing extra passenger services

Post by I Follow PAFC »

$22 million will be spent providing extra passenger services on the Gawler, Seaford, Outer Harbor and Belair lines.
https://twitter.com/7NewsAdelaide/statu ... 5006077953
Skexis

Re: $22 million will be spent providing extra passenger serv

Post by Skexis »

What's the point of more trains on the Seaford line? Even off peak on weekdays they're every 15 mins, every 30 mins on Sat and Sun until mid evening plus the boom gates coming down every few minutes during rush hour at Emerson causes enough problems as it is.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Skexis wrote:What's the point of more trains on the Seaford line? Even off peak on weekdays they're every 15 mins, every 30 mins on Sat and Sun until mid evening plus the boom gates coming down every few minutes during rush hour at Emerson causes enough problems as it is.
Even worse at Oaklands and Hove. Regular weeknight build up of traffic from Hove crossing on Brighton Road back to Oaklands Road. Quite common for 263/265 buses in the evening peak to run 10-15 minutes late due to very slow moving traffic.
Eagle Eye

Post by Eagle Eye »

I don't think there will be extra daytime services - probably just the Tonsley line with maybe a better peak frequency than 30 mins. The line was duplicated to almost Celtic Ave for this purpose but so far the double track hasn't been needed. Certainly night time will see additional services on the Seaford line (and Tonsley perhaps?) as already publicised.
jibb

Post by jibb »

Eagle Eye wrote:I don't think there will be extra daytime services - probably just the Tonsley line with maybe a better peak frequency than 30 mins. The line was duplicated to almost Celtic Ave for this purpose but so far the double track hasn't been needed. Certainly night time will see additional services on the Seaford line (and Tonsley perhaps?) as already publicised.
According to the Transport Minister 30 minutes night and weekend services on all rail lines, plus 20 minute service on the Tonsley line(next year extended to become Flinders Link) in peak hours.
New timetables will come into operation at the end of the year.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

If the DPTI wants to improve train services, they should reduce the number of announcements on trains, as well as lower the volume a bit. On some carriages, they can be almost deafening. Between Adelaide and Woodvile, they seem to be never ending.

I thought the female with 'please mind the gap when alighting from the train' was more annoying, but I think I'd prefer it over these announcements that almost remind me of Jack Byrnes in Meet The Parents.
marc506

Post by marc506 »

TA3001 wrote:If the DPTI wants to improve train services, they should reduce the number of announcements on trains, as well as lower the volume a bit. On some carriages, they can be almost deafening. Between Adelaide and Woodvile, they seem to be never ending.

I thought the female with 'please mind the gap when alighting from the train' was more annoying, but I think I'd prefer it over these announcements that almost remind me of Jack Byrnes in Meet The Parents.
did you stop for a minute and think the volume setting is there for a reason
a) so that people with hearing impairments are able to hear them.
b) can be heard by people who are using personal media devices
c) can be heard over the general noise of the train - especially if you have a full load.
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Most of the time, the volume is tolerable. However, on a few carriages, they are excessively loud. The world got by with just the driver announcements from the days of the Red Hens to about 2013. Then a loud annoying voice was introduced to save the driver from having to do it (excluding on the 2000s).

Then they decided to change it to another voice which at first was tolerable, before the frequent announcements (that occur about every 3-5 minutes) were programmed in regarding SAPOL being on trains, not letting personal items go astray, surveillance cameras, and whatever else I've left out made catching a train much more of an ordeal than what it was before they were automated.

To me, it's like a fly hanging around that just won't go away.
Roderick Smith

$16.4 m to Port Adelaide

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick

State Budget 2017: Trains return to the heart of Port Adelaide after a 36-year absence.
Adelaide 'Advertiser' June 24, 2017.
A NEW 1km rail link will connect Port Adelaide’s commercial centre and the Dock One residential precinct to the Adelaide CBD for the first time in 36 years.
The $16.4 million train station and spur line will lead to a new railway station at Baker St, in the heart of the Port, the Government announced in the State Budget on Thursday.
Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said that when the new line opened, Port Adelaide residents would be able to catch regular train services from a modern, safe and accessible station at the site of the current Jacketts Station at the National Railway Museum.
An artist's impression of the spur line that will bring rail commuters back to the heart of Port Adelaide for the first time since 1981.
“The new station will be located on the doorstep of the Dock One waterfront redevelopment which will include more than 750 new townhouses and apartments, a refurbished Marine and Harbours building, and waterfront boardwalk,’’ he said.
“Construction will start next year and will support 48 jobs during construction.”
National Railway Museum executive officer Bob Sampson sad the new link would be a “huge benefit” for Port Adelaide’s businesses, events and local attractions.
Port Adelaide Mayor Gary Johanson said he was “really excited” because the project would open up the inner area of the Port.
“Which is so important if we are going to engage with the people and really say the Port is an open place for people to work and visit,’’ he said.
Transport Minister Stephen Mullighan said the new station will be located on the doorstep of the Dock One waterfront redevelopment.
“You need to have the transport hub in the centre of the Port and the existing station is at the very quiet end of Port Adelaide. Tourists from overseas have given us some very bad feedback over the years.’’
Since 1981, the line has passed well to the south of the town centre but the project will include reconstruction and duplication of the spur line from the existing Outer Harbor line at Grand Junction Road before the line crosses Port Rd.
It comes as Mr Mullighan confirmed he had submitted business cases to Infrastructure Australia for two major transport projects on the same day the State Budget was handed down.
Mr Mullighan has pledged funds to upgrade a stretch of the North-South corridor from Regency Road to Pym Street and complete the Gawler line electrification project, but says both are contingent on Federal Government funding.
He maintained earlier business cases were complete but said the further submission was done so “we can’t have any further allegations from anyone at the Commonwealth level that the work hasn’t been done by South Australia”.
<www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/st ... 13e2f0b948>
* 16.4 million, just for the station. I wonder what infrastructure can next be removed and then re-built 40 years later. All our state governments over the passed have been without vision, whoever decided to remove it like the trams in the city had no idea and now we are fitting the bill for something that should never needed to happen and yet 5min Labor are going to put it in place again the trains that run in that direction now seem to be empty carriages most of the time, will they be viable? Can the Advertiser at least ask the right questions and do investigative reporting instead of the parroting of what people like Mulligan want to tell us.
* Great idea and all, but when can we learn to build actual proper stations, instead of platforms with a bus stop perched on top? Let's have a station building that honours the former Port Dock station, incorporates the railway museum, and is a true anchor for the area.
* Getting ready for the Chinese buy up?
* Has anyone checked the latest ratings for Susan Close?
I remember when Kevin Foley retired and in the bi-election there was the artist impression of a Mall from Black diamond Corner down to the Lighthouse, loads of bright colours and loads of vote buying appeal.
Local Mayor and life time resident of the area Garry Johanson was defeated The Mall has not been built because there was no money in the Budget ever found for it.
Now instead of a Mall, the voters of Port Adelaide are being promised a rail line.
The vote buying carrots are not just coming out, the carrots are dripping with honey.
* That's politics 101. Something the Liberals should try their hand at and maybe they might win one day.
* It's political BS; you should learn the difference.
* When you divide $16,4m by all seven train passengers, and then add in the running costs, it could prove to be yet another very expensive Labor gimmick.
* With stations at Centrelink and Port Adelaide Police Station for easy access. Once completed they can be shut down the line again while they modify for electrification .
* How nice! A train that goes to the ghetto!
* My brother used to date a Port fan and when she would take him to Port games at the oval, he'd always check in at the station as " All aboard the hobo express!".
* "Ghetto' ? You need to get out more.
* You have a lot to learn about the Port. There are lot of very good people in the area. Don't let a few stragglers put you of you find them in every area. It has more history than most of Adelaide and its surroundings.
* It's small little things like this that mean so much to people. This is a great initiative and deserves credit where credit is due. Replacing the line with light rail is pointless. Let's hope we see a second phase of taking another spur line through to Semaphore.
* I wonder if this means the government is not looking seriously at any more trams. If the government who has not been given any money for Trams but is getting money for other transport needs like train extensions & electrification then a new suburban tram network is now dead. Trains carry more people & run on dedicated transport corridors & therefore do not interfere with normal vehicle traffic. Good Thinking Minister
* Trams and trains serve different needs. Trains are for longer journeys(major centre to major centre) and trams are better for short suburb to suburb or CBD loop services. Adelaide's train network once electrified would do well to cull a few stations to speed up total journey time. Some stations on the network serve no real purpose except to slow the whole thing down.
* Your argument is a tad flawed there. If Trams were for short distances only and Trains for longer, then how come there is a Train needed for Grange when its only about 14km by car from Victoria Sq. Glenelg is 11km by car from Victoria Sq. By your logic they should have a tram going to Grange instead of a train
Attachments
170624Sa-Adelaide'Advertiser-PortAdelaide.jpg
170624Sa-Adelaide'Advertiser-PortAdelaide.jpg (255.37 KiB) Viewed 7232 times
jibb

Post by jibb »

Adelink includes Light Rail to Port Adelaide-so how long will the train run before Light Rail takes over-should be the first Adelink line to be built instead if the old 3000 class trains.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

No one appears to have commented on the service pattern or frequency.

Will Port Adelaide line and Outer Harbor run every 30 min each, providing a 15 min service from Alberton in? Meaning that the new station is left with an unattractive 30 min service.

Or (wishful thinking) will it be more a Perth Armadale/Thornlie pattern with each line running every 15 min, with Outer Harbor running express and Port Adelaide being SAS throughout the day?

Would the latter be attractive enough to prune some of the bus routes that parallel trains (as Perth does but Brisbane doesn't)?
Last edited by PaxInfo on Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
marc506

Post by marc506 »

I wonder how long the idea of the train station at Port Adelaide and the associated artists impression have been kick about for?

Just a bit surprised that it would be depicted with 3000/3100 class instead of a 4000 class.

Or they expecting it will be comparatively low in passenger numbers so that a 2 car set will be sufficient?
jibb

Post by jibb »

If they are going to introduce 30 minute services at night and weekends on rail lines then they should do the same on bus routes.
There are a lot of routes where there are 1 hour services at these times, or on the 600 route on Sundays between Marion and Blackwood where there is a ridiculous 2 hour service.
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

jibb wrote:If they are going to introduce 30 minute services at night and weekends on rail lines then they should do the same on bus routes.
There are a lot of routes where there are 1 hour services at these times, or on the 600 route on Sundays between Marion and Blackwood where there is a ridiculous 2 hour service.
It's the same with my local route, the 640. It may have low patronage but I think it deserves what the 645 and 646 get in half-hourly weekday services. It runs every 2 hours like the 600 but on weekdays.
jibb

Post by jibb »

I regularly see this service at Marion,but it appears to be poorly used hardly ever many passengers on it.
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

jibb wrote:I regularly see this service at Marion,but it appears to be poorly used hardly ever many passengers on it.
It certainly is poorly used but I have never been able to quite get why the 645 gets a fair few more people on average than the 640. They are similar length routes going to similar income areas where people generally would catch buses just as much as each other.
jibb

Post by jibb »

mmosca447 wrote:
jibb wrote:I regularly see this service at Marion,but it appears to be poorly used hardly ever many passengers on it.
It certainly is poorly used but I have never been able to quite get why the 645 gets a fair few more people on average than the 640. They are similar length routes going to similar income areas where people generally would catch buses just as much as each other.
645 get much better loadings and is only a short 11 minute journey from Marion(646 is a 7 minute journey).
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Yes but on morphett road between Sturt Road and Seacombe Road you also have 265s and 734s. Lately I thought the 646 should go via Braeside Avenue, Gulfview Road then around to Morphett Road , itd cover more area
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Roderick Smith

Port Adelaide

Post by Roderick Smith »

The original line came in parallel with Lipson St, with a station at the corner of St Vincent St. The track curved left into St Vincent St, then crossed Port River on a swingbridge (Jervois Bridge), then continued to Glanville. The big change today, which has triggered this plan, is the redevelopment between St Vincent St and the waterfront with high-density townhouses (the equivalent of Melbourne Docklands or Sydney Darling Harbour). The current station is an 800 m hike away. Will the new one be any better? It skirts the museum's eastern flank, and terminates at Baker St, apparently a block before St Vincent St. That is still a hike, unless the development is going to spread all the way to the right of the frame, or unless the railway crosses St Vincent St to get closer to the waterfront. The brown areas were once yards and tracks to serve the docks, with a lot of street running. In 1969, I had a very confused day photographing 800s shunting there. Arriving that way would be circuitous and slow, and the former tracks parallel to the river close to the commercial hub are where the housing has been built. More useful would be a dedicated circular shuttle bus connecting with every train.

160701 Port Adelaide (Google Earth).

Roderick.
Attachments
160701-PortAdelaide(GoogleEarth)-s.jpg
Route 506
Favourite Vehicle: R.I.P. #582 (1582) 29-12-2008

Post by Route 506 »

As much as it's great that we are seeing ideas and plans to put much needed life into the Port again, I'm sceptical whether this plan would have enough patronage to justify the cost.

Personally I prefer the idea of having a "Port Shuttle" bus which connects with all trains at Port Adelaide Station and perhaps the money would be better spent, or get better return with a connection from Glanville to Semaphore, which is always a popular area.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Depending on the frequency of the Port Dock train, it may provide an opportunity to make Outer Harbor trains express during the day as they were for many years.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
jibb

Post by jibb »

There is a document(lengthy-80 pages) on DTPI website by consultants to look at all aspects of the different options for Adelink. These have included substantial consultation taking place .There is a long road ahead before final routes/timelines are decided, and a business case prepared for the Federal Government.
As far as Portlink is concerned Light Rail is well and truly on the cards ,with 3 different options examined.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

Bus interchange options for proposed Port Station:

1) Lipson Street is wide enough for buses, plenty spots for bus stops.

2) Baker Street is also wide enough for buses, plenty room for bus stops.

3) St Vincent Street could also be used with a roundabout at Baker Street or simply use the nearby streets to turn around.

4) The existing carpark behind Police Station. 333 & 150 can feed to station. A altered 252 could feed in from nearby residential areas in Gray Street etc. Existing 117s can extend to proposed station.
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”