1970 Atlantean Double decker 1035 history

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
alex117

1970 Atlantean Double decker 1035 history

Post by alex117 »

I have spoken to 3 out of 5 past owners about this bus. I was told the engine was rebuilt prior to sale by NSW. How would I look up the history? Her is what I have so far.Maintenance Procedure Performed
The bus was built for the Department of Government Transport (DGT) in Sydney in 1970 and was withdrawn from service in 1977 due to an engine malfunction , engine was fully rebuilt by DGT

Verified By
Gary Nicson of Forrester Bus
Mileage
Unknown
Date Completed

Maintenance Procedure Performed

A lot of buses purchased from DGT by Hill’s of Woolongong

sold to Forrester's Bus Service in Barraba in 1978 got the bus back into service as a School Bus
Verified By
Spoke to former owner of Forrester Bus service Gary Nicson bus owned for 4-5 years early 1980’s and maybe did 20,00km during that time as school bus serviced yearly oil and filters, only needed fuel lines no mechanical issues “one of the most reliable buses”

Forrester, Barraba NSW
Mileage
20,000KM in 4-5 yrs
Date Completed
1980’s

Serviced regularly
Verified By
Gregory’s, Barraba NSW
Gary Nicson
Mileage
Driven 300 km week as school bus, less than 10000 per yr
Date Completed
1980’s

Owned by Fenn, Barraba, NSW

In service as school Bus sold in 2001 to Graham Duffin was taken out of service 2000 as it reached 30 yrs old was running well but forced by legislation to remove from service

Verified By
Graham Duffin
Mileage

Date Completed

Purchased by Graham Duffin in 2001 (President Historic Bus Club) owned for 7.5 years
Driven monthly for joy rides Heritage Park museum at Pimpama
Verified By

Graham Duffin

Mileage
Less than 7000 km in 7 yrs
Date Completed
Sold 2008 to Brad Harris of Club Financial 2008

2008 Brad Harris of Club Financial
Rebuilt transmission and torque converter and injector pump no engine work. Taken over the pits for mandatory commercial inspection every 6mo as required no issues. Regular service as required
Verified By
Brad Harris
Mileage
Driven 6 km from home to work as rolling ad
Maybe 10000 KM in 3 yrs
Date Completed
Sold Nov 2011 to Alex Goodhart

Oil Change prior to delivery new filters
Verified By
Alex Goodhart
Mileage
Bus shows 02469 on odometer, so it is likely the the bus has done 102,469 KM still has original seats and is in excellent condition.
Not driven run on regular basis to charge batteries
Date Completed
Nov 2011 to Present
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Re: 1970 Atlantean Double decker 1035 history

Post by CCCC »

Some old smart fellas on this site who Im sure will pop along with the full history although you seem to have most there.

The atlanteans didn't last long in government hands because of union issues and not all that reliable from what Ive read.
I also recall reading somewhere years ago about the single deckers which seemed to have a motor overhaul by government every 250,000 ????
and the New Mercs which was introduced they were estimating it would be good for 500,0000 . someone maybe able to suggest otherwise and
what distance they were actually overhauled.

They were not a favourite of mine to drive , slow ,sway and rattle,rattle,rattle , you could still hear the rattles well after you finished driving them.
Why anyone wants to make a motorhome out of one is beyond me.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”