Rebirth #200 - 1st low-floor Scania in Australia

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Rebirth #200 - 1st low-floor Scania in Australia

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Well, after 2yrs of extensive campaigning for funding and endless man hours, ex Metro #200 has been reborn. Looking as new as it did 25yrs ago, the Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society had an official launch last Friday (2nd June). Attended by representatives from the organisations that assisted with it's purchase and restoration, the bus looked resplendent alongside Metro's latest low-floor bus, #736 Scania K360UA/CB80. But the day belonged to #200 and many people need to be thanked, none moreso than yoda, MetroMan, Damo, metro_tas, the Tasmanian Community Fund and Scania Australia.
25yrs ago, #200 was launched with much fanfare, as the first low-floor Scania in Australia. So it seemed fitting, to re-launch the bus alongside the newest low-floor Scania in Tasmania. #200 was the prototype of what became the industry norm with city buses, and it's a privilege the Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society have preserved this important piece of public transport history. Recent posts have shown #200 being restored http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 47&t=84011, but this post focuses on the finished product. The event was covered by television and resulted in (3) radio interviews, which all lifts the Society's exposure. So without any further ado, here are the photos from the day.. . . . . . . . . . ALL photographs © Nicholas Witzerman

wisbydriverB40
Favourite Vehicle: 1993 Hino CG277K

Re: Rebirth #200 - 1st low-floor Scania in Australia

Post by wisbydriverB40 »

Congratulations guys, that's a mighty fine restoration done guys and I love how you guys have kept to the originality of the bus and even the smallest detail like the zf logo on the rear bar and the product of Tasmania logo.

It's a shame that Ansair Kingston closed down as a relaunch there would have been fitting :lol:

Would love to see it soon when I'm out at Glenorchy next or when u bring it on your next tour or show :D

Love to see what the next project you guys have in store ;)
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Thanks John. However, it's actually a Voith sticker on the rear :lol: It took us quite a while to find a photo showing what it actually was :shock: Let me know when you're about this way, I can try and arrange a look. As for our next project :shock: :shock: that's a doozy :shock: Maxwell's AEC Reliance. That's going to be a biggie :mrgreen:
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

whats the aluminium strips down the isle for ????
yoda

Post by yoda »

CCCC wrote:whats the aluminium strips down the isle for ????
Strapping wheelchairs in.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

its good to see a small state like Tassie do something historic as this!a terrific job thank you to all concerned other states with more money & people prefer to save buses some are so historic but end up at the scrappers they try to save so many of each type then they end up with a pile of rust & no bus!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

yoda wrote:
CCCC wrote:whats the aluminium strips down the isle for ????
Strapping wheelchairs in.
Must have been expecting a lot of wheelchair users with those lengths of aluminium strips.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

CCCC wrote:Must have been expecting a lot of wheelchair users with those lengths of aluminium strips.
This allowed them to carry more than the normal (2) wheelchairs (on charters). The bus was used quite a bit on a Nursing Home charters with 3-4 wheelchairs being carried at one time.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

captainch wrote:its good to see a small state like Tassie do something historic as this!a terrific job thank you to all concerned other states with more money & people prefer to save buses some are so historic but end up at the scrappers they try to save so many of each type then they end up with a pile of rust & no bus!
Thanks Ray
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

you know my brother tony from Scania who had a stroke well have helped him with his 4th bus book it helps with his rehab! started of as a jun sales person with Scania many years ago was at metro a couple months ago you might have met him! I'M THE MORE KNOWLEABLE ONE! & Ifirst let him drive a bus as a young teenager! :roll:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
metrobuses2098
Favourite Vehicle: man

Post by metrobuses2098 »

I went on that bus a long time ago and the rear door wouldn't work and i tried to push it open and it started beeping at me and the driver told me to get off at the front? :shock:

Return to “Photos - Hobart/Tas”