MAN 10.180 bus 1991 model - identify and source parts

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
BusBrad

MAN 10.180 bus 1991 model - identify and source parts

Post by BusBrad »

Hi all,

Could someone please assist re parts... who can identify, where to get, etc.?

I am in the process of purchasing a mid-sized bus: a 1991 MAN 10.180 Austral (Midi), being rear engine, with 4 speed ZF auto transmission.

Yesterday (Thurs 23rd March 2017) I had the HV inspection done for rego… and have received a list of items that need replacement.
This was unexpected, as I’d been advised the vehicle would pass roadworthy… having not been driven much since it had been ‘over the pits’ (Qld Transport), and since de-registered (in June 2016).

I’m near the Gold Coast, but the vehicle is 1,000 kms north of here, so obtaining info is difficult (I organised the inspection remotely).
I’ve asked the seller to supply photos, part numbers, brands, dimensions (whatever he can get to aid in identifying and sourcing the parts).
Fortunately he seems willing to assist me with this... and I am hoping to get some info over the weekend.

Anyhow, the main items I am consequently now looking for are :
a) universal joint for main drive shaft, forward / diff-end
b) universal joints for steering box input shaft, lower (and possibly upper)
c) steering drag link rear tie end
d) wiper blades
e) parts and/or workshop manual (though unlike the above, this is not essential)

I’ve searched considerably on-line and by phone, but I’m not having much luck.
I would like to obtain these parts by the end of next week… so I can take them north to fit next weekend, get registered on Mon 3rd April (if possible)… and drive the vehicle back home to the Gold Coast.

Can anyone possibly help identify, or advise where I could purchase any of the above parts?
Or refer me to someone that could help?

I’ve attached 3 photos FYI, and as they may aid a little in identification.

Other items I would be interested in at a later date are:
- Cylinder head gaskets
- Manifold and possible other engine gaskets
- Fuel pump kit or parts
- AC compressor

I'd very much appreciate some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
BusBrad
S7380043----.jpg
S7380078--.jpg
S7380058--.jpg
It's a MAN man... Yeah Baby, Yeah!
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Re: MAN 10.180 bus 1991 model - identify and source parts

Post by The Phonj »

Two possibilities; you could try your local MAN dealer; or another avenue could be Multispares - I assume they both have Qld outlets.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
slug
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 16 280

Post by slug »

Multispares best bett
Steering arms come from Europe so the is long time delay till you get them
Everything is available aftermarket as they a popular over there
James
M A N 16-280 PMC 1986
BusBrad

Post by BusBrad »

Thanks for your prompt reply... both good are suggestions.
I've tried 2 Man dealerships, and a MAN service centre:
- Brisbane Truck Centre... drag link tie end = $462, drive shaft uni joint + steering uni joints both ex-Germany (approx. 4 weeks delivery)
- European Truck Parts, Dandenong VIC... awaiting reply
- Enske Commercial Vehicles, Wacol QLD... awaiting reply
And the seller has tried Multispares... drag link tie end = $410, drive shaft uni joint = $126, steering uni joints no listing.
If I can identify the uni joints (type and dimensions) I can probably get from supplier such as Statewide bearings at a fraction of the price (and not have to source out of Germany)... so was hoping that someone may be able to identify these (possibly advise P/N's, or have recorded the dimensions, etc.)
I'd also hoped that I could match the drag link tie end, even it it required welding to the original drag link, which could be done by an engineering shop.
Anyhow, will keep searching!
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

Welding steering parts is a no no.
It is going to be hard to get your result remotely.
For steering parts have you tried the truck and bus power steering mob in Archerfield Allpowersteering, they carry heaps of the sort of stuff you are looking for.
If one uni joint is crook, replace both and save yourself a headache down the track. If you pull the shaft I am sure the right people can replace the unis. Driveline Australia would be my starting point.
Don't try and do everything on the cheap. this project is going to consume dollars, better get used to it.
Wiper blades from Repco, if you need the whole arms bus and coach parts around geebung area.
Hornibrook

Post by Hornibrook »

Phone White's Diesels and ask for Michael Haydock.
Maladjusted

Post by Maladjusted »

You will be able to get the Uni joint from bearing suppliers-as you say Statewide Brgs but multispares is a good price and they will have the right size.
Steering uni joints are ZF /now Bosch and not repairable.
AllPower steering in Brisbane or other ZF agents would be the best bet, likewise the drag link end.

Engine is a D0826
Engine head gasket kit VRS (Valve regrind Set)will contain the manifold gaskets.
Fuel pump is a VE type rotary pump and there would be plenty of parts around.
Compressors are unique to these models and have to be timed to the engine if you want to make it last.

Penske commercial vehicles at Wacol are the Australian distributors for MAN and would normally refer you to dealers like Brisbane Truck Centre which ironically is Penske owned as well.
Who bleedin thanked me? I was just doin my job
BusBrad

Post by BusBrad »

Thanks to everyone for your replies and info.
I didn't realise more people had responded as I'd received most feedback by email, and unfortunately this website doesn't automate emails when posts are submitted.
Anyhow for everyone's interest;
- the main drive shaft uni joint (7C HWD / P/N. 114.7126) was physically matched and supplied by Driveline, Mackay.
- the steering drag link (P/N. 44L2209) was cross referenced (from supplied P/N. 81466116061) and supplied by Multispares.
- the steering shaft uni-joint (don't know the part number) was replaced by Hardy Spicer, Mackay.
I had also been in contact with many of the other places suggested (e.g. Allpowersteering, White's Diesels, Brisbane Truck Centre)
Regards, Brad

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”