• Advertisement

Transport Canberra

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

Re: Transport Canberra

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:35 pm

Yes, my apologies. One small step is a lot closer to being flat floor than CB80s or older Volgrens however, which have about 3 steps after the centre door.

tonyp - to me it looks like the centre door is before the step which looking from the front. I'm sure there'll be plenty of photos of the Adelaide one, once it enters service.
Last edited by Lt. Commander Data on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
Lt. Commander Data

Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Postby tonyp » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Yes, my apologies. One small step is a lot closer to being flat floor than CB80s or older Volgrens however, which have about 3 steps after the centre door.

Swift - to me it looks like the centre door is before the step which looking from the front. I'm sure there'll be plenty of photos of the Adelaide one, once it enters service.

It's a conventional VST/XDi body, That step in the aisle is up in the back section. The floor slopes up from low at the front door to increasingly high towards the back. The trade-off for having less steps in the aisle is that there is a footwell with steps at the centre door, which is a bit of a no no in a city bus nowadays.

However ACTION seems to be generally behind the times in having buses with steps at the centre door/s. They slow passenger exchange, are a safety hazard and are impossible for people to pass through with prams, suitcases or trolleys - forcing them to push through a crowd to the front door.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for that tonyp, didn't realise a gradually sloping floor was a feature on the VSTs. In any case it's better than the CB60 body, where the half of the bus is so high a 6ft tall person (such as myself) can't stand up without hitting their head on the roof.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
Lt. Commander Data

Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Postby tonyp » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:44 am

Lt. Commander Data wrote:Thanks for that tonyp, didn't realise a gradually sloping floor was a feature on the VSTs. In any case it's better than the CB60 body, where the half of the bus is so high a 6ft tall person (such as myself) can't stand up without hitting their head on the roof.

Yep it's an uphill battle (pardon the pun) getting the perfect bus. The agencies/operators and manufacturers together don't seem to be able to join the dots, with the exception of Volgren's Optimus on a fully low floor Scania N series chassis that some operators have purchased.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby The King of Buses » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Lt. Commander Data wrote:The second VST has arrived in Canberra - fleet number 623.

It is still yet to arrive - it left Bustech yesterday though (and presumably will stop off at Scania in Sydney for a few days).
“The universe is big. It’s vast and complicated and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles.” - The Doctor
The King of Buses

Favourite Vehicle: ACTION Renault PR100.2 BUS.967

Postby LB608 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Is it beening driven or on a a lowloader & remember Bush fires
LB608

Postby ZIB-585 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:41 pm

The King of Buses wrote:It is still yet to arrive - it left Bustech yesterday though (and presumably will stop off at Scania in Sydney for a few days).

Or a week. It has arrived today from Scania. Believe it was driven (as all Scania deliveries have been).
Driver of the last bus to use Belconnen Interchange, 24 May 2009.
ZIB-585

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Postby moa999 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:35 pm

tonyp wrote:The trade-off for having less steps in the aisle is that there is a footwell with steps at the centre door, which is a bit of a no no in a city bus nowadays.

Albeit it also means pax are less likely to get caught by the centre door opening - as it has a dedicated space to enter into.

Personally I don't mind it for many routes. If you need absolute stepless entry/exit then you probably also need the bus to kneel so can only use the front door anyway.
moa999

Postby tonyp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Buses in Europe kneel all along the nearside, not just the front corner, so you have level access at all doors. Steps and stairwells are a bad thing on any urban bus.
tonyp

Postby Tonymercury » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:51 am

tonyp wrote:Buses in Europe kneel all along the nearside, not just the front corner, so you have level access at all doors. Steps and stairwells are a bad thing on any urban bus.

And if you increase the height of the kerb you can have level access without using a ramp.
Tonymercury

Postby tonyp » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:28 am

This is on the NSW thread - more relevant here:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... xvh0v.html
tonyp

Postby Fleet Lists » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:03 pm

The Carbridge Toro shown in the article is listed in the NSW fleet list as
Operator Carbridge
Depot Sydney
Fleet Number B1
Registration CJ47CR
Chassis Type Carbridge Toro - BYD K9 eBus
Chassis No 0052
Body Manufacturer Gemilang
Body No -