HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Adelaide / South Australia Transport Discussion
Bodø Glimt

Re: HISTORY of ADELAIDE - BUS, TRAIN & TRAM ROUTES

Post by Bodø Glimt »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:There was a short lived 732, night version of the 733 and 722, along with the 716.
I guess that depends on your interpretation of short lived but they ran for about four years. The 688 was short lived :P
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

interesting notes the LATE Chris STEELE sent me a file on trolleybus history OF SA for my forth coming book on Australian trolley buses of Australia
Guy Arab
PD2/20

Post by PD2/20 »

Diesel_MAN wrote:
Eurostar wrote:Did 724 go to the city? Was there any proposals to have the 724 go via mitsubishi lonsdale? Whats the history of the 730-739s
I haven't gone through it in detail, but a quick search on the archived version of Adelaide Metro's website yielded a timetable for the 724 from January 25, 2004. It states that the 724 "connects with city bus" and that variations of the route with a letter suffix did not. I don't know where Mitsubishi Lonsdale is/was, though, so I can't determine the answer to that question.

The 730 ran from Marion Centre to Old Reynella. The 733 and 734 run from Colonnades Interchange to Marion Centre. The 737 currently runs from Old Reynella to Chandlers Hill, but used to be a Chandlers Hill feeder service. There was a 737H from Chandlers Hill to the O'Halloran Hill TAFE. The 738 and 739 took different routes from Marion Centre to Blackwood Interchange. The 738U "divert[ed] to Registry Road loop along University Drive".

https://web.archive.org/web/20041012011 ... ableN.html
Mitsubishi Lonsdale was/is east of railway line between Christie and Sherriffs Roads and within walking distance of Londale Railway Stn.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Bodø Glimt wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:There was a short lived 732, night version of the 733 and 722, along with the 716.
I guess that depends on your interpretation of short lived but they ran for about four years. The 688 was short lived :P
I'll bite, what was a 688?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
Bodø Glimt

Post by Bodø Glimt »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:I'll bite, what was a 688?
It was a shuttle that ran from Hallett Cove station to Hallett Cove Beach station when the Beach station was being rebuilt.
Eurostar
Favourite Vehicle: XPT

Post by Eurostar »

In 2001 716 timetable it mentions in the route description a road called New Honeypot Road, Honeypot Road. I gather New Honeypot Road is the part leading off of Goldsmith Drive
Next station is Victoria Square. Change here for all trains.
Bodø Glimt

Post by Bodø Glimt »

Eurostar wrote:In 2001 716 timetable it mentions in the route description a road called New Honeypot Road, Honeypot Road. I gather New Honeypot Road is the part leading off of Goldsmith Drive
Yes. Old Honeypot Road is down towards River Road.
paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

Hi, everyone.

Is there a list available somewhere of which private bus operators operated Sunday morning services on behalf of the MTT in the 70's?

Can you also shed some light as to why the MTT did not run the services themselves?

Regards,

Paul.
leyland4ever

Post by leyland4ever »

Hello Paul,

I was hoping someone else might have a go at this - I've not taken much interest in the subject.

I remember Worthleys operated the Glenelg via Anzac Highway Sunday morning route, and Morphetts (the Churchill Road Morphetts, not the Port-Glenelg one) the Largs/Semaphore via Port Road, but I think others companies did them at different times.

I can't remember which other routes were operated by privates, but I'm pretty sure there are more than two.

The MTT did quite a number - Kilkenny via Torrens Road, Springfield/Glen Osmond, Unley, Kensington Gardens.

Until the early 1950s, double deck vehicles, including open top Garfords were used, meaning a conductor was required. Unley, Kensington Gardens etc were the only tram destination signs on the double deckers - otherwise they had only signs for the Anzac Highway routes, trolley bus routes, and feeder bus routes.

One-man Regal 111s did most of the Sunday am routes in the 1950s, then one-man three door buses after that.

I recall that the MTT took over the private Sunday routes some time in the 1970s, but not sure just when.

Of course, Sunday morning became part of a normal timetable, I think in the early 1980s.

It originated way back when the longtime General Manager, Sir William Goodman, decreed that trams were not to operate on Sundays before midday (City of Churches and all that!)

Apparently, as late as 1979, the STA was reluctant to operate a Sunday morning service on the Glenelg line as a special one-off on the occasion of the celebrations for the 50th anniversary of the line. They got round it by running it as a charter trip, and allowing only invited guests on board!

MTT Annual Reports would probably list the operators of these services - I'll dig out a few and have a look, although I don't have many past the early 1960s

Cheers,

Trevor
Madbus
Favourite Vehicle: A-City 4000 class railcar

Post by Madbus »

how about the 747?
CB80S RULE the world
Madbus
Favourite Vehicle: A-City 4000 class railcar

Re:

Post by Madbus »

The Mayor wrote:Here are the answers:

:arrow: No such service as Route 775. Never has been either... well not in Adelaide.

:arrow: Route 490 was re-numbered Route 228 on 9th March 1986. It commenced from Kintore Avenue (adjacent War Memorial) and ran via current route to the terminus @ Baker Street, Elizabeth Downs.

The terminal @ Baker Street is still clearly visible.
route 775 does exist, it goes from Sheidow Park to Woodcroft College. But it's mostly a school route. https://adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/775
CB80S RULE the world
jibb

Post by jibb »

School Route numbers like 775 were only introduced in January 2016.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

bus and train boffin wrote:how about the 747?
Here is the basic gist of the 747 (and later 745), taken from Documents prepared by D G Evans (edited slightly by me to flow a bit better for use on here), passed on to me by a friend.

On the 21st of August, 1989, the STA commenced mbs (motorbus service) as Route 747 from terminal (facing S) at Zone C at Noarlunga Centre Interchange via David Witton Dr, Burgess Dr, Goldsmith Dr, *Liguria Cr, Liguria Cr, Barcelona Rd, Huntingdale Rd, Manica Av, Lydiate Rd, Marelle Way & Barcelona Rd to temporary terminal N from Marelle Way (NOARLUNGA DOWNS) rv Barcelona Rd.

Operated only bet c. 0600 & 1900 h Mon-Fri with c. 40 min headway during peak periods & 60 min headway interpeak.

Bet c. 0830 & 1900 h, extended from Noarlunga Centre Interchange via David Witton Dr & Hannah Rd (clockwise) to terminal (facing W) at Zone F at Colonnades SC rv Hannah Rd, left David Witton Dr & Noarlunga Centre Interchange.

On the 22nd of August, 1992, Sat service introduced: c. 60 min headway bet c. 0730 & 1830 h: up buses extended to Colonnades SC bet c. 0900 & 1700, down buses operated from Colonnades SC bet c. 1300 & 1700 h.

From the 22nd of November, 1993, Rerouted from Barcelona Rd via Huntingdale Rd, Manica Av, Perry Rd, River Rd, Patapinda Rd, Main South Rd, Griffiths Dr & Grand Boulevard to terminal N from Dalkeith Rd then via Grand Boulevard, circle roundabout at Grand Boulevard/Dalkeith Rd & Grand Boulevard to up terminal opp S entrance to SC (SEAFORD RISE) rv Grand Boulevard.

From the 11th of August, 1996, it was extended to form loop with former Noarlunga Centre-Seaford-Moana (Route 745). Buses operated thus:

• Route 745 (anticlockwise) - from Noarlunga Centre Interchange (Zone A - facing S) via David Witton Dr, David Witton Rd, Beach Rd, Dyson Rd, Murray Rd, Gawler St, Saltfleet St, Commercial Rd, Fremantle Rd, Kalgoorlie Av, Cliff Av, Norseman St, Aldam Rd, Quadrant Tc, Helmsman Tc, Esplanade, Nashwauk Cr, Dalkeith Rd, left Grand Boulevard, The Parade, Commercial Rd, Griffiths Dr, Main South Rd & former Route 747 to Noarlunga Centre Interchange.

• Route 747 (clockwise) - from Noarlunga Centre Interchange (Zone A - facing S) via former Route 747 to Main South Rd then via Griffiths Dr, Grand Boulevard, The Parade, Commercial Rd, Griffiths Dr, Grand Boulevard, right Dalkeith Rd, Nashwauk Cr, Esplanade & reverse of Route 745 to Dyson Rd then via Goldsmith Dr & David Witton Dr to Noarlunga Centre Interchange.

Operated only bet c. 0500 & 2000 h Mon-Fri and bet c. 0630 & 1900 h Sat. Bet c. 0810 & 1930 h Mon-Fri and bet c. 0845 & 1700 h Sat extended from Noarlunga Centre Interchange via David Witton Dr & Hannah Rd to Colonnades SC: buses turned by circling roundabout at Hannah Rd/Alexander Kelly Dr

That was the last major reroute. Sunday services were introduced on the 30th of Spetember, 2001. Since then there have been the normal time changes and minor reroutes, with the changes at Noarlunga probably being the most recent.

Hope that was informative.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
torrens117
Favourite Vehicle: "1318" MAN 18.260

Post by torrens117 »

Looking for information on the original West Lakes loop services. WL1, WL2, WL3, WL4.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

old post:
the WL1, WL2, WL3 and WL4. I have no idea of dates, so someone else can fill those bits in if they know.

Back in the late 70's or early 80's, the (then) Woodville Council commenced a community bus called "Woodline". It ran 5 days a week and fed major centres around the Woodville Council, such as West Lakes Shopping Centre, Arndale, QEH, Woodville Town Hall and Council Chambers, Target Fulham Gardens and Welland Shopping Centre. The Charles Sturt Council Library may have a timetable if you want to look at it. It operated as a loop service and it had a different route for each day of the week. It ran in both directions and you may be able to find some old Woodline Stops around if you know where to look.

In the early 90's, the Council decided not to run this service anymore, so (I think it was at the time) TransAdelaide took over some of these services.

WL1 and WL2 (I cannot remember which ones ran what way) ran a loop service from West Lakes, following the current J7 route to Port Rd, then detoured to Woodville Station, Woodville Rd, Findon Rd, Henley Beach Rd, Tapleys Hill Rd, Trimmer Parade, Sportsman Drive to get back to West Lakes. WL3 and WL4 (one was the reverse of the other, and now called 374) ran through the more popular areas of the backstreets of the Woodline to service from Kidman Park to West Lakes. Other than route number, the WL3/WL4/374 has not changed in over 15 years, other than the times it runs.

Also, at this time, the 370 (now the Arndale to West Lakes leg of the 231) was created. Other than timetable changes, it still follows the same route.

At some stage round the late 90's or early 00's, the WL1 and WL2 ceased to operate. It was cut back to terminate at Henley Beach Road and called 373. It followed the exact route of the WL1/WL2 though the back streets of Woodville to service Woodville Railway Station. From memory, the residents of the streets of Lockleys (where the bus turned around) complained that the bus was too noisy going down their street!

Around this time, the Henley Beach Rd and Tapleys Hill Rd leg of the WL1/WL2 was taken over by the 134. This has now changed. The 134 has become the 138 and is covering the old 286 leg from Tapleys Hill Rd to Henley Beach. The 286 has become the 288 and covers from Valetta Rd/Tapleys Hill Rd to West Lakes.

At a time unknown to me, the 373 was extended to be called 347X. It ceased to cover the back streets of Woodville and went down Port Rd (like the J7 does now) and, after turning left onto Henley Beach Rd, it continued down Henley Beach Rd and turned right onto Marion Rd, then right onto Mooringe Avenue and followed the current J7 route to Flinders University. It ran express from the Tramline to Marion because, at the time, it could not compete with the Serco routes of 246/247/248. I think it ran limited stops from Marion to FMC and Flinders Uni.

When TT took over the Serco routes, the 347 became all stops.

And, again, at a time I have no idea of, the 347 became the J7 and detoured to the airport along it's current route.

So, this is why the J7 covers Morley Rd in Seaton! All started from the old Woodline community bus!

Bus stops only appeared on Morley Rd and Findon Rd when the 347X commenced. The WL1, WL2 and 373 were all "Hail & Ride" services. The 374 remains a "Hail & Ride" service.

If you want dates, someone else might be able to help. Dates of changes are not my thing! Someone may have a copy of the Woodline timetable if the Library does not.
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Interesting to consider the number of changes that have occurred that post was created.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

Hey, if anyone was available to give me some history of the 645 that would be fantastic. Thanks
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

what I am keen to know a lot about are the histories of the 178,179,576,577's and why the latter three were scrapped.I am sure and this is well before Torrens Transit and now Light City Buses even came into existence how TORRENS AND SERCO Were allowed to compete indirectly for passengers in the ATHELSTONE area as they all went via different paths from memory but not the present operators.the 576/577 was essentially except for the fact it was no longer through linked with the 171/172 like the old 176/177 but started from currie st in the city and went from there along grenfell st,rundle road,hackney rd and some other road then via the o'bahn to klemzig and paradise then via road the rest of the way similar to what we see these days with the present day 178 and H30's and the 579 for the majority of it's routing.
Stephen G Lucas
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B59

Re: Re:

Post by Stephen G Lucas »

Madbus wrote:
The Mayor wrote:Here are the answers:

:arrow: No such service as Route 775. Never has been either... well not in Adelaide.

:arrow: Route 490 was re-numbered Route 228 on 9th March 1986. It commenced from Kintore Avenue (adjacent War Memorial) and ran via current route to the terminus @ Baker Street, Elizabeth Downs.

The terminal @ Baker Street is still clearly visible.
route 775 does exist, it goes from Sheidow Park to Woodcroft College. But it's mostly a school route. https://adelaidemetro.com.au/routes/775
When I wrote that comment, Route 775 did not exist. Please read posts clearly and check the dates.
mmosca447
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202

Post by mmosca447 »

Today, I heard from my father that a bus he used to catch in the 1970's/80's travelled along Greenwillow Crescent in Happy Valley. Is this just an old routing of the 733/723 or a completely different route. If anyone has any info that would be much appreciated
Stephen G Lucas
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B59

Post by Stephen G Lucas »

mmosca447 wrote:Today, I heard from my father that a bus he used to catch in the 1970's/80's travelled along Greenwillow Crescent in Happy Valley. Is this just an old routing of the 733/723 or a completely different route. If anyone has any info that would be much appreciated
Greenwillow Crescent was on former Route 700 (now 722). Route 700 ran along Chandlers Hill Rd, Herrings Ln, Greenwillow Cr then Tripoli Rd.
Eurostar

Post by Eurostar »

Any history on bus services in Gawler? Barossa towns such as Nuriootpa?
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Seeing a mention of what seems to be one solitary 724 that still operates to Old Reynella in the morning, it made me wonder if there was ever a 724 from the city. Did it ever operate, or was it just a feeder?

I think the 724 should be renamed to 734R like with the 721R. There's no need to confuse passengers for a reduction of a few kms with a service.
homer9000

Post by homer9000 »

no mention of the old 197 though.I do catch the present day 200 to panorama for work purposes which was the old 203 to about springbank rd then follows a part of the old 197 through to flinders university and the old 720 onto marion.
leccy

Post by leccy »

TA3001 wrote:Seeing a mention of what seems to be one solitary 724 that still operates to Old Reynella in the morning, it made me wonder if there was ever a 724 from the city. Did it ever operate, or was it just a feeder?

I think the 724 should be renamed to 734R like with the 721R. There's no need to confuse passengers for a reduction of a few kms with a service.
I don't believe there was ever a 724 that ran through to the city. In the very early 1970s there was a solitary Briscoes Route E which ran to and from the CBD (Morialta Street) up in the morning and down in the evening serving 9-5 city office workers. However by the time of STA takeover, which co-incided with the opening of the Christie Downs railway, I believe that all services were feeders, either at Reynella Shopping Centre, Old Reynella or occasionally at Lion Motors on South Road, Morphett Vale.
An enthusiast can be professional too, but any comment here is a personal comment only.

Return to “Discussion - Adelaide / SA”