Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

Network 2018 to include 9 rapid routes

Postby PaxInfo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:33 am

Possibly the biggest ever bus service announcement for Canberra

https://ptcbrorg.wordpress.com/2017/10/ ... ight-rail/

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z4r60.html

Some questions arising:

- The photo (first link) has all routes running every 15 min 7 days. Whereas the CT article says every 15 - 30 min. Or maybe it's 15 min day/30 min night?
- A 15 min / 7 day frequency is great but I can see some of the rapid routes (eg parts of 2, 3, 5, 9) being very quiet.
- Would network patronage be higher if some of the busier local routes got a 30 min service instead and/or there was a rapid service to Queyanbeyan?
PaxInfo

Re: Network 2018 to include 9 rapid routes

Postby ZIB-585 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:42 am

1. The minimum standard for a "Rapid" is 15 mins during the day and 30 min at night.

2. I'll take that as a comment.

3. Impossible to know. Although I'm not sure whether there are any busy suburban services which don't already have 30 min frequencies.

Rapids to Queanbeyan can't happen since it's not within ACT. Queanbeyan residents can already make use of the 200 service from Fyshwick.

IMO all suburbs should have a 30 min frequency BEFORE any expansion of Rapid services. I can't see how additional Rapids by themselves will do anything to increase patronage during off peak times - especially since they will replace existing routes such as the 2 & 3.

What they will do is increase the need to transfer between services which will result in a substantial increase in the passenger boarding count, without actually growing patronage.
Driver of the last bus to use Belconnen Interchange, 24 May 2009.
ZIB-585

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Canberra / ACT