Canberra light rail: Development applications approved in 'b

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

ScaniaK320
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N. 18.280

Re: Canberra light rail: Development applications approved i

Post by ScaniaK320 »

Transit Systems from Adelaide and Sydney will have a fleet buses and drivers based in Canberra in case the trams fail within the first 4 weeks of operation.
A number of drivers will be from their Adelaide Torrens Transit Contract along with some of their buses, Transit System have done this before when they won the region 3 and 6 in Sydney.
Torrens Transit supplied a number of operators to get those contracts up and running. :evil:
All tickets and Passes please
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

ScaniaK320 wrote:Transit Systems from Adelaide and Sydney will have a fleet buses and drivers based in Canberra in case the trams fail within the first 4 weeks of operation.
A number of drivers will be from their Adelaide Torrens Transit Contract along with some of their buses, Transit System have done this before when they won the region 3 and 6 in Sydney.
Torrens Transit supplied a number of operators to get those contracts up and running. :evil:
Since the trams merely replace existing bus services wouldn't they already have enough buses in Canberra anyway, so they could just revert to pre light rail operation until whatever problem was resolved? It seems a very long distance to import resources for an eventuality that has a very small likelihood of happening.
ZIB-585
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O305G

Post by ZIB-585 »

Not that simple. Bus routes and timetables are being massively restructured. New suburbs are being serviced and many bus stops closed.

I'm also not sure how this can be done legally. ACT requires bus operators to be accredited and drivers to have Driver Authorities. Transit Systems is not accredited for route service operations in ACT.
Fully accredited Hino Poncho driver.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

G\In that case its good to see common sense defeating mindless bureaucracy for once.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I'm still somewhat perplexed. The likelihood of a new system having a major failure is almost unknown, but in any case what would make it different from a normal bustitution? During the life of the system there is always something that will bring it to a halt, typically a motorist driving into a tram. Where will TC get its buses and drivers from every time there is a bustitution? Not from Adelaide or Sydney that's for sure.
ScaniaK320
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N. 18.280

Post by ScaniaK320 »

I fully agree and I am really shocked that this is happening, I was sure ACT had enough buses to cover this should the Light Rail fail.
The buses in Adelaide are being inspected by the SA Government as we speak for the trip to ACT.
As for the driver authorities, as long as you hold one in your home state you are able to drive anywhere in Australia with fare paying passengers, you would only need to change over your authorities if you intend to reside full time in another state, otherwise how do the coach companies get on when travelling interstate on tours and charters?
All tickets and Passes please
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

As mentioned above, it appears to be a restriction on running route services in ACT. Other operators running charters is a different situation.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
gascoyne

Post by gascoyne »

ScaniaK320 wrote:Transit Systems from Adelaide and Sydney will have a fleet buses and drivers based in Canberra in case the trams fail within the first 4 weeks of operation.
Where were they today? see https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... -services/
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... paid-week/
Canberra light rail passenger numbers down in first week

Andrew Brown
Latest News
The first week of paid tram travel saw almost 30,000 fewer boardings than the weekly average during the first month of free services.

Transport Canberra points to the Reconciliation Day public holiday impacting figures in the first week of full fares, and the "three coldest days of the year".

There were fewer passengers on the Canberra light rail in its first paid week. Picture: Sitthixay Ditthavong

In the first week of paid services between May 27 and June 2, there were 77,668 boardings across the week excluding the public holiday Monday, compared to the average of 106,279 boardings in a week in the free trial.

Figures show an average of 14,876 boardings on the light rail a day in the first paid week, after a month-long free trial.

However, it represents a drop of almost 2500 passengers, from the average of 17,297 boardings in the four-week free period.

Despite the drop, a spokesman for Transport Canberra said more data was needed to determine trends on the light rail network and it was too early to determine if passengers were declining.

"Historically, we see reduced patronage across the network due to poor weather and holidays," the spokesman said.

"The week of May 27 to June 2, we experienced three of the coldest days of the year and Monday was a public holiday."

More services had been added to the light rail network during the four-week free period due to increased passenger demand.

One extra service was added to the morning peak while three more were added to the afternoon peak.

The Transport Canberra spokesman said the number of services running since the introduction of paid fares had not changed.

"Service and capacity levels are continually monitored and any increase to service levels will be made as the need is identified," the spokesman said.

Overall, Transport Canberra says boardings had been better than anticipated, already topping numbers expected in two years time.

"Transport Canberra is very pleased light rail is so popular. We're already hitting our 2021 business case passenger numbers."

While passenger numbers on the light rail may have been down in first week, Transport Canberra has said there was an increase in people using public transport in Canberra across the whole network compared with the same time last year.

Overall, more people are using buses and trams put together than used the buses this time last year.

Passenger journeys have increased 9 per cent this year compared with the same point in 2018, while boardings are up 13 per cent.

"Journeys across the entire new network are up 12 per cent," the spokesman said.

"Transport Canberra expects that patronage will continue to increase week on week from previous years."
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I've seen a lot of cab videos of this sort of thing from around the world, but Canberrans seem to raise the definition of stupid to new heights. Like most of them seem to be aware of the tram but go in front of it anyway.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

One year of Canberra light rail - 4.2 million passengers.

https://www.facebook.com/TransportCanbe ... 101379606/
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

tonyp wrote:One year of Canberra light rail - 4.2 million passengers.

https://www.facebook.com/TransportCanbe ... 101379606/
Is that around what they expected it to carry?
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I'm not familiar with that detail but I believe Canberra bus services altogether carry about 20 million per year and Canberra commuting is overwhelmingly car dominated. In that context, I'd say it is off to a healthy start.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Canberra light rail: Development applications approved in 'b

Post by boronia »

More information on what stage 2A of Canberra's light rail network will look like as public consultation opens

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-28/ ... /102151712
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Canberra / ACT”