Action MAN SL202 "Bus734"

Canberra / ACT Transport Discussion - Where the ACTION is

Moderator: Busnerd

mmtranz2002

Action MAN SL202 "Bus734"

Post by mmtranz2002 »

Happy new year to you all. I hope the festivities weren't too much for you all. i was wondering if anybody had &/or has photos of the above vehicle, that they would be willing to send to me? I am really keen to gather information about this bus. Also, if anybody has REAL Photos of this bus that they are willing to sell Please let me know as well.
Irisbus Rider
Favourite Vehicle: CC Mercedes Benz 0405

Post by Irisbus Rider »

I have a photo I found off a website many years ago, unfortunately, it appeares as though this website is unavaliable, or more or less, non existant.
--It must be heeded I did not take this photo, Nor am I claiming it as my own, I am merely re-distributing it with full acknowledgements to the original photo capturer. So if the original photo capturer is a member of this forum, please contact me, and post it yourself, giving full credit to your own work; thanks--
But here is the picture;
Once again, read above, this is not my picture.
go-bus: The Metro Advantage
Ryan
Favourite Vehicle: PR180.2 Mk1

Post by Ryan »

I also have a photo i saved from a website, and since RenaultRider said it so well:

I did not take this photo, Nor am I claiming it as my own, I am merely re-distributing it with full acknowledgements to the original photo capturer. So if the original photo capturer is a member of this forum, please contact me, and post it yourself, giving full credit to your own work; thanks--

This is NOT my photo.

Also, we have an ACTION produced informaton booklet on evaluation buses. I might have to email them to see if we can reproduce it onto the ACT BUS website, but i'll quote the small portion on 734 ,
634 - MAN SL202
This 43 seat 11.7 metre unit is powered by a 117kW (240bhp) engine and a 3 speed Renk transmission. Apart from the body and rear, and the doors, the body is similar to the Ansair-Built renaults. 735 was to have been a second MAN SL202 with Ainsair body. However, ACTION canncelled the order late last year.

734 has standadrd Ansair VOV Mark I seats a fitted to the Renaults and Merc's. Upholstered in gray frontrunne

Desto: Alcatel STC Cannon dot matrix route number and destination on front, number only on side.

Livery: 734 carries a relatively simple but sparkling 1991 impression of ACTION's colours. Predominantly white, the MAN has two broad bands around the base of the bus below the rubstrip - the bottom of blue topped by a light orange which is supposed to be in ACTION corporate 'yellow fire'. These bands are repeated above the windows but in narrower stripes. The lower bands continue around the front and back of the bus. The white wheels highlight the freshness of the livery, Unfortunately the interior does not measure up to the same standards. The inside of the MAN is esentially the same as the Ansair bodied Mack/Renaults, with brown rubber floor, grey Frontrunner upholstery, brown handrails and buff side panels. A very sombre, uninspiring and poorly colour co-ordinated interior.
Hope that helps!
Last edited by Ryan on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmtranz2002

Post by mmtranz2002 »

Thanks heaps for sharing these photos of this bus. I surely hope that the Owner of them doesn't mind you sharing them with me.
Sir Pompously
Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Post by Sir Pompously »

Ryan,
May I ask what they say about the PR100 in the evaluation buses brochure?

I like the look of it, the livery is abit bland, but the look of the bus with the Ansair body don't look half bad.

Also looking at the fleetlists this bus is now with Transit First in Sydney.
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

unfortunately this brochure doesnt have any info on 672 (renumbered 674), the PR100. I believe this booklet was obtained from an open day, and it contains info on the 1949 Regal, 1961 AEC Reliance No. 050, 730, 731,732, 733, 734 and 736, in addition to some earlier history (1930-1960 approx) on ACT public transport.

In regards to 674, i could point you in the direction of some photos of it in the summernats AOA. Checking my photo "database" i have 5 photos of the bus, 3 in the summernats AOA, one in the older "zig-zag" style livery and one in the older thin-blue-stripe over the large orange section livery.

I recall getting this bus a number of times when i was in year 7/8/9 for my school buses, it was sold off in 2000 unfortunately . Its a shame, it was a fantastic vehicle and its a shame ACTION didn't want to keep the one-of-a-kind vehicle.
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

PR100 wrote:Ryan,
May I ask what they say about the PR100 in the evaluation buses brochure?

I like the look of it, the livery is abit bland, but the look of the bus with the Ansair body don't look half bad.

Also looking at the fleetlists this bus is now with Transit First in Sydney.
There are quite a few of them in Melbourne Town. Same body and Chassis, but by the looks of it different trim inside.

So anyone know what the go is with this MAN order. I'd never heard of it until I read the fleets list here. It seems odd to order such a small number, especially for eval, and then to cancel it. I seem to recall when ACTION trialed a MET SL202 with the same body.
Kananook

Post by Kananook »

ajw373 wrote:There are quite a few of them in Melbourne Town. Same body and Chassis, but by the looks of it different trim inside.
If you are referring to the ex-MetBus MAN MkII's, they are SL200's, not SL202's. Whlst they have an Ansair body which is similar, they have a different front amongst other things.
ajw373 wrote:So anyone know what the go is with this MAN order. I'd never heard of it until I read the fleets list here. It seems odd to order such a small number, especially for eval, and then to cancel it.
The proposal was for two MAN evaluation vehicles, 734 and 735.

Bus 734 was delivered, and had a virtually identical interior to the PR100.2's. It was diesel powered.

Bus 735 was to be identical body wise, but word is that it was to be CNG-powered. As mentioned above, the delivery of this bus was cancelled for some reason and did not enter service with ACTION. I'm not sure whether or not it ended up being built as diesel-powered, or converted to diesel after ACTION cancelled the order for the bus. In any case, it was purchased by Bathurst Coaches. It now runs in Murray Bridge, South Australia.
ajw373 wrote:I seem to recall when ACTION trialed a MET SL202 with the same body.
I have never heard of this. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Met Bus 339 ended up being demonstrated at a number of locations - it was arguably the first true wheelchair accessible city bus (it had a wheelchair lift at the front door, and was not low floor). It was a big thing at the time when it entered service back in 1990!!!
Kananook

Post by Kananook »

PR100 wrote:I like the look of it, the livery is abit bland,
It was the best livery featured on th 6 evaluation vehicles by far.

730 & 731 were plain navy and white with a very fine red line
732 was plain white
733 was vulgar, and featured at least six colours if I can recall
734 as seen in pic, and pity it wasn't adopted as standard
736 was yellow with a pink "ribbon" on the front and side. Also disgusting.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

The MAN/ Ansair was not a MET bus from Melbouurne but had a similar body - it ended up with Metro Tasmania.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
jaymietreadwell
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M/B/L, Merc O405/NH

Re: Action MAN SL202 "Bus734"

Post by jaymietreadwell »

Arighty people - time to re-liven this thread - Action Bus 734 was definitely as pictured, and is now with Veolia Transport NSW as Bus 693 (M/O 8850) - current photo can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaymietrea ... 0312488286 - this is actually my photo, and I am also uploading a video of it to Youtube, ready for viewing on December 16, 2012 (Here's the link anyway http://youtu.be/3XejUvhJw04)
Here's a short piece of background info taken straight from Bus Australia Fleetlists "ex Transit First (Demerton Pty Ltd), Bankstown (72) m/o 8850 1/2/07; ex Baxter's Bus Lines (Holroyd Bus Lines Pty Ltd), Villawood (50) m/o 8850 1/1/05; ex m/o 363; ex STA (3567) m/o 7012 - leased to BUS2000 3/01; ex Parramatta Ryde Bus Service (Riverside Bus & Coach Services Pty Ltd), Ermington m/o 7012; ex Action, Canberra, ACT (734) BUS 734"
This bus has a MAN D2866UH 180kW (241bhp) 11.967L rear-mounted diesel engine with a 4-speed Renk Doromat series transmission and an Ansair body, and now has a Mobitec dot-matrix destination board on the front, and the side board has been removed
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

There is also an ABP photo of it in the photo gallery in its TransitFirst days http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... p?pos=-536
And Kurt has also taken a photo of it and while I do not have it in its original state, there are two copies of it in the photo gallery photoshopped

Into Connex livery http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-5850
Into Transport for NSW livery http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... ?pos=-6157
Living in the Shire.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

More info on Bus 734 on the ACT Bus Wiki: http://www.actbus.net/fleetwiki/index.php?title=BUS_734

There's also nine photos of the bus in our Gallery (Click the link in the bottom right of the Wiki page)
Get on Board - http://www.actbus.net - Canberra's Transport Enthusiast Website
• Website • Forum • ACTION Fleet Wiki • Gallery • Retired ACT Transport Employees Club •

Return to “Discussion - Canberra / ACT”