Open TTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe)

Discuss Transport Simulator games in this section

Moderator: busrider

PLI
Favourite Vehicle: Busabout Volvo B7RLE/Bustech's

Open TTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe)

Post by PLI »

The download is free and can be found here: http://www.openttd.org/en/

I have been addicted to this game ever since I downloaded it on Sunday!!!

Its called Open TTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe)

The aim of the game is to build a transport network for a whole heap of isolated town and mini cities on this big map.

The game starts off in 1950, and then the years go by and with those years new types of vehicles become available, and towns are becoming bigger, the game ends at 2050. Like in real life.

You can build, bus networks, train networks, ship and plane.

Here are some shots/photos

(ps. the shots on here look worse than the actual game, because I had to make them smaller to fit on this page)

The map starts like this in 1950:
20081018_tom_storey.png
20081018_tom_storey.png (229.1 KiB) Viewed 41559 times
And hopefully ends up like this in 2050
20091018_panswat_tongvorarat.png
20091018_panswat_tongvorarat.png (279.45 KiB) Viewed 41559 times
I'm currently up to 1970 with bus networks in all towns and starting building on a train line covering the whole map :wink:

Thanks,

PLI
• FLEET LISTS • Train • Ferry • Light Rail •
http://trackrecordfl.com/
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Re: Open TTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe)

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Another good game like Open TTD is Simutrans; although it's not based on Transport Tycoon Deluxe it is still based on the same gameplay mechanics :D and has a large following.

I'll post screenshots of it by request. :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention the original Transport Tycoon: said game is EXCELLENT :D and I've played it for hours on end-until the game begun glitching when I reached around 2013. I stopped playing it when I first got Simutrans.
leamfarrar
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 12.220/CB30

Post by leamfarrar »

I just got back into playing this game. Got a couple of extra additions such as double-decker buses and streetcars, but even with those additions; it is such a great game... now only if I could get my Aussie Town Names mod working properly; I would be in seventh heaven :)
PLI

Post by PLI »

Wow, how did you get them Ieamfarrar? Through the downloads window on the game main page? What a they called?

Thanks,

PLI
PLI

Post by PLI »

Don't worry, I found them! They should make pre-made maps that have transport systems already established, like on the front page! I reckon that'll be fun
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

A similar game was Sid Meier's Locomotion. It had better graphics and some nice features such as trams. I should dig out my old copy of it and try and find the key now I'm getting sick of Minecraft...
James00
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Post by James00 »

krustyklo wrote:A similar game was Sid Meier's Locomotion.
It was Chris Sawyer's Locomotion....Chris made the original Transport Tycoon and Transport Tycoon Deluxe as well as RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 & 2.
crazyturbo76

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Crazyturbo76 used to play Railroad Tycoon, which was quite a good game despite being 23 years old. He got through 100 years in Europe... although he used a certain cheat to have plenty of cash.
Did anyone else who play Transport Tycoon have their game glitch up by their vehicles endlessly return to depot all the time? Crazyturbo76's trucks and buses all at one point kept returning to depot despite my efforts to get them to start moving.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

It was Chris Sawyer's Locomotion....Chris made the original Transport Tycoon and Transport Tycoon Deluxe as well as RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 & 2.
D'oh, of course it was! Sid Meier was Civ. :oops:
Crazyturbo76 used to play Railroad Tycoon, which was quite a good game despite being 23 years old. He got through 100 years in Europe... although he used a certain cheat to have plenty of cash.
Did anyone else who play Transport Tycoon have their game glitch up by their vehicles endlessly return to depot all the time? Crazyturbo76's trucks and buses all at one point kept returning to depot despite my efforts to get them to start moving.
Yep, definitely remember Railway Tycoon. The classic error used to be that if you could lose money without getting closed down or taken over, you would go form something like 64 million in the red to 64 million in the black, presumably due to some sort of overflow error.

And I used to get traffic jams from rail vehicles returning to the depot too. I found the best way to solve it without fancy trackwork was to keep the depots away from busy junctions, although you would occasionally get the odd lost train. The bus stations tended to be a bit annoying too when they got jammed. Never really used trucks as I found they tended to have limited capacity to move anything worth moving compared to running a train.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

The other thing of interest I saw is that there are plans to release Transport Tycoon Deluxe on Android: http://www.transporttycoon.com/ (tomorrow as it happens!)

Although in researching this post I find OpenTTD is already there: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .sdl&hl=en
crazyturbo76

Post by crazyturbo76 »

krustyklo wrote: Never really used trucks as I found they tended to have limited capacity to move anything worth moving compared to running a train.
Crazyturbo76 never used ferries or boats that much in Transport Tycoon, as (1), building the waterways to support the big beasts could leave you drained of resources (if the path from one point to another wasn't already there), (2), they were expensive (a contemporary 1930s Leyland Tiger or AEC Regal bus in Transport Tycoon was about 1/4 the price of a 1930s ferry in Transport Tycoon), and (3), why was there a need for ferries if you could just build bridges and run faster trains over them?

As I said several posts earlier, Simutrans is much like Transport Tycoon, but (1), is freeware and open-source, (2), adds trams, monorails, trolleybuses and maglevs in addition to the regular bus/truck, boat, train and aircraft types (depending on the pakset you decide to use). Different paksets add different graphics, vehicles and objects to the commotion but are worth it. Crazyturbo76 often uses the Pak128.Britain pakset, which is much more detailed and much better than the default pak64 pakset that comes with the Simutrans executable. If you're not convinced, head to http://simutrans.com and fetch the game yourself.

Here's a shot of the default pak64 pakset; apologies if its not the latest version but I just grabbed a pic off Wikipedia (I'm away from home for the week and henceforth am unable to access my home desktop). I'll pop some better shots of version 112.3 up when I get back home by the end of the week.

James00
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Post by James00 »

krustyklo wrote:The other thing of interest I saw is that there are plans to release Transport Tycoon Deluxe on Android: http://www.transporttycoon.com/ (tomorrow as it happens!)
Looks good, its actually the engine/graphics from locomotion, interesting to see that this is getting released by Chris Sawyer's own company.
GeelongBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Into mostly of Mercs and Volvo

Post by GeelongBuses »

Im actually installing this now!
I hope its great, Ive read the posts and it sounds great!

Cheers, Ben
Subscribe to my youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZBTOrRG2LiE_MUeRy54fbQ
GTZ I make Transport Videos and Gaming!
PLI

Post by PLI »

Simutrans or Open TTD?

PLi
GeelongBuses
Favourite Vehicle: Into mostly of Mercs and Volvo

Post by GeelongBuses »

PLI wrote:Simutrans or Open TTD?

PLi
OpenTTD.
Subscribe to my youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZBTOrRG2LiE_MUeRy54fbQ
GTZ I make Transport Videos and Gaming!
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

The original TT cheat involved creating a tunnel from coast to coast and when you hit "build" it gave you $4 billion in cash!
TA3001
Favourite Vehicle: 1640. In service - 1738

Post by TA3001 »

Too bad if there's a creek in the way lol

You don't really need shitloads of cash at the start of the game. Just set up some rail services that are profitable and you'll be able to continuously expand. I usually try to make my lines interconnected to form a network.
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

TA3001 wrote:Too bad if there's a creek in the way lol

You don't really need shitloads of cash at the start of the game. Just set up some rail services that are profitable and you'll be able to continuously expand. I usually try to make my lines interconnected to form a network.

Doesn't matter what's in the way. When you go to "place" a tunnel it shows you if it reaches coast to coast and if it does....build it regardless of your cash and it will credit you with $4 billion. Why f*ck around?

If there is no suitable (hardly) path to place a tunnel then simply look at the landscape and splurge your cash on doing whatever it requires to enable you to build your tunnel. 3 yr old stuff really
TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Introducing Red Hens 437 to 440 in the year 1971, and 441-444 which are operating from the other end

TA3001

Post by TA3001 »

Floss 47 number 1106 leaving the depot on it's first run. Let's hope it doesn't need what I think two separate engine rebuilds in it's first 6 years of service, like the Admet vehicle with the same number. It's made it out of the depot under it's own power without any issues, so there may be some hope for it.

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

This reminds of the "Transport Giant Gold" game that I played for a while as a 10 year old, a quick Googling has revealed the game has been revamped for Steam(ing pile of ....)

Google Images Search Link

Another game I've had plenty of time to mess around with was Sim City 4. Not bad, although there are some notable traffic glitches that need (and have been) patched. I'm still yet to have tested my theory on building a society where each "suburb" is isolated and only connected by a rail line.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I know this is an ancient dig, but I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kevin, better known as kamnet from the official OpenTTD message board over at https://tt-forums.net/

OpenTTD is still going and being updated, and our players keep creating a lot of new content. Since this thread was started we've had some users contributing a lot of Australian-oriented content. One of our members is retired from the Australian railways and has used his vast knowledge of operations to create trains and re-create various operations.

A recent update to the game has expanded the number of types of road transport that can be added, and I am personally taking on a new project to introduce a new comprehensive global trolleybus set, which is how I've ended up here - I'm researching info on Australian trolleybuses. Previously I was involved in brining about the 2CC Trams Set, which included some early Australian trams, and in the future that project will get a revamp with even more focus.

Anyhow, thanks to PLI for mentioning the game. Feel free to come visit me over on TT-Forums as well. :)
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

Much a late reply, but g'day kamnet and welcome! Perhaps next time I start a new game I'll test out the 2CC series of NewGRFs, seems interesting... I've played OTTD for some time now, and it is a lovely game to get introduced to the world of transport planning simulators. The 8bpp graphics also add an air of retro to the game, which is pretty nice.

I've looked at the AuzTrains and AuzStations sets, and while I do love how detailed they are, they're probably a bit too expansive for a casual player.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

The later version of TT Deluxe, known as Locomotion, is still working for me on my ancient non internet connected machine still running windows 98! My Geeks2U guy can't believe it still works! I only use it for Locomotion and both windows 98 and the game still run fine. I played it regularly during the covid lockdowns of 2020-21. The only bug is that sometimes when you get up to about the 1960s it develops a random error and won't continue that particular game.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.

Return to “Transport Simulators”