WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions - 2018

Post by Leyland B21 »

Bus Suggestions wrote:Question: Can anyone tell me what route the 1979-1983 LincLine buses took?
This is purely on memory.
Terminus in Bennett St East Perth. Left Wittenoom St, Left Hill St, Right Wellington St, Roberts Rd, Railway Rd, Left Loch St, Right Stirling Hwy, Right Queen Victoria Street, Right Parry Street, Left Cantonment Street to terminate near Queen Street.

Return was Queen Street, Left Adelaide Street, Queen Victoria Street, Left Stirling Hwy, Left Loch Street, Right Railway Rd, Continue straight Roberts Rd, Continue straight Wellington Street, left Bennett Street.

Roberts Rd and Hay Street were both bi directional back in the day.

Route 72 to Cottesloe back then picked up the slack of servicing Swanbourne and Grant Street Stations by travelling Stirling Hwy, Stirling Rd, Curtin Ave, Eric St. Once Burke reopened the Freo Line, Route 72 was realigned to service the full length of Eric St between Marine Pde and Stirling Hwy.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

Why i never see 100/101 and 960 run by artic bus. is it specific reason why they cant run artic bus even though this route are bussy route or is that just the depo rooster allocated. because i saw artic on other route like 34/7x even 284
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

pasha241 wrote:Why i never see 100/101 and 960 run by artic bus. is it specific reason why they cant run artic bus even though this route are bussy route or is that just the depo rooster allocated. because i saw artic on other route like 34/7x even 284
The provisions at Canning Bridge Station are barely adequate for two rigid buses at it stands. With 100 and 101 services sometimes departing concurrently, or multiple terminating services utilising the u-turn sequence of the lights, it just wouldn't be practicable, unless the traffic light's sensors and programming were altered to better-prioritise buses. As it stands, the bus u-turn and westbound sequences only occur once in the light cycle. Buses get about 5 seconds in that sequence (it should be variable). With several buses waiting to utilise the u-turn, you would likely cause chaos holding up westbound buses.

In the future, a more functional interchange is intended to be built at Canning Bridge. Of course, it also needs to be designed to be friendly for articulated bus operations and future expansion, unlike the majority of other southern-suburbs interchanges...

My understanding of 960s rarely (if ever) having articulated buses allocated is due to insufficient layover space at Curtin University & ECU Mt. Lawley, in fact, ECU Mt Lawley mightn't even be artic-friendly.
the c man

Post by the c man »

pasha241 wrote:Why i never see 100/101 and 960 run by artic bus. is it specific reason why they cant run artic bus even though this route are bussy route or is that just the depo rooster allocated. because i saw artic on other route like 34/7x even 284
3083 did 960 service yesterday morning around 845 heading to curtin uni. Saw it on plain street in East Perth
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

Merc1107 wrote:
The provisions at Canning Bridge Station are barely adequate for two rigid buses at it stands. With 100 and 101 services sometimes departing concurrently, or multiple terminating services utilising the u-turn sequence of the lights, it just wouldn't be practicable, unless the traffic light's sensors and programming were altered to better-prioritise buses. As it stands, the bus u-turn and westbound sequences only occur once in the light cycle. Buses get about 5 seconds in that sequence (it should be variable). With several buses waiting to utilise the u-turn, you would likely cause chaos holding up westbound buses.

In the future, a more functional interchange is intended to be built at Canning Bridge. Of course, it also needs to be designed to be friendly for articulated bus operations and future expansion, unlike the majority of other southern-suburbs interchanges...

My understanding of 960s rarely (if ever) having articulated buses allocated is due to insufficient layover space at Curtin University & ECU Mt. Lawley, in fact, ECU Mt Lawley mightn't even be artic-friendly.
ok thx i forgot also the sharp u turn intersection at canning. btw before i thought it is because too small station and only has 1 line but how come other route like 114, 115, 160, 910 can use artic and these route is not as busy as 100/101 in peak uni (except 910).

For 960 is weird that these bussy route not have enough artic because insufficient layover. Maybe artic can use for FULL 960 not Mt lawley 960 one. and at curtin why there is other curtin route can use artic like 72, 75, 34 and circle route even 70 and odd 284. if the reason because is insufficient space at curtin maybe these route should has same number of artic shifts as 960

maybe in the future for artic shift on 960 they should have no layover i mean like when 960 arrived at curtin it should straight doing rooster of 960 back to city
Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

Due to stand arrangements at Perth Busport, 960's are not permitted to have articulated vehicles running them, as there is the possibility of them not being able to get onto the allocated stand in certain conditions. This is factored in to the shift cuts, to ensure that 960's are only on shifts that have rigid buses assigned to them. Very seldomly, an artic may appear on one, if a bus is changed off on road by an artic.
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Mr. 1809 covered the bit I forgot about.
pasha241 wrote:btw before i thought it is because too small station and only has 1 line but how come other route like 114, 115, 160, 910 can use artic and these route is not as busy as 100/101 in peak uni (except 910).
All other routes you city definitely get busy at times throughout the day, and naturally we're talking several routes servicing a part (or all) of Canning Hwy as opposed to the 100 and 101 being the exclusive means of accessing Curtin from Canning Bridge.

Also note there is no issue with westbound services utilising articulated buses as Canning Bridge is not a timed stop, nor do services terminate there to commence other runs. It is only a compulsory stop.
pasha241 wrote:For 960 is weird that these bussy route not have enough artic because insufficient layover. Maybe artic can use for FULL 960 not Mt lawley 960 one. and at curtin why there is other curtin route can use artic like 72, 75, 34 and circle route even 70 and odd 284...

maybe in the future for artic shift on 960 they should have no layover i mean like when 960 arrived at curtin it should straight doing rooster of 960 back to city
Bear in mind some of the other services you mention don't always terminate at Curtin University.

As for turnaround times, if your trip to Curtin runs late for whatever reason, the turnaround time can help to alleviate the inadequate slack in the timetable. Eliminating it would not only increase the possibility of late running, it would increase stress on drivers who are faced with even later running if they need to secure their bus to use the toilet (for example).
Last edited by Merc1107 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

I have a query. I have seen a few Mercedes Benz OC500LE CNG (Ex-CAT) and Diesel (ex-Transperth) as well as new Volvo Buses that do not contain rear windows. I was wondering why the back of the bus had no rear windows.
2. There are two transmission variants for the Mercedes OC500LE (TransRegional) - ZF Ecomat and Ecolife. Why Transperth decided to have both the Ecomat and the Ecolife transmissions since their delivery back in late 2010? What sort of Emission standards do they meet? Euro 4, 5 or 6?
Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Shoudy Chen wrote:There are two transmission variants for the Mercedes OC500LE (TransRegional) - ZF Ecomat and Ecolife. Why Transperth decided to have both the Ecomat and the Ecolife transmissions since their delivery back in late 2010? What sort of Emission standards do they meet? Euro 4, 5 or 6?
My understanding was the Ecomat transmission was superseded by the Ecolife around this time.

These OCs are diesel, and will be Euro III or Euro V dependent on age (VIN number will be the giveaway; Euro V has a chassis number starting with WEB6344202 and Euro III starts with WEB6342202). Gas OCs are Euro IV.
Guy_Arab
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N Bus & Guy Arab

Post by Guy_Arab »

some member was asking about a ZF 6 SPEED gearbox for a V8 Mercedes contact me
GUY ARAB
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Merc1107 wrote:
Shoudy Chen wrote:There are two transmission variants for the Mercedes OC500LE (TransRegional) - ZF Ecomat and Ecolife. Why Transperth decided to have both the Ecomat and the Ecolife transmissions since their delivery back in late 2010? What sort of Emission standards do they meet? Euro 4, 5 or 6?
My understanding was the Ecomat transmission was superseded by the Ecolife around this time.

These OCs are diesel, and will be Euro III or Euro V dependent on age (VIN number will be the giveaway; Euro V has a chassis number starting with WEB6344202 and Euro III starts with WEB6342202). Gas OCs are Euro IV.
I was thinking Shoudy Chen was talking about the ex-Transperth OC Diesels... if so, they're both Euro 5. The gearboxes, I'm gonna hazard a guess at some of the OC's were built with one of the last batches of Ecomat's, while the rest were given Ecolife's.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

End of 2010 was the transition from Ecomat to EcoLife on the OC 500 LE/RF chassis production. Operators did not get a choice.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
Zidanehartono

Post by Zidanehartono »

Does anyone know who is the operator of this Express-bodied Volvo B7R, registered as 1DRZ185? Looked up on Perthbus.info and it only shows 1DRZ662.

panther998
Favourite Vehicle: Aberdeen Corp 274, AEC Regent

Post by panther998 »

Zidanehartono asked - Does anyone know the operator of this Express-bodied Volvo B7R, registered as 1DRZ185?

Try http://perthbus.info/report.php?vid=1DRZ185
panther998
Favourite Vehicle: Aberdeen Corp 274, AEC Regent

Post by panther998 »

Swan Valley Explorer, operated by Adams Coachlines.
Uses four (4) ex Transperth (PTA) O405NH low floor units. I have seen B93 [1GQP110] which is ex TP1519. On perthbus, B89 [1GQI496] shows up as ex TP1510. Any idea what the other two are ?
renaultartic
Favourite Vehicle: Merc 339 and Renault Artics

Post by renaultartic »

panther998 wrote:Swan Valley Explorer, operated by Adams Coachlines.
Uses four (4) ex Transperth (PTA) O405NH low floor units. I have seen B93 [1GQP110] which is ex TP1519. On perthbus, B89 [1GQI496] shows up as ex TP1510. Any idea what the other two are ?
B90 = Ex 1718, B91 = Ex 1717.
Purring at City CATs. Driver of 635 buses over a 20 year period.
shinjiman

Post by shinjiman »

Just noticed the buses are using the digital bell sound as the bus stop button had been pressed instead the two second buzzer sound in the Volvo buses. Anyone knows when they’ve changed these over??
Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Re: WA Transport General Discussion & Questions

Post by Bus Suggestions »

It's been sometime since last year.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
Squiddy

Post by Squiddy »

shinjiman wrote:Just noticed the buses are using the digital bell sound as the bus stop button had been pressed instead the two second buzzer sound in the Volvo buses. Anyone knows when they’ve changed these over?? ImageImage
They started changing them at the end of October last year, only on the Optimus buses (the CR228L Volvos are keeping the old buzzer). By now almost every one has been changed over, but there are a few stragglers that haven't been changed yet, such as 3089 which I was on a couple weeks back and still had the old buzzer.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Post by TP1462 »

Bus-1809
Favourite Vehicle: As long as it's not a B7...

Post by Bus-1809 »

It's the same bell that Brisbane Transport use just for the record
If it's not a ZF, take it back!

Holder of W.A's largest transport sound recording collection. Over 1,300 recordings of vehicles and constantly expanding for the enjoyment of future generations.
pasha241

Post by pasha241 »

i want to ask you.

Why does on 2016, transperth decided to change the timetable color of the bus based on the train line to make all uniformly color use grey color
Bus Suggestions

I'll hazard a guess here: They finally realised that basing it off 'service area'/train line proximity was going to be irrelevant. More 'Cross-City' routes would join up 2 train lines at different spots or straddle different operational areas. You have stuff like the Canning Hwy routes, which a lot of them stop by Canning Bridge (Mandurah Line/Southern Service Area, thereby orange) but also go to Fremantle (Freo Line/Western Service Area, thereby blue). A similar case would be the 549 (then-920).
Another would be that colour ink was expensive for them, or that they wanted to better promote the high-frequency services, and some are, as mentioned above, cross-city routes.
Or, they just wanted something a bit consistent.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

pasha241 wrote:i want to ask you.

Why does on 2016, transperth decided to change the timetable color of the bus based on the train line to make all uniformly color use grey color
At the time, significant budgetary constraints were imposed and cost-cutting targets were set for most/all government agencies. This was one of those back end cuts that the PTA made to achieve their target, along with deferral of service changes, staffing/recruitment changes etc, since front end cost cutting (i.e. cutting out actual PT services) was not permitted due to political sensitivity. As a result of this, significantly less colour was used in timetable printing while the maps received less contrast and thus reduced colour requirement.

Of course this has probably worked to their favour now with Labor elected and the METRONET program set to increasingly blur the boundaries that the region colours used to represent for buses. If some of the train network diagrams floating out there are anything to go by, new train line colours could be introduced to coincide with the Forrestfield-Airport Link and Thornlie-Cockburn Link coming online.
Bus Suggestions

A question now from me: When will all the contract areas be 'reshuffled'?

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”