Armadale Line shutdowns

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

the c man

Armadale Line shutdowns

Post by the c man »

9 day shutdown to occur in July for work on stadium station. This will affect armadale/thornlie lines not sure if it will affect midland/Fremantle service. This will also affects commuters heading to the city during peak times
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Re: 9 day shutdown to occur in july

Post by TP1462 »

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/armadalelineclosures

Construction of the new six-platform Perth Stadium Station has started and will be completed at the end of 2017, in time for the Perth Stadium opening at the start of the 2018 AFL season.

While most of the construction work takes place while trains are running, some work must be undertaken when there are no trains on the line, and as such, full line closures of the Armadale and Thornlie lines are required.

Services will be cancelled as outlined below, however train replacement buses will be operating. Detailed information on each closure is available at least two weeks before the disruption.

Weekend closure: Evening of Friday 19 February to last service Sunday 21 February

Weekend closure: Evening of Friday 26 February to last service Sunday 28 February

Night closure: Evenings of Monday 29 February to Thursday 3 March

Long weekend closure: Evening of Friday 4 March to last service Monday 7 March

Easter weekend closure: Evening of Thursday 24 March to last service Monday 29 March

Nine-day Shutdown: evening of Friday 1 July to last service Saturday 9 July
As the nine-day Shutdown will affect five business days from Monday 4 July through to Friday 8 July, detailed service information will be available by late May
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

SO with the massive disruption to the Armadale/Thornlie Train Line, I think that the Australind Train Services will have a huge affect. I'm not sure Transwa run normal services to Bunbury whilst the disruption between Perth - Armadale and Thornlie Lines.
102 at 1625
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 102 at 1625 »

When the Armadale line is closed they just run dedicated coaches between Perth and Armadale. The train still operates as normal to Bunbury. It will certainly inconvenience Australind passengers I wouldn't call the disruption "huge".
TP1173
Favourite Vehicle: High Floors!

Post by TP1173 »

I'm just more interested to see how they will cope during peak hour on the weekdays. It will be chaos!!!!

I mean, they needed to be double banking a rigid with artic on the weekend for rail replacement and both were full. So imagine a weekday peak gig. Lots of private operators.... but surely that won't be able to cover it all during the peak times????
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

They've done plenty of big shutdowns like this July one before. During the Perth City Link project, Mandurah Line construction (Perth Underground, Esplanade construction etc), Fremantle rail bridge collision etc. Certainly will require mammoth loads of buses, particularly for a full line closure, but past experience has proven that they have the resources and knowledge to manage it. During one of the PCL shutdowns, despite new artics being delivered, they delayed the withdrawal of old artics, so that both the old and new ones could be used to provide additional capacity. Perhaps the same will occur again this time. Not to mention operators like Horizons West and Buswest have reasonable fleets of artics that they use on charters which will no doubt be available for deployment if required. Other initiatives such as encouraging commuters to stagger work hours or work from home, car pool etc will help to minimise the impact of disruption from such a large shutdown.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Can't forget the plethora of feeder buses that connect with the Mandurah line not to mention the 294 and the circle route
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/armadal ... osures#Arm
Trains will continue to run from Perth to Claisebrook on the Armadale Line, however the services will be closed between 1/7 to 9/7 from Claisebrook to Armadale/Thornlie. Rail replacement buses are:
917 - runs all stops between Armadale - Cannington with an express between Cannington - Claisebrook (weekdays)
918 - travels all stops between Claisebrook - Cannington (weekdays)
908 - Bus drives between Cannington to Thornlie (weekends and weekdays)
907 - Bus drives from Claisebrook to Armadale (weekends)
LawBayly

Post by LawBayly »

I'm not too sure if they are going to use private operators yet.... mainly because the private operators wouldn't be able to charge for the journeys (no smartrider/ticket machines installed), and unlike the Fremantle downtime they didn't mention anywhere it's free, if anything they are trying to deter people from using public transport for that week. Then again the bus route isn't straight enough for effective Bus Rapid Transit I guess.

The bus between Cannington and thornlie doesn't look scheduled particularly often so might be done by TP with very few busses. (3 or 4)

As for the Cannington to perth, looks like they'll need plenty of busses, so either private or lots of stored High floors.

Then again maybe they'll have a conductor collecting fares on the private operator busses.

I'm sure someone could figure out how many busses are needed for the routes mentioned.. or we can wait for an actual timetable to be released if they do release one.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

LawBayly wrote:I'm not too sure if they are going to use private operators yet.... mainly because the private operators wouldn't be able to charge for the journeys (no smartrider/ticket machines installed), and unlike the Fremantle downtime they didn't mention anywhere it's free, if anything they are trying to deter people from using public transport for that week. Then again the bus route isn't straight enough for effective Bus Rapid Transit I guess.
The bus between Cannington and thornlie doesn't look scheduled particularly often so might be done by TP with very few busses. (3 or 4)
As for the Cannington to perth, looks like they'll need plenty of busses, so either private or lots of stored High floors.
Then again maybe they'll have a conductor collecting fares on the private operator busses.
I'm sure someone could figure out how many busses are needed for the routes mentioned.. or we can wait for an actual timetable to be released if they do release one.
- Between Cannington & Thornlie, you can also catch 206.
- On a different side, it's gonna be really busy with more buses on the road. Maybe they could utilise several antiquated Renault and other high floor buses as well as zippy OCs for rail replacement.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Route 907 between Armadale and Claisebrook (all stops)
http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Portals ... %20map.pdf

Route 908 between Cannington and Thornlie

Map of Route 917 between Cannington and Armadale and express between Claisebrook and Cannington:

Route 918 between Claisebrook and Cannington
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

This is a bulletin segment from 9 News about the Train Shutdowns
https://youtu.be/xsIGTXueFv4
goroundandround

Post by goroundandround »

A couple of observations from the week:

I've been in and out of Cannington Station every night and I reckon I've seen a greater variety of bus models than you'd find in most transport museums! Must've been a bit of a shock for passengers to see a bus older than them (or, indeed, their parents) turn up at the station for them...

One evening there was a private operator's artic that inexplicably attempted a U-turn on Sevenoaks Rd, got nowhere near it (of course!), then jackknifed it and locked up trying to reverse. Hence, the southbound lane that was being used for four bus stops, as well as normal through traffic, was completely blocked and required police to direct traffic for hours. Bet that driver wants to forget that night...
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Were any Horizon's West ex-Adelaide Merc O 305 Gs used?
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

Yes, heaps of ex-Adelaide buses were used. O305/Gs, SL200s, B58s, B10Ms...
Lt. Commander Data

busrider wrote:Yes, heaps of ex-Adelaide buses were used. O305/Gs, SL200s, B58s, B10Ms...
Sounds like Adelaide around 15 years ago. No Scania crap! Cheers for the info. I wonder whether any of the WA members have any photos of these buses??
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
busrider wrote:Yes, heaps of ex-Adelaide buses were used. O305/Gs, SL200s, B58s, B10Ms...
Sounds like Adelaide around 15 years ago. No Scania crap! Cheers for the info. I wonder whether any of the WA members have any photos of these buses??
I suspect the "BookFace" would be the best source...

Otherwise, a couple of Perth 'Erberts (plus at least one from over East) have made some videos of the most interesting units.

Given the descriptive nature of most bus-nuts, searching "transperth rail replacement" should yield something, or "Horizons West Mercedes" (etc)
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/news/media-sta ... nefit-fans

To allow for the completion of stadium station a 17 day closure of the Armadale/Thornlie line will take place in early January during the school holidays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Spare a thought for commuters in Sydney who will have to face SIX MONTH shutdowns of rail services as some sections are converted from heavy rail to metro operation.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Lt. Commander Data

boronia wrote:Spare a thought for commuters in Sydney who will have to face SIX MONTH shutdowns of rail services as some sections are converted from heavy rail to metro operation.
That's nothing, we had a shutdown of 9months to electrify one of our lines. Except it took nearly a year in the end...
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

Yeah, but you had O305G's, SG280's, and more.

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
Lt. Commander Data

And now you have them (well, the O305/Gs at least).
simonl

Post by simonl »

Lt. Commander Data wrote:
boronia wrote:Spare a thought for commuters in Sydney who will have to face SIX MONTH shutdowns of rail services as some sections are converted from heavy rail to metro operation.
That's nothing, we had a shutdown of 9months to electrify one of our lines. Except it took nearly a year in the end...
I guess in all interstate cases it's not like there's a huge number of people using the lines. Even the Sydney one only gets around 4k pphd and most of these can just go around the other way.

Not 100% sure of the details of the Perth example though.
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Perth is fortunate in that it is highly unlikely there'll ever need to be Line shutdowns as long as those mentioned interstate. In fact, this 17 day closure is as far I know, the longest to ever be endured in recent times (10-15 years or so?).

The Armadale-Thornlie Line has about 32,000 boardings per weekday which is fairly low for a line running 8tph during the day. But it is a full line closure. Those 34 minute travel times from Perth to Armadale will be blowing out for sure though. Transperth's estimate is 76 minutes by replacement bus.
simonl

Post by simonl »

It also occurs in school holidays only when traffic is lighter and buses are less utilised.

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”