Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Perth and Peel@3.5million

Post by Mr OC Benz »

http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/publicati ... illion.asp
- ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 5PM ON FRIDAY 31 JULY 2015

Released 01 May 2015.

To create a dynamic, vibrant and liveable city into the 21st century, the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) has developed the draft Perth and Peel@3.5 million suite of documents that clearly spell out:

-where future homes and jobs should be located
-how we can protect important environmental assets
-how we can best utilise existing and proposed infrastructure and
-appropriate areas for greater infill development and residential density.

The suite consists of:

-the Perth and Peel@3.5million report that provides a snapshot of where we are now and where we might be in the future
-four draft sub-regional planning frameworks for
-Central
-North-West
-North-East
-South Metropolitan Peel

==========

I have included relevant transport related points for easy viewing and discussion. Other upcoming documents due to be released that will be of interest is the Central Area Transport Plan 2025 – details a 10-year transport strategy for the central metropolitan area and In Motion: A 20-Year Public Transport Plan for Perth and Peel.

reducing car dependency
– Perth has one of the highest car use rates in the world with more than three quarters of people travelling to work by car
– the cost of Perth’s congestion was estimated to be nearly $1 billion in 2009; by 2020, it could more than double to $2.1 billion
- delays in morning peak traffic increased to 45 seconds per kilometre in 2010 compared with 25 seconds a decade earlier.

Corridors:
For the Central sub-region, the high quality public transport network will form the basis for transitioning key transport corridors into multifunctional corridors that allow for efficient movement and high amenity. The corridors are outlined in Figure 10. It identifies corridors that should be the focus for investigating increased densities and a greater mix of suitable land uses. Most of these corridors already have high levels of service on weekdays, which as time goes on will continue to strengthen, as well as on weekends, evenings and nights.

From the Central sub-regional planning framework:
Draft Central sub-regional planning framework - part 2 wrote: Public Transport:
An essential criterion for urban consolidation in activity centres, station precincts and corridors is the level of public transport service, and the variety of destinations available. To this end, the framework will inform planning for the long-term quality public transport network, and consider the number of mode changes and further refine the frequency standards that combine to form quality public transport service. The frequency of the quality public transport service will be defined as either medium or high quality:

High-quality public transport routes will be planned to provide frequent reliable services, with targets such as minimum frequencies of every 10–15 minutes or better during peak and off-peak periods. Where possible, individual routes will be coordinated to provide maximum frequencies along common corridors and a number of planned corridors will have service levels similar to existing high-quality services in corridors such as Beaufort Street through Mount Lawley. In these instances optimal frequencies of at least five minutes during peak periods and regular frequencies of between five and 15 minutes at other times of day and on Saturdays and Sundays will be sought.

Medium-quality public transport routes should be served approximately every 15 minutes during the weekday interpeak period and more frequently during peak periods. Services should run every 15 minutes in the evening and at 15–30 minute intervals in the late evenings. On the weekends services should operate every 15–20 minutes on Saturdays and every 15-30 minutes on Sundays. Actual service levels would depend on demand at a particular point in time and would generally increase over time as demand increases.
From the NW sub-regional framework:
Public Transport Initiatives:
Transit priority routes
- Joondalup-Whitfords by-2025 (upgrade of existing Route 468)
- Whitfords-Hillarys-Warwick by-2025
- Alkimos-Eglinton by-2025
- Yanchep-Two Rocks post-2031
Passenger railway networks
- Extension of the railway from Butler to Yanchep post-2025
- Second rail option to be considered linking the North-East sub-region with the Central sub-region — options need to be further considered and refined by the Department of Transport and the Public Transport Authority and, where possible, utilise a shared infrastructure corridor to avoid environmental attributes. Post-2031. See here regarding a related thread about urban rail to Morley and beyond (East Wanneroo Line and Ellenbrook spur).

From the NE sub-regional framework:
Public transport infrastructure and services for the sub-region that are being investigated by the Department of Transport and Public Transport Authority include:
• Extension of the railway to Forrestfield via Perth Airport by-2020;
• a long-term extension of the proposed Forrestfield Airport Rail Link to connect to the Thornlie–Cockburn passenger railway by-2031;
• a potential second passenger rail line to service the North-West sub-region (traversing the south-western portion of the North-East sub-region, with a spur line to Ellenbrook) by-2031; and
• a transit priority service connecting the Ellenbrook secondary activity centre to the Bassendean Station (Midland Rail Line) and beyond to the Morley strategic metropolitan centre and to the proposed second passenger rail line. By-2025.

From the South Metropolitan Peel sub-regional framework:
Public Transport Initiatives:
Transit priority routes
- Rockingham-Henderson-Fremantle by-2025
- Murdoch-Maddington by-2025 (upgrade of existing Routes 204 and 205)
- Murdoch-Armadale by-2025 (upgrade of existing Route 519)
- Mandurah-Pinjarra by-2025 (upgrade of existing Route 600)
- Armadale-Cockburn-Fremantle by-2025
- Armadale–Byford–Mundijong (Armadale–Byford is possible passenger rail) by-2025 (upgrade of existing Routes 251, 252, 253 and 254)
- Rockingham-Kwinana-Fremantle by-2025 (upgrade of existing Route 920)
- Karnup (west)-Rockingham by-2025 (upgrade of existing Routes 558, 559 and 561)
- Dawesville-Mandurah by-2025 (upgrade of existing Routes 593 and 594)
- Rockingham-Baldivis post-2025
- West Pinjarra-Mandurah post-2031
Passenger railway networks
- Thornlie-Cockburn by-2025
- Armadale-Byford (possible transit priority route) post-2031
- Forrestfield-Thornlie post-2031
- Perth-West Pinjarra long-term
- West Pinjarra-Bunbury long-term
Shoudy Chen

Re: Perth and Peel@3.5million

Post by Shoudy Chen »

With the booming population here in Perth, I reckon that PTA will have to reconsider some plans for the next 40 years.

- Extend the train line from Armadale to Pinjarra
- Extend the train line from Midland to Ellenbrook
- Increased frequencies of Routes 36, 98, 99, 100, 101, 106, 107, 111, 204, 205, 210-212, 220, 279, 283, 297, 352, 381, 389, 402-403, 415, 421, 441-448, 450, 825, 870, 881, 885-889, 920, 940, 950, 955, 956, 990
- Introduce a bus service from Whitfords to Ellenbrook (may be operated by Swan or Transdev)
- Include a Transperth bus service in Oakford (Believe that there will be one from Kwinana-Byford)
- New train station at Singleton and South Perth (in order for many people wanting to visit Perth Zoo)
- Extension of the Joondalup line to Two Rocks (Withdrawal of the 490 bus route)
- Withdrawal of the 249 bus route (poor patronage)
- Resurrecting the Cockburn-Armadale bus service
- New Thornlie-Bull Creek and Thornlie-Cockburn, Scarborough-Warwick, Cannington-Perth Airport, Midland-Perth Airport
theenglishguy

Post by theenglishguy »

I think it is great that the Department of Planning are specifically highlighting that development should occur next to high frequency bus routes. It is amazing comparing the similarities between Figure 10 in the Central sub-region report with your public transport frequency map: http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... =7&t=79355.
I just really hope that the state government forces this on Local Governments and makes them reform their planning policies on these corridors. Currently certain councils (especially in the Western suburbs) are just too anti-development, even in areas with excellent public transport. All bus routes with a frequency of 15 minutes or greater should have high density housing adjacent to it - that would be proper, smart infill.
Shoudy Chen wrote:With the booming population here in Perth, I reckon that PTA will have to reconsider some plans for the next 40 years.

- Extend the train line from Armadale to Pinjarra
- Extend the train line from Midland to Ellenbrook
- Increased frequencies of Routes 36, 98, 99, 100, 101, 106, 107, 111, 204, 205, 210-212, 220, 279, 283, 297, 352, 381, 389, 402-403, 415, 421, 441-448, 450, 825, 870, 881, 885-889, 920, 940, 950, 955, 956, 990
- Introduce a bus service from Whitfords to Ellenbrook (may be operated by Swan or Transdev)
- Include a Transperth bus service in Oakford (Believe that there will be one from Kwinana-Byford)
- New train station at Singleton and South Perth (in order for many people wanting to visit Perth Zoo)
- Extension of the Joondalup line to Two Rocks (Withdrawal of the 490 bus route)
- Withdrawal of the 249 bus route (poor patronage)
- Resurrecting the Cockburn-Armadale bus service
- New Thornlie-Bull Creek and Thornlie-Cockburn, Scarborough-Warwick, Cannington-Perth Airport, Midland-Perth Airport
All of these ideas would be great, but I don't think many are really necessary. It is nearly 60km from Armadale to Pinjarra and there are very few people living here, the cost-benefit ratio would be very low. Same goes for railway line to Ellenbrook, but an improved bus service is definitely needed. New stations on the Mandurah line could definitely be viable though, especially at South Perth with all the new developments currently going ahead. It will be interesting to see how the PTA will manage the number of all stations vs. express services in the future.

The other increases in service frequency are probably not needed right now, except maybe at night and on weekends. Apart from at peak times (and on a couple of busy routes) it is pretty rare to have many people standing on buses. Really what is needed are improvements in infrastructure and bus priority. It would have been nice if the Perth and Peel@3.5million report had addressed this, but it is probably more of a Department of Transport/PTA issue. On routes like the 100, 106, 210-212, 950 and 990 the most people will be happy with the frequencies, but buses are held up by traffic and have to stop too often. Speeding them up is what would really make a difference. Hopefully this will be looked at in the future.
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Transperth needs to consider the following:
Greenwood Train Station is a very quiet station and may need some bus services to alleviate congestion. There are plans to include a Greenwood-Hillarys (Swan) and also the Greenwood-Kingsway Shop Centre (Transdev).
Whitfords Station is poor and needs bus services to Mirrabooka/Morley (Path).
The introduction of a bus route from Bull Creek to Murdoch via Bull Creek Dr and Benningfield Rd.
Instead of starting from Cockburn Station, 527 will start from Aubin Grove and terminate at Wandi.
New bus services from Oats St to Perth International Airport.
TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Perth and Peel@3.5million

Post by TP1462 »

Shoudy Chen wrote:Transperth needs to consider the following:
Greenwood Train Station is a very quiet station and may need some bus services to alleviate congestion. There are plans to include a Greenwood-Hillarys (Swan) and also the Greenwood-Kingsway Shop Centre (Transdev).
Whitfords Station is poor and needs bus services to Mirrabooka/Morley (Path).
The introduction of a bus route from Bull Creek to Murdoch via Bull Creek Dr and Benningfield Rd.
Instead of starting from Cockburn Station, 527 will start from Aubin Grove and terminate at Wandi.
New bus services from Oats St to Perth International Airport.
The PTA did trial two bus routes from Greenwood station both of which were unfortunately unsuccessful, the 451 which ran from Kingsway to Greenwood station was ran by swan, the other ran to Hillary's

A new station at Karnup would be warranted now as the land behind the Karnup national park is now being cleared and is zoned for housing with some houses already built
900 series

Post by 900 series »

Shoudy Chen wrote: The introduction of a bus route from Bull Creek to Murdoch via Bull Creek Dr and Benningfield Rd.
This used to be route 187 Murdoch to Booragoon (pre-Mandurah line) which was every hour on weekdays and every 2 hours on Saturdays. THen when the train opened it was changed to 506 and deleted west of Bull Creek, and downgraded to every 2 hours on weekdays and no service Saturday before being cancelled in 2009.

The big problem would be limited catchment (top half duplicates the high frequency 507, bottom half is sandwitched between 507 and HF CircleRoute and Ranford Road corridors). It seems to me the potential is mainly reduced to a welfare-type service e.g. retirement villages in north Bull Creek to Stockland Bull Creek and Murdoch
There have been some ideas for variations on it elsewhere on this board eg deviating via Camm Avenue and extending to Booragoon though
900 series

Post by 900 series »

Also if you look closely a South Perth station is included in the Central map above
Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

Assuming there will be a new By ford station which I think is already warranted now. Perfect opportunity to start getting feeders there. Oakford could definitely use a better service. Route 254 should already have a Sunday service in place which baffles me why it doesn't as covers more ground than 251 on a Sunday. Maybe even extend 254 on Sundays to clondyke and delete 251 on Sundays to cover the town
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
wayfarer
Favourite Vehicle: leyland worldmaster, HK monaro

Post by wayfarer »

I reckon there should be 3 different circle routes that come on line at night after normal services finish (say between 10:30 to 11:30) and run until they resume again ( say 4:30 am?) on weeknights and saturday nights. They all go through the city at some stage and have 1 covering southern suburbs, say going down canning highway to fremantle and then going up past phoenix plaza, possibly passing Yangebup, and then onto south st, past murdoch / fiona hardly standing hospital, and then back up the freeway to start again. another for northern suburbs, say up through and passing mirrabooka and morley stations, maybe up to wanneroo square and doubling back through main st , past glendalough and down harborne and taking cambridge st back to the city. Maybe the 3rd could be East Suburbs, up gt eastern highway passing entrance to airport to midland, and then maybe snaking back through reid highway and through Nollamara and onto wanneroo road back into the city again.

People might say this is Pie in the sky, But think about in melbourne, their are trains or trams running till about 3 am and then the normal services resume again at about 4:30, So maybe my routes need some more thought / revision, but I think it's doable. And a lot more realistic than a tram system down alexander drive whose services are lucky to see more than 5 on a bus after 9pm. Maybe one could service the ellenbrook area and start earlier than the others and fill in when all other services to the area cease. Charge a more substantial fare maybe, maybe by distance in kilometres travelled and not just standard zones. I think it's disgraceful that Perth just dies at 6pm and this could go some way to changing that.
As for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
Shoudy Chen

Post by Shoudy Chen »

Leyland B21 wrote:Assuming there will be a new Byford station which I think is already warranted now. Perfect opportunity to start getting feeders there. Oakford could definitely use a better service. Route 254 should already have a Sunday service in place which baffles me why it doesn't as covers more ground than 251 on a Sunday. Maybe even extend 254 on Sundays to clondyke and delete 251 on Sundays to cover the town
Although Oakford is classified as on the Rural Urban Fringe, it is currently expanding thanks to high traffic demand on the Thomas Rd. I reckon that they should run either Swan or SCT depending on their agreement between these two bus companies. Swan Gosnells or SCT Rockingham would negotiate together as to who should operate the route in Oakford. Perhaps a bus route running from Kwinana to Byford would be ideal for this route. The development in Byford is expanding and either Swan/SCT will decide on what routes they shall take.
The 252 bus route could extend as far to Serpentine. I'm not sure if its the case with Swan Transit, although there aren't any bus services there. Serpentine is used for Transwa Australind Services.
busdriver12
Favourite Vehicle: One that doesn't break down!

Post by busdriver12 »

Leyland B21 wrote:Assuming there will be a new By ford station which I think is already warranted now. Perfect opportunity to start getting feeders there. Oakford could definitely use a better service. Route 254 should already have a Sunday service in place which baffles me why it doesn't as covers more ground than 251 on a Sunday. Maybe even extend 254 on Sundays to clondyke and delete 251 on Sundays to cover the town
As a local, I can tell you the bus services in this area are not well patronised. Loadings are poor off peak and almost non-existent on the weekends. Going on the numbers the 254 carries on a Saturday, I cannot see a Sunday service getting up any time soon.
Phil

All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

With Stage 1 of the Stirling City Centre precinct in the pipeline with the expansion of Westfield Innaloo into a vibrant and attractive retail and entertainment destination, as part of this expansion, there are several upgrades proposed to the surrounding road network and public transport services including additional bus lanes, enhanced bus stops along Ellen Stirling Blvd (with improved shelter, bins, real time information etc). While the surrounding high frequency bus network is very good, bus stops and connectivity to the activity centre is quite poor. However even with the expansion of Westfield Innaloo, additional services will be required to support the expected modal share increase in public transport as a result of the improvements that will be delivered with this expansion.

With this in mind, expect the current Route 407 to be extended sometime in the near future to Stirling Station via Westfield Innaloo. This will help to cater for the increase in patronage with the extension of this high frequency bus service, but will also for the first time connect the Herdsman Business Park to Stirling Station (probably something that should've existed by now anyway!).

Not sure on timelines of introduction yet, but it is dependent on the timeline of development of Westfield Innaloo.

I have stuck this in this thread because it is a direct response to the expected development in the area (of which the transport component is related).
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Mr OC Benz wrote:With Stage 1 of the Stirling City Centre precinct in the pipeline with the expansion of Westfield Innaloo into a vibrant and attractive retail and entertainment destination, as part of this expansion
Will this actually happen? I remember Stirling been touted as a regional centre since the early '90s but there seems to have been little progress in the decades since. Will there be demand if there's other centres not far away? Even Canberra has effectively abandoned its transit-oriented town centre model and there's only so many government offices to go around.

The new IKEA is tantalisingly close to Stirling station yet the walk to it is indirect. The 98/99 connection seems effective but it's not the sort of transit supportive land use that would support increased station patronage.
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

As mentioned, it's the expansion and development of Westfield Innaloo. An expansion of over 50,000sqm to approximately 114,000sqm of retail, entertainment, residential, commercial and community space. Pending approval from City of Stirling and the North West Development Assessment Panel, it is expected to be under way in late 2016 with completion in early 2018. As mentioned, there is a residential component also although I believe this is subject to a different development application. There is a lot of development being focused on transport corridors, station precincts and activity centres now. There are also a couple of other mixed use developments near Stirling Station to be underway soon too.

Fancy placing a bulky goods car dependent place like IKEA literally next to the train station! Planning at its finest!!!
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

The expansion of Innaloo approved...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/290 ... -approved/

Meanwhile Karrinyup's expansion is hitting hurdles, citing traffic congestion and parking issues, the lack of residential development and their lack of commitment to funding improved bus services. Enhancements to the bus station and bus lanes were apart of it, however no improvements to the existing bus services in order to facilitate a significant modal shift to reach the target for public transport use to the centre. Improvements mentioned that would be required are enhancements to day time services on either the 423 or 425 to boost the frequency to support the centre expansion and a route which connects to the south/Scarborough where public transport access from Karrinyup is currently very poor. Whichever happens, one of the routes at least would need to be upgraded to operate every 15 minutes during the day.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/ ... ts-hurdle/
102 at 1625
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 102 at 1625 »

Mr OC Benz wrote:...their lack of commitment to funding improved bus services
Really? There's nothing about that in the article.

And is it really the shopping centre's responsibility to fund improved bus services?
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

It argued the redevelopment proposal as it stood posed a “real risk of a significant increase in congestion and a negative parking impact in the sub-region around the centre” in part because AMP had not committed to funding improved bus services.
All the details are in the DAP agenda (under DAPs on DoP website) for tomorrow. Recommended for refusal.

And yes theoretically if they are generating significant increases in traffic to the centre, then it should be their responsibility to ensure that the local transport network and infrastructure can handle the increase, which includes local road upgrades, footpaths, cycleways, bus lanes, extra bus services etc. It's the least they can do when they are making a load of profit from the development. In regards to improved bus services, the expectation is for the developer to contribute funding where it is deemed necessary that any such large scale development will necessitate an improvement to local bus services, either for meeting modal shift targets, a decrease in the parking ratio or to just generally ease the strain on the local road network from expected increased car use. This funding is only necessary to improve services during the active period of the centre though (i.e. any additional funding for night time services wouldn't be expected from the developer in this case).

But the failure to do so could have negative consequences - traffic congestion, parking issues, overcrowded bus services etc.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/ ... y-upgrade/

First pictures of what the proposed redeveloped Garden City will look like has been revealed
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

^^Keeping in mind that is just for the shopping centre precinct and development of the main street. However there are other developments (mixed use/residential) in the pipeline at the centre including a 13 and 15 storey tower on Davy St and numerous other small developments surrounding the centre. All of this combined is going to deliver a population boost, in the number of people living in the precinct and the number of people visiting during the day and night. All of which is going to require significant improvements to public transport in the area in the near future. Especially since at the moment, alot of the bus services are catering more for peak commuting hours towards the CBD, so there is an imbalance which is slowly being ironed out in other parts of Perth. Along with improvements to existing bus routes, blackspots of Attadale and Bicton need to be addressed as there is currently no direct access to the Melville City Centre. Well... access to these two suburbs is pretty poor full stop.
Mr OC Benz

Post by Mr OC Benz »

The draft Perth and Peel "Green Growth Plan" for 3.5 million is out for public comment now. A quick glance of the transport related documents reveals the following:

Outlines needs for 24 new/bigger bus depots: https://www.dpc.wa.gov.au/Consultation/ ... Depots.pdf

- New passenger rail infrastructure from south of Butler to Morley.
- New passenger rail infrastructure from Perth to Morley following parts of Charles St and Alexander Dr before continuing onwards to Morley (similar path to Walter Rd perhaps?).
- New passenger rail infrastructure from Bayswater to Forrestfield.
- New passenger rail infrastructure from Thornlie to Cockburn.
- New light rail infrastructure (MAX).

https://www.dpc.wa.gov.au/Consultation/ ... ments.aspx
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Future bus depots would be built apart of the rail reserve such as Jandakot, Alkimos & Yanchep would be all developed apart of the associated rail developments.
theenglishguy

Post by theenglishguy »

Pretty depressing read if I'm honest, more sprawl, more roads and not much imagination when it comes to future urban density and public transport.

A few additional points:

- MAX is shown as light rail. The route has also been cut back to QE2 and Victoria Park bus station. No links to UWA, East Victoria Park or Curtin.
- New northern suburbs subway runs very close to MAX. Surprising that it isn't near Beaufort Street
- New passenger rail from Morley to Clarkson. Will be in the middle of a new freeway. No integration with the urban enviornment and doesn't go through any important destinations
- Extension of the Midland line to the new hospital
- Extension of the Armadale line to Byford
- No busways are planned
- Possible passenger rail along the Kwinana Freeway to Baldivis and Pinjarra.

Hopefully this isn't anything like the final report. Perth could have an exciting future, but this proposal is just shocking. It's pretty scary that this is the best they can come up with.
They've opened it for public comment, but there is little chance that will change anything.
theenglishguy

Post by theenglishguy »

Central sub-region:

(note the shorter MAX route, new Northern railway, Airport line and Thornlie extension)

North-East sub-region:

(note Midland line extension and Ellenbrook line)

North-West sub-region:

(note Wanneroo-Clarkson railway and Butler line extension)

South Metropolitan Peel sub-region:

(note Armadale line extension and Thornlie extension)

Proposed depot locations:

102 at 1625
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 102 at 1625 »

A new public transport masterplan for Perth is being prepared according to the DoT. This will provide a framework for the expansion of Perth's public transport system to cater for a population of 3.5 million.

The last one stalled after the consultation, so we'll see how far this one goes...

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”