• Advertisement

Next generation railcars for Transperth

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Re: Next generation railcars for Transperth

Postby tonyp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 am

I note that they say "up to" four doors per car, so they apparently haven't fully decided on this.

At four doors, which is more typical of a metro rather than suburban train, it starts becoming a challenge to seating capacity. I'd say that it's only thanks to Perth's super-fast journey times that they could sustain an argument for such a high door ratio. At least the dwell times will be like lightning, but they could still get a good improvement out of three doors.

Next step along these lines should be fully low-floor buses with more doors for the busiest services!
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Next generation railcars for Transperth

Postby TP1462 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:24 am

tonyp wrote:I note that they say "up to" four doors per car, so they apparently haven't fully decided on this.

At four doors, which is more typical of a metro rather than suburban train, it starts becoming a challenge to seating capacity. I'd say that it's only thanks to Perth's super-fast journey times that they could sustain an argument for such a high door ratio. At least the dwell times will be like lightning, but they could still get a good improvement out of three doors.

Next step along these lines should be fully low-floor buses with more doors for the busiest services!

the 4 doors per carriage was something that was pointed out by the previous government before they deferred the project it seems as though the new labor government are just re-initiating the project and working with all planning that PTA has done thus far, seating capacity is really a non issue as part of the transport plan includes for automatic train control which will allow for trains to run closer together, the C series will be ideal for special events to and from the new stadium and the B series are due for a "midlife' refurb and apart of that plan includes to reconfigure the seating mainly for heritage line work and bench seating does seem to be preferred by PTA
TP1462

Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Perth / WA