Goodbye avonlink

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

Dennis96

Re: Goodbye avonlink

Post by Dennis96 »

Remember the passenger statistics for the Fremantle line when it was closed in 1979. Those used were suspect and didn't take into consideration passengers boarding on the Midland or Armadale lines or transferring from bus to rail. 30 seems low from what I have seen, more than a bus load alight when the morning service arrives from Northam. I have travelled as far as Cunderdin on several occasions and without doing head counts, the loading seems reasonable, although not as full as the Prospector has been when I have used it.
Passengers must not talk to Driver
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Not necessarily, don't forget that ATG (Buswest) already do the tendered service from Northam to Mukinbudin, Ravensthorpe to Albany and one other that I can't remember.
User 11872
Favourite Vehicle: Worldmaster-Leopard-Veyron

Post by User 11872 »

Good points mr OC Benz and paxinfo. I get tired of hearing the same old dramatics like "more pollution, accidents, congestion" bla bla. If it's not a good business case and is costing too much wtf is wrong with a coach? It's not as if they're being deprived a service full-stop. As for the liberal/labor rant - get over it...how immature and dated does that bollocks have to become? One final point - privatisation....ooh such a dirty word no matter what. Well, frankly the privates run a far more advanced and patron-friendly Transperth than the Govt ever did.
the c man

Post by the c man »

so does this mean that the avon link train will be repainted and branded the prospector train
azz419
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by azz419 »

Greetings all

I was informed today that other Transwa runs are going the way of the Avonlink. Most notably the Bunbury to Boyup Brook coach service that is contracted to Veolia. I would imagine that possibly the other contracted runs are perhaps going the same way. I feel sorry for those in Boyup Brook who now have NO public transport whatsoever, they will have to travel to Bridgetown to connect with services there.

Anyone out there know any further?
The opinions expressed by myself and those providing comments are mine and theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer or any employee thereof.
900 series

Post by 900 series »

Correct:

On-demand services:
Boxwood Hill to Bremer Bay
Hopetoun to Ravensthorpe
Quairading to Narembeen

Scheduled services
Albany to Ravensthorpe
Northam to Mukinbudin
Bunbury to Collie to Boyup Brook

Last services 27th December.

Apparently average load is less than 3 passengers per journey...

Source
900 series

Post by 900 series »

TransWa have got a survey going to determine the final route of the AvonLink Replacement coach service. Options are Toodyay-Northam-Midland and Northam-Toodyay-Midlad.

The page includes a draft timetable for each option
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

Thank God its back! Well for 6 months for now...
AvonLink services extended to end of 2013-14 financial year 03/12/2013
The AvonLink train service between Perth and Northam has been extended until the end of the financial year.
. . . Less

Earlier this year Transwa announced that the train would be replaced with a twice-daily coach service from the end of 2013.

A decision has been made to extend the train service for the remainder of the financial year.

Passengers who have booked journeys on the coach service (which was due to start in the New Year) will be able to use their tickets on the train instead.

The MerredinLink between Perth and Merredin will also be extended for 6 months to the end of the current financial year.

Passengers seeking clarification or information should call Transwa’s bookings line on 1300 662 205

Transwa will explore long term options with a proposal to be presented to Government for consideration next year.
http://www.pta.wa.gov.au/Default.aspx?id=1156&tabid=121
David10

Post by David10 »

With the end of the Financial Year approaching, has any decision been made on whether the AvonLink will continue post 30 June?
azz419

Post by azz419 »

who knows. if it isn't green and silver/white then nobody on this forum cares.
The opinions expressed by myself and those providing comments are mine and theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer or any employee thereof.
102 at 1625
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren Optimus

Post by 102 at 1625 »

Except me! If it's public transport, I'm interested.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

azz419 wrote:who knows. if it isn't green and silver/white then nobody on this forum cares.
Then why was the question asked?
Living in the Shire.
900 series

Post by 900 series »

David10 wrote:With the end of the Financial Year approaching, has any decision been made on whether the AvonLink will continue post 30 June?
Apparently its continuing for another 3 years
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

Thanks goodness for that! Hopefully they do address the issues and the service can became viable.
azz419

Post by azz419 »

Cat wrote:
David10 wrote:With the end of the Financial Year approaching, has any decision been made on whether the AvonLink will continue post 30 June?
Apparently its continuing for another 3 years

WOW! ummm, WOW, I am really pleased to hear this.

To justify my earlier cynical comment, is it just me or is this forum really quiet nowdays? There is certainly no less going on in the world of transport that we could all be discussing! Do not forget that there are some lofty eyes on these pages from time to time...

Aaron.
900 series

Post by 900 series »

From December the Avonlink will run an additional two return trips on Monday, Tuesday Thursday and Friday, and a weekend service, There will also be extra services for 10 special events a year. All funded by the Royalties for regions

Patronage will be monitored and reviewed after 18 months

Source

Wonder what this means if anything, for the Merredin Link?
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

Perhaps the MerredinLink would be absorbed into the Prospector timetable and/or be retained on Wednesdays as there is no planned additional services on the AvonLink on that day.
102 at 1625

Post by 102 at 1625 »

The new timetable is now available.

The existing Avonlink service has been kept without change, and two new Avonlink services will operate in each direction on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, as well as a new return daytime Saturday service, as announced about a month ago. Interestingly, the Saturday service is timed for residents of the Avon Valley, not Perth day trippers: the morning service is Northam-Perth and the afternoon service is Perth-Northam.

On the MerredinLink, Monday and Friday services have been cut.
102 at 1625

Post by 102 at 1625 »

For $60, Transwa passengers can now buy a SmartCommuter card, which entitles the cardholder to a 35% discount on all AvonLink and Australind train services (excluding special event services) for one calender year. This will replace Transwa MultiRider tickets, which will be no longer valid as of next year. A clever loyalty program, in my opinion.
laptop15

Post by laptop15 »

Very clever! So wonderful to see!!
102 at 1625

Post by 102 at 1625 »

From 1st December 2014, the Monday and Friday Prospector services that depart East Perth (bound for Kalgoorlie) at 7:10am, as well as the Monday and Friday services that depart Kalgoorlie (bound for East Perth) at 7:05am, will stop at all stations except Toodyay due to the withdrawal of Monday and Friday MerredinLink services, whereas previously, they stopped at only Northam between Midland and Merredin. Also, Prospector services will only stop at Toodyay on Sundays (when the AvonLink will not run).

Of course, all intermediate stops continue to be on request.

Source
102 at 1625

Post by 102 at 1625 »

From the 25th April 2015, the Saturday AvonLink service will go up to Toodyay and Northam in the morning, and return in the afternoon (rather than going down to Midland in the morning and back to Toodyay and Northam in the afternoon).

This makes sense if you ask me: this will allow Perth residents working "9-5" office jobs to visit the Avon Valley on Saturdays, rather than only serving a small number of Avon Valley residents wishing to take the train to Perth.

Source
900 series

Post by 900 series »

Article in the Toodyay Herald (bottom of page 3)
AVONLINK passenger numbers have jumped nearly 75 per cent in 14 months since the start of nine new weekly rail services from Perth to Toodyay. New figures released by WA’s Public Transport Authority show numbers rose from 404 Toodyay passenger boardings in December 2013 – when there were only five weekday services – to 714 in January this year.
102 at 1625

Post by 102 at 1625 »

The first special event Avonlink service runs this Sunday. I'd be interested to see what the patronage is like.
102 at 1625

Post by 102 at 1625 »

I wrote:From the 25th April 2015, the Saturday AvonLink service will go up to Toodyay and Northam in the morning, and return in the afternoon (rather than going down to Midland in the morning and back to Toodyay and Northam in the afternoon)...
And it's being swapped back again from 26th September.

Old Timetable
New Timetable (with a refreshed design!)

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”