Tonkin GAP MORLEY ELLENBROOK LINE (MEL)

Perth / Western Australia Transport Discussion

Moderators: perthbus, Mr OC Benz

TP1462
Favourite Vehicle: B7RLE, OC500LE, 0305, B10M.

Tonkin GAP MORLEY ELLENBROOK LINE (MEL)

Post by TP1462 »

Early tender advice is out by Main roads WA MRWA for the planned and highly anticipated upgrade of the Tonkin GAP and ongoing transformation of Perth’s second north-south freeway between Great eastern highway and Guildford road which will see the very initial stages of rail construction start on the Ellenbrook railway project, the alliance contract will give a good indication as to how the Ellenbrook spur line will be integrated into the Midland/Forrestfield lines

Brief Description of Works: The project scope is likely to include the following:

Guildford Road Interchange –Modifications to interchange and bridges over Railway Parade and Guildford Road

Swan River Crossing –Bridge(s) over Swan River, reconfiguration of existing Redcliffe Bridge and modifications to Great Eastern Highway interchange

Rail enabling works for Morley - Ellenbrook Line – Works within the adjacent Tonkin Highway to facilitate construction of the railway including structure(s)

https://www.tenders.wa.gov.au/watenders ... der-notice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TP1462

Re: Tonkin GAP MORLEY ELLENBROOK LINE (MEL)

Post by TP1462 »

https://youtu.be/bJHHtvzJqUw

The route for the Ellenbrook has been confirmed construction will start later this year at Bayswater station where the line will spur off into the Tonkin freeway median

New railway – 21km rail line from Ellenbrook to Bayswater Station.

Ellenbrook Station – will be in the town centre, south of The Parkway and west of Civic Terrace. It will support the area’s growth as a major activity centre, while making the most of the development opportunities nearby.

Whiteman Park Station – will be near the entry to Whiteman Park and will serve the growing communities of Henley Brook, Dayton, West Swan and Brabham.

Bennett Springs East Station – future proofing of the line will allow for a station to be built in this area as population levels increase and planning progresses in the area.

Malaga Station – will provide efficient transport links to Landsdale, Alexander Heights, Ballajura, Malaga and Bennett Springs, connecting thousands of people to the Malaga employment hub.

Noranda Station – will be built in the middle of Tonkin Highway at Benara Road. It will serve the communities of Noranda and Morley, as well as Beechboro, Kiara and Lockridge.

Morley Station – will also be built within Tonkin Highway, two kilometres south of Noranda Station. Connections to the Morley Galleria, surrounding businesses and community will be provided through high-frequency bus services.

Bayswater Station – the upgrade of Bayswater Station marks the start of the Morley-Ellenbrook Line with work starting in 2019. Two platforms (four platform faces) at this station will accommodate the Midland Line, Forrestfield-Airport Link and Morley- Ellenbrook Line services.

Estimated journey times
For passengers travelling from Ellenbrook to the CBD, the trip on the Morley-Ellenbrook Line will take about 30 minutes, almost half the current travel time for local residents using public transport. And connecting at Bayswater Station gives passengers from Perth’s north-eastern suburbs the choice of travelling to the Perth CBD, the Airport, Optus Stadium, Fremantle, Mandurah and more. The following is an estimate of the journey

https://www.metronet.wa.gov.au/Portals/ ... %20Map.PDF

https://www.metronet.wa.gov.au/Portals/ ... 0Sheet.pdf

https://www.metronet.wa.gov.au/Portals/ ... %20Map.PDF

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Few additional points trains will be terminating at Bayswater station passengers will have to transfer to a Midland/Forrestfield service to continue into Perth this is going to be extremely dysfunctional, the proposed Henley Brook station has been removed making the new park and ride facility basically redundant, planning does however include provision for a future station at Bennett Springs and an extension into Muchea, whilst the Ellenbrook railway is going ahead and that’s to be commended the route selection is cheap & nasty just so labor can tick a box

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

The tender has gone out for the Tonkin GAP project this includes the rough alignments for the 2 Tonkin freeway stations and Malaga Image

ImageImage

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Leyland B21
Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Post by Leyland B21 »

Already posted in this thread above. Same videoImage

Regards,
Jase

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

A community consultation process is underway for the best parking options at Noranda station

IImageImageImageImage

https://www.mysaytransport.wa.gov.au/mo ... brook-line
hack404

Post by hack404 »

TP1462 wrote:Few additional points trains will be terminating at Bayswater station passengers will have to transfer to a Midland/Forrestfield service to continue into Perth this is going to be extremely dysfunctional, the proposed Henley Brook station has been removed making the new park and ride facility basically redundant, planning does however include provision for a future station at Bennett Springs and an extension into Muchea, whilst the Ellenbrook railway is going ahead and that’s to be commended the route selection is cheap & nasty just so labor can tick a box

Seems like they're hedging their bets.
Metronet wrote:
Will passengers on the Morley-Ellenbrook Line have to transfer at Bayswater Station to continue onto Perth?

Making public transport as easy and seamless as possible for passengers is a priority for the rail planning team. This is at the forefront of the operational planning for the Morley-Ellenbrook Line. However the complex track layout at Bayswater Station and the signalling and line capacity between Bayswater and Perth stations must also be considered in more detail during this planning phase. Final details of how the Morley-Ellenbrook Line will operate will be known after the project definition phase
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Today’s industry briefing from PTA & Minister Saffioti ImageImageImageImageImageprobably the last for the year has provided updates to a number of Metronet projects mainly the Morley Ellenbrook line

*The rail component for the Davis road (Denny Ave) crossing will be announced this month probably over the weekend, the respective winning bidders for the Davis road component along with the Mandurah station car park & Bayswater Junction will be announced in Feb

https://www.metronet.wa.gov.au/Portals/ ... tation.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Metronet has released a number of new PDFs regarding Bayswater station and the rail infrastructure including a diagram on how the connection to the MEL will operate

Rail infrastructure

Traffic planning

Updated project fact sheet

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Judging from the diagram Midland & Forrestfield trains will use the siding to crossover to access P1 & P2, Ellenbrook trains will terminate on P3 clear into what was the main line now siding then return to P4 and won’t run to the city the connection to the siding will only be used to swap out trains as needed on the Ellenbrook line

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

The way the infrastructure diagram is illustrated makes it look as though Midland-line services will be run on a small amount of single track to access their platforms. I really hope that's just an oversight in their illustrations.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:The way the infrastructure diagram is illustrated makes it look as though Midland-line services will be run on a small amount of single track to access their platforms. I really hope that's just an oversight in their illustrations.
Not an oversight, Midland & Forrestfield trains from Perth will use the siding to crossover into P2 which prohibits Ellenbrook trains from running to the city, the down main from P1 into Perth isn’t affected additional infrastructure such as crossovers and the rail flyover will be built before the tunnel portals that connect the Midland line to the airport line

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

PTA has gone out to tender to develop a business case for the signalling and platform extensions upgrade on the inner Armadale & Midland lines 15TPH or every 4 mins

The Rail Growth Plan (RGP) is the Public Transport Authority (PTA)’s long term planning for growth of Perth’s metropolitan passenger rail network. The RGP identifies the requirement for a number of initiatives and projects, one of which is the Platform and Signalling Upgrade Program (PSUP), which includes:

upgrades to the current signalling system to enable more frequent services (15 trains per hour or every 4 minutes in the peak); and
extensions to the platforms at ‘heritage line’ stations to allow operation of longer 6-car trains.
Development of a business case in accordance with WA Treasury Strategic Asset Management Framework (SAMF) and Infrastructure Australia (IA) Assessment Framework, to seek endorsement of an investment decision is underway. 

https://www.tenders.wa.gov.au/watenders ... pen-tender

Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

I can't help but wonder if we should also be starting to think about track amplification on these specific lines?

For instance, if the Armadale line is electrified further south (and/or) the Australind sees more frequent service, they're going to be needing the room for services running semi-express to reach their ultimate destination. Perhaps newer rolling stock operating on the heritage lines, in conjunction with grade separation might run quickly enough (on average) to negate the need for express trips? I'm not sure.
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:I can't help but wonder if we should also be starting to think about track amplification on these specific lines?

For instance, if the Armadale line is electrified further south (and/or) the Australind sees more frequent service, they're going to be needing the room for services running semi-express to reach their ultimate destination. Perhaps newer rolling stock operating on the heritage lines, in conjunction with grade separation might run quickly enough (on average) to negate the need for express trips? I'm not sure.
The Armadale/Thornlie line can handle the additional capacity without grade separation as far as I’m aware Perth- Claremont was upgraded as part of the old Football shuttle to Subi, PTA are in active community consultation over the proposed closure of Caledonian Ave that one has been essentially thrown in the too hard basket. The 6 inner Armadale line crossings will be removed this will free up capacity and reduced congestion especially in Welshpool it’s taking a little longer due to the long overdue grade separation of leach &
Welshpool and the new leach highway bridge that’s being included in the optioneering assessments. The Byford extension is still in the early planning stages the city of Armadale had early concept plans out last year as part of the city centre redevelopment that includes a trench from a grade separated road over rail interchange at Armadale road then would resurface just south of Church Ave obviously a new Armadale station would be built with a multi story car park and new bus interchange, 6car Bs & Cs will be able to run system wide once all the grade separation and platform extension work is done it’ll be a mix of 3 & 4cars then upgraded to 4 & 6cars the rough timeframe for inner Armadale is 2024, outer Armadale 2027, inner Midland 2024 outer Midland 2035 and that’s the entire Fremantle line inclusive

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Forgot to mention the metronet taskforce is still looking at a suitable location for the proposed Byford station they’re tossing up between Thomas road & Abernethy road a provision stations at Wungong, Cardup siding road (Lakelands) and a terminus at Mundijong is included in the planning and engineering studies

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

https://youtu.be/NuEqNzrMU1I

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Seems as though Ellenbrook trains won’t run be running the 10 minute peak and 15 minute off peak frequency until at least 2031

Merc1107

Post by Merc1107 »

Now doesn't that suggest the whole line is a waste of time? Services potentially poorer than existing bus service for nearly the first decade!?
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

Merc1107 wrote:Now doesn't that suggest the whole line is a waste of time? Services potentially poorer than existing bus service for nearly the first decade!?
They haven’t even released the PDP yet based on the information provided by the Infrastructure Australia report one could make the assertion that trains will run every 20 minutes peak and every 40 minute off peak or 15 minutes in peak and every 20-30 minutes off peak nothing against the MEL it’s turned into a rushed political box ticking exercise and if trains do terminate at Bayswater which is extremely likely it’s going to increase the push for a Morley tunnel what’s the point if services are going to be less frequent than the existing bus service the signalling upgrade has a higher benefit to cost ratio than the Ellenbrook railway

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

https://youtu.be/q7PSdUcskf8

TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

The PDP summary has been uploaded to the metronet website. Ellenbrook trains will run through to Perth then terminate at Daglish. The show express would have been to be withdrawn in the future and timings will be very tight during football
Attachments
13C16E57-5CAB-483B-9402-8066ED716AC0.jpeg
TP1462

Post by TP1462 »

In order to achieve the 15TPH goal Fremantle/Midland & Forrestfield will have their service reduced to every 12 minutes this will see stations east of Bayswater have an additional 2 minute wait and same with west of Claremont this will see trains run every 3 minutes between Daglish & Bayswater & every 6 minutes between Daglish & Claremont, hopefully logic prevails and trains do run in service to Daglish the dead running seems wasteful

Return to “Discussion - Perth / WA”