Parking my bus for some time

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
ivybelle

Parking my bus for some time

Post by ivybelle »

Hi all

I would gratefully appreciate some advice re parking my bus/motorhome for 1-2 years.

I am living in the bus, and envisage staying in the one spot for up to two more years. Then, when this job finishes up, I'll be free to move on.

The bus drives fine - no current problems that I'm aware of. It is a 1983 Leyland Super Viking.

What are the key things that I need to do to keep the engine and other mechanics (and other things I've not even thought of) in good condition while the bus is parked?

thanks for your advice,
Ivy
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Parking my bus for some time

Post by boronia »

Some things I would suggest:

1. if you are not going to move it at all, put it up on blocks so the tyres are off the ground. Sitting in the one place, the tyres could get flat spots.

2. Flush out the cooling system, and put good fresh inhibitor in it.

3. Start it up once per month and run the engine for about 15 minutes to circulate fresh oil through the block, and fuel through the injection system. If it is off the ground "drive" it through the gear box.

4. With full air pressure, run the foot and park brakes (assuming maxi parking brake) through a few cycles to prevent sticking. If it has a mechanical park brake, leave it in the off position while parked.

5. Keep the batteries fully charged. "Intelligent" chargers can be left on indefinitely,

6. Try not to park it over areas that will retain moisture e.g. grass, dirt
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
ivybelle

Post by ivybelle »

Thank you boronia, much appreciated.

I hope this doesn't sound too silly - please reassure me, if the bus is chocked up so the tyres are off the ground... if there is high wind, is there any chance that the bus will tip over? ie, do I need to anchor the bus with tarp or ropes, or other such things? What's your advice?
bagmaker

Post by bagmaker »

It will be fine :D
Not needed entirely off the ground, the wheels should still touch the ground but not the full weight of them.
Jack it up until a wheel comes off then lower back down onto stout timbers, about half of the height you jacked.
Keep an eye out for ants, vermin, etc, any signs and launch a counter-attack immediately or they will take your home as their own
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I'd buy some suitable axle stands to hold the bus up. Put packing under these stands to spread the weight out, esp if it is on softer ground. The less weight on the tyres the better; there is no risk of it being blown over. Having wheels off the ground does allow you to "drive " it as in my point 3.

If you use timber struts, put some of that heavy black builders polythene under it - that will stop insects getting into it.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
menimerc

Post by menimerc »

How did you go? I am about to problem solve a long term parking solution for about a year while i convert my bus, what kind of axle stands did you find? are they affordable? I guess ill also need a heavy duty jack.....
qbb469

Post by qbb469 »

Start the bus and cycle the air once a week not month. Otherwise you'll find air valves will stick.

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”