Cheap bus

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
Barfly

Cheap bus

Post by Barfly »

I got hold of a bus for $500 so I'm going to do a bit of a conversion (Nothing to fancy)
The engine runs like a dream but its having trouble dropping out of gear and the front airbags wont go up, but for $500 I didnt expect much.

In all her glory lol.

How it looks now after sitting on a farm for 7 years.

The start.

Can someone tell me what these buttons are for?

Whats this one??

Cheers Max.
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Re: Cheap bus

Post by Doc68 »

Left black face is engine oil pressure Centre coloured is transmission oil temp
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
Barfly

Post by Barfly »

Anyone know what the 9 switches across the top do and what does that red oil trans button do, push it in and it flashes.

Cheers Max.
Mr Scania
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by Mr Scania »

You didnt do too bad for $500.00.
Free Lance
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305, m/o 3021

Post by Free Lance »

back in 80's those would have been all light switches in a NSW govie, saloon lights (2), door entry, desto, possibly dash light override, even demister & drivers fan,
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

I believe that flashing red button is actually for the hazard lights... The oil trans (transmission oil) label refers to the gauge above it. No idea what the other buttons do, sorry...
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

Make sure you don't have a "kneel" function on the front bags, it is a system where the air is dropped from the front bags for passengers to get off and on, hit the switch and bags fill again, I was caught in an embarrassing way by this !

You will have to look under there and trace the hoses going to the front bags, they will meet at a box that will have some wires going to it, that will be the vallve.
OR, just try all the switches with air up and see if they fill, but give it a bit of time, it is not instantaneous.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

There's no kneel function.

Buttons L-R are:
1. nothing
2. retarder - most (all?) were re-wired making this switch obsolete
3. nothing

4. destination box lights
5. saloon lights
6. nothing

7. wipers fast (requires 8 to be on too)
8. wipers
9. windscreen washer

Gears dropping out: make sure the key is fully depressed
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Simes »

You can replace those switch banks with ones made by SWF, the STA over here would fit them when those switches went u/s
http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
Littledragon

Post by Littledragon »

rustbucket wrote:Make sure you don't have a "kneel" function on the front bags, it is a system where the air is dropped from the front bags for passengers to get off and on, hit the switch and bags fill again, I was caught in an embarrassing way by this !

You will have to look under there and trace the hoses going to the front bags, they will meet at a box that will have some wires going to it, that will be the vallve.
OR, just try all the switches with air up and see if they fill, but give it a bit of time, it is not instantaneous.
Hi there,

We've just bought a Merc O305 and it does appear to have the kneel function, which is throwing the line of the bus out while we're fitting it out as a motor home. Is there a way that we can disable this function even when the bus is turned off? I don't want to have to fit it out with the engine running all of the time. My apologies if this is a dumb question, we're feeling our way along here :)
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

When the air is completely gone from the system the body should be sitting on the bump stops, if it is still down at the front you will have to block it up to get it level. Or check the bump stops are still intact.
You really need to get it level in 2 directions, it makes all your building work so much easier, having said tat sometimes they are all over the place so a comromise is needed.
Rustbucket.
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

And NO no question is too dumb when you are starting on one of these conversions, there is a wealth of knowledge available, especially here, so it is crazy not to avail yourself of it.
Rb

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”