Lithium Batteries for our Conversions

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
Toolman
Favourite Vehicle: Denning

Lithium Batteries for our Conversions

Post by Toolman »

I thought that I would start a post about Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries that I have discovered thanks to Rustbucket
These things seem to be a nobrainer for a deep cycle pack as they are now very affordable and have a fantastic cycle life. eg 70% DOD >7000 times
I am now thinking of replacing my start batteries with lithium as that would keep all batteries the same chemistry but am not sure how they would go
I am keeping my over the road air-con which means my DC50 alternator will stay as standard and I intend to link to my house batteries with 500amp smart relay
also have a new spare 24v 100amp alternator that I might mount up so as to charge my house pack while the OTR air is on
Will also have 1000 - 1200 watts of solar panels on top
These lithium packs seem to be able to handle as much charge as you can put into them

Kevin
rustbucket

Re: Lithium Batteries for our Conversions

Post by rustbucket »

Kevin,
As I have said before, the most important thing about these batteries is to educate yourself about them, or you could have an expensive mistake.
I could easily afford to go Liths for cranks as well but I have not, you are far better using La's for cranks and not having to invest in any cell monitoring.
It all seems pretty daunting at first but once you get your head around it, it makes perfect sense and you will understand why it is better to have the two types.
It has been done, I just don't think the extra monitoring required is worth the hassle.
Beware the resellers that insist on using their expensive monitoring systems or no warranty, it ain't necessary.
Cheers
rustbucket
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

This turned up today:

8 x 400 ahr Wistone cells to make a 24volt pack
I now have to make a cradle for them

Kevin
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

Looking good Kevin,
Who did you end up purchasing from ?
rustbucket
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

EV works in Perth
I am building my battery cradle today, photos soon

Kevin
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

Done!

The pack of 8 cells fit in here;
The front bolts on and holds the pack in compression ,I think that it should work well

Kevin

rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

Kevin,
They bulge from the middle, this cradle will let them bulge straight out, the first time you have any overcharge accident. You need a substantial plate at either end like 6mm ally as a minimum. The force they can exert is amazing, and once you have lost that capacity it ain't coming back !
Rustbucket
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

I have a piece of ply on each end to hold them firm
My plan is not to overcharge them so that they dont swell,well that is the plan! :lol:
From what I have seen a bad overcharge and not much is going to hold them

Kevin
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

This is how they look in what was the downstairs toilet, now my utility room.

Kevin.
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

How you gunna shut the combi down from charging when batts are full or cell imbalance occurs ?

Rustbucket
Toolman

Post by Toolman »

I intend to run a couple of celllog 8s for alarms and a ZEVA BM as a HV cutoff through my Bluesea battery switch.
I have both my alternators set to 27.6v and intend to set the combi the same and program the float as low as I can so as not to provide any charge
I see no way to keep the combi charge and load on a separate buss unless you know of one.
My house and start banks will be linked with a ACR and that should help as a charge sink
The electrician is coming today to hook up the AC, he is a boat sparky and reckons that a bus is just a boat on wheels!
I then have to mount my DC fuse and switchgear which will fill up that small area.
That room has 2 thermo fans in the front which will pump up to 900cfm and exhaust out through the slot you can see in the rear

Kevin

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”