Air-conditioning

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
404wanderer
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305

Air-conditioning

Post by 404wanderer »

Hi all,

My O305 has air conditioning running through the vehicle with ducts as shown in the attached picture. What are people's thoughts on whether I should leave these, remove them, add additional roof mount air conditioners ducted into these, walk around with a damp flannel on my head?
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1376659908.242264.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1376659908.242264.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
funbus
Favourite Vehicle: man sl200 mkI

Re: Air-conditioning

Post by funbus »

looks more like jet air, rather than air cond. If there isn't a big unit on top of the roof, then it will be the skinny long slim looking boxes which would make that jet air, that just flows through from the outside of the bus while you are moving... :wink:
"Its only a bus if it smells like diesel!" Electric buses might aswell be trams!!**
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

That photo looks decidedly like an Adelaide O305 (ex-O-Bahn).
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

If your thinking of adding the likes of the Dometic roof top a/c's then I would forget it. They are nothing but trouble going on the motor home forums and plain inefficient. Fit a normal house split system unit, one up front the other down the back then you can control them independently.

Dirk
404wanderer
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305

Post by 404wanderer »

The Phonj wrote:That photo looks decidedly like an Adelaide O305 (ex-O-Bahn).
Certainly is :-)

There is a huge a/c unit on top of the bus. Does anybody know offhand whether it requires the engine to be running to work or whether I can run it off a 24V supply by itself?
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

Nope you will have a big mother of a compressor driven off the engine somewhere. Pretty bloody useless. Junk it all and fit a couple of splits as Dirk has said, you have enough real estate for a good solar system, we have 2000 watts on ours.
wes
Favourite Vehicle: Alfa Romeo GTV

Post by wes »

rustbucket wrote:Nope you will have a big mother of a compressor driven off the engine somewhere. Pretty bloody useless. Junk it all and fit a couple of splits as Dirk has said, you have enough real estate for a good solar system, we have 2000 watts on ours.
Depending on model of A/C it will most likely be a carrier recip compressor.Dont forget to get the refrigerant recovered by a air cond tech before removing unit.

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”