Bus Conversion

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.
Wheel Education

Bus Conversion

Post by Wheel Education »

Hi all!

I'm a newbie here, been lurking and reading for years, but finally taking the plunge and coming out of the woodwork to ask questions!

Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience in doing up specific busses to motorhomes. In particular the Hino BX341, Leyland Tiger, Merc 0305 and Volvo B10M.

Haven't bought our bus yet, but seriously looking.

Cheers,
Mike
ax8

Re: Bus Conversion

Post by ax8 »

My pick would be Volvo B10M MK2 or 3 not a mk1.
Croc

Post by Croc »

I'm not familiar with that particolar Hino but have driven the others. I agree the B10M would be my pick.

Have you considered starting with a coach or school bus rather than a track bus? Track buses are generally geared low to start off quickly but with a low top speed. A coach will be slower off the line but will be geared to cruise economically at 100k and more likely to be manual giving you more control when you need it on downward climbs, etc. A coach will have luggage bins underneath in addition to a similar amount of internal space inside and the interior space is set up higher and harder for theives and curious eyes to see into. They will typically have a hinged front door that has a house type lock on it tha cna be easily set in neutral and then locked. You would be better off without the double glass concertina type doors from a track bus. You may also find use for the urn, toilet, DVD/TV and lay back seats, UHF radio that would often already be fitted.

Lot of people start a bus conversion and after their wife says: 'You want me to go where in what?' many of these projects are left unfinished or are available after a single trip round ozzy. So have a look at used before you start investing in a conversion.

Unless you are planning to leave the thing on one place and use it as a house I think it is also well worth considering something the size of a coaster or even a Kombi. If the plan is to do lots of driving this may prove to be the happier option. A smaller vehicle lets you fins out when you wonder 'whats down that road?' or 'lets have a look at that lighthouse' whereas a bigger truck might restrict you to the highways (which if you've been in this caper are the bits you've already seen)

Good Luck
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

Really good interesting site here that might get you underway or make you have second thoughts. A big project but I have loved the challenge, wife doesn't exactly share the enthusiasm but is coming around as it is nearing completion. My bus is in here along with quite a few other like minded nut cases.... http://www.motorhomeconversion.com.au/

There are quite a few other project busses on the net, (Mammoth Motor Home Build. Hobo Motor Home) to name a few. Mostly coach conversions and most planing for the long term travel but worth a look for ideas.

Happy to talk or share the experience if you want.

Dirk
Aussiebus

Post by Aussiebus »

Later Hino's are good, Mercs and leylands of that era can cost heaps to repair, have a look at a denning or ultimately the Austral Tourmaster . Even though the dennings and tourmasters may cost a bit more, they are designed for australian conditions and may be better if you are considering a trip or two around aussie

Cheers

Les
Yarloop WA
Croc

Post by Croc »

I agree with AussieBus. Austral Tourmasters and Denning Landseers were the mainstay of the express fleet operators back in the day and are nice to drive You will get used to the crash box and they are tough enough for you to learn on the go. They may be heavier on jiuce than some later stuff but are strong and simple and there are some really good ones around that have been forced o retire only becuase of their age or maybe the need to fit a full set of seatbelt equipped seats.
Wheel Education

Post by Wheel Education »

Thanks for all the input everybody. Just purchased a 1987 Leyland Tiger. Had the right features for us and in our price range,and very nice to drive. Parts still available too, so should not be a problem.
Dennings and Tourmasters look good, but didnt want a mortgage to buy one!
This is our second bus project-other one was a 1978 volvo b58 which we had for four years and was never fussed on it-sold in March this year.
The Tiger will be fitted out for our family for full time living on the road.
Already started fitout and we are excited!
Thanks again to all those that replied!
Let the fun begin!!
Croc

Post by Croc »

I have driven a Leylad with the epicyclic box and it went well.

It'd be nice to see some pix of your project as you progress and also out on the road so hat we can see it was all worth while.

Thanks for the update
Aussiebus

Post by Aussiebus »

Thats excellent, hope to meet you on the road sometime

Cheers

Les
Yarloop WA
:D
washaway

Post by washaway »

I have an 84 BX341...my first project...many mistakes, but lots of fun and i live in it full time..A great drive.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Return to “Bus to motorhome discussions”