• Advertisement

What to pay???

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.

What to pay???

Postby Cary » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:47 pm

Looking through the hundreds of coaches for sale, and I'm a tad lost.... :)

Looking for a denning landseer/denair coach. Denair's go from about $10k to $100k+ depending on fitout level. Landseer's from $20k-$250k+.

What range should I expect to pay for a decent standard one? We plan on doing all the fitout our self. Not scared on doing some outside rust/paint work. Been in the auto smash and restoration industry for almost 15 years.

Battery is almost flat so I will ask more when I get home...

Cheers
Cary. :)
Cary

Re: What to pay???

Postby boronia » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:51 pm

What is "standard" ? Everyone of these is different. You could compare with the cost of a brand new factory built unit, and then depreciate off the value of the chassis you want to use.

How much market is there for used motorhomes? Why are so many people staring conversions from scratch when there are so many "pre-loved" units around?

I'm no expert on prices but the general impression I get is that they are probably only worth about 50-60% of what the owners are asking. It's a bit like old cars, you can buy one for, say, $5000, spend $10-15K doing it up, but might only be worth $10K when you've finished.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Cary » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:01 pm

"Standard" as in a standard coach. Not converted or anything.

The reason there are so many I think is partly cost, partly personal needs. Everyone is different so needs different thins in a motorhome.

Personally I want to fit it out myself due to the cost saving, and I can put things where I want them.

Main thing is I see things like landseer a for $25k. Stock coach's full of seats. Just came out of service, looks like in decent road worthy condition. Or denair's for $19k standard coach full of seats, that are clearly full of rust, haven't been on the road for years.

Is the landseer good value or the denair over priced?
Cary

Postby kelvin12 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:06 am

Depends on how much you want to change or modify the bus. Rust isn't a problem if you want to add slide outs and acrylic type windows and possibly reframe. But if you are going with the original frame then yep rust is a problem if its extensive. I am an Austral owner myself but a friend is a fanatical Landseer owner and swears by them and they are the better deal than the Denair. Landseer has a stronger chassis in case you want to do slides. Doing car restoration you know how rust can be under the panels. What you see is minute to what's under the skin.

Dirk
kelvin12

Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Postby Darwin Lindsay » Sun May 18, 2014 7:17 pm

Do it, Buy the rusty one if there is no problem with the Chassis and running gear, But screw them down on the price
I just bought a 71/2 GBW number 24, the old girl has some cancer in the bin doors which I'm working on now.
If you can do most or at least some of the work youself, you will appreciate what yoou have even more

Darwin Lindsay
Darwin Lindsay

Postby marashkar » Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 pm

Carey my 2cents worth unless you buy it with the skins off you have no idea what you are buying be prepared for heartache and pain. Our landseer was reskined when it was converted so I was pretty sure it would be alright. The right hand side has just been off it again and some nervous moments when it was coming off but thankfully it was still ok. To build and convert is a massive job but if you have the time patience and a big bucket of money i say go for it steve
marashkar

Postby rustbucket » Tue May 20, 2014 8:30 am

Just be aware what you are getting into.
I bought my Tourmaster for 10k, interior stripped so I could see the rust (I thought)
Thank god thats all we paid, we ended up cutting it off at the floor, even had to unpick the 50 x 50 rhs over the bins doors and replace
It has taken 3 1/2 years and a BIG bucket of money but now we have a registered coach that has been valued (professionally) just under 200K.
Unless you have stubborness to the point of stupidity, and the bucket of money, you will join the ranks trying to sell abandonded projects
One of those may well be a better place to start.
Rustbucket
(because I bought a Tourmaster)
rustbucket

Postby Cary » Thu May 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, haven't been on here in a little while. :)

Steve, as you say, unless you get one with the skins off you don't know what you are really getting. I have had a look at a few over the last year or so that look good from the outside, but not knowing what's underneath has turned me off a few.

Rustbucket, I have followed your build over the last couple of years and seen exactly what you guys have done to it, great work and well done on getting it finished. I think I'm 50/50 on why I want one, 50% to have a massive toy to play with/build/tinker etc and the other 50% to actually use it as a motorhome and see more of this great county. It will never be 100% finished and there will always be something still to do or change or modify.

I am pretty sure I know where I stand it what I would be happy to pay, $8-12k for a sad run down but usable coach , to $15-$25k for a decent just out of service able to take straight on the road coach(denair, landseer, tourmaster etc)

Am I close?

Thanks again,
Cary :)
Cary

• Advertisement

Return to Bus to motorhome discussions