• Advertisement

bci coach

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.

bci coach

Postby volvob9r » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm

hey
looking at a 2008 bci coach for a motorhome any know what these are lik
good and bad points etc
any info will help
thanks
volvob9r

Favourite Vehicle: 2009 Mercedes Benz OH1830L

Re: bci coach

Postby boronia » Sat May 18, 2013 2:57 pm

You probably can't do a search for BCI here to read past comments, so just to summarise

Good Points: (haven't seen any)

Bad points: too many to mention, but a 2008 model is probably life expired by now.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Punchbowl Tiger Cub » Sun May 19, 2013 5:35 pm

Evening Volvo B9R,
As Boronia has correctly stated,I can back up what he says from personal experience working with this brand - pick something else as you will regret if you buy.

Basically you pay for what you get - better off shopping around and do your homework.Currently it is a buyer's market and you can get some absolute bargains with genuine service history,not too many kilometres and ease of obtaining chassis and body parts well into the future as against this brand.

Honestly you could do a lot worse than talking to a genuine dealer such as Omnibus Sales at Glendenning in Sydney and tell them what you are looking for,dollars you prepared to pay and costs to get your project on it's way.

Kind Regards Punchbowl Tiger Cub
Punchbowl Bus and Coach - celebrating over 60 years community commitment through a family owned and operated business and it's heritage of Deluxe,Narwee and GP Bus Companies.
Punchbowl Tiger Cub

Postby Sahara53 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Let me support these comments provided by Boronia and Punchbowl - DON'T, DON'T, DON'T. There are so many comments provided here that would certainly turn you off. Only on Friday night the one unit in my work fleet had a headlight not working and a quick tap on the lamp (and I mean only a light tap) saw the lamp pushed out of its fitting requiring some rapid repair work! Such things appear to be common with this brand. I say again - DON'T, DON'T, DON'T
Sahara53

Favourite Vehicle: Austral Tourmaster

Postby dominodc122 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 am

These things were never that flash (even from years ago) there does not appear to be too much in the way of Quality control and they have a tendency to "rattle' themselves to death. Per previous comments, you are better off talking to a current or ex mechanic, who can give you the ins and outs of various coach types and their good and bad points. I would suggest the first thing you would need to do is to identify what exactly it is you wish to do with the unit and how often and how far you will be travelling with it - this will give you the start point and then look at the specifics of running costs, maintenance costs, (all) parts availability etc etc.

Happy touring :D
dominodc122

Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Postby ozbuses » Mon May 20, 2013 10:20 am

Contact BBL workshops. They have a dozen+ over there. They will give you an accurate opinion.
ozbuses

Postby Punchbowl Tiger Cub » Mon May 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Just to add that I have just come off a contract with the operator of Australia' largest fleet of this brand involving fleet maintenance.

This fleet is immaculately maintained but still has everyday problems with not only reliability,spares supply and core issues that have never been resolved - just patched up under warranty with no long term fix.

By all means seek advice and ask various operator and maintenance people but all I can say is 'You get what you pay for'
Punchbowl Bus and Coach - celebrating over 60 years community commitment through a family owned and operated business and it's heritage of Deluxe,Narwee and GP Bus Companies.
Punchbowl Tiger Cub

Postby Bedford-29 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:28 pm

If you are thinking Asian think Japanese like a Hino,Isuzu these would be a lot more reliable then a BCI.Or you can go European Scania,Volvo and Mercedes it is what you want spend price wise.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Bedford-29

Postby dominodc122 » Wed May 22, 2013 8:18 pm

Well said Bedford29 - Good advice!
dominodc122

Favourite Vehicle: Anything with a Detroit

Postby george owens » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:09 am

Drove a couple of bci coaches for a bus line in cairns,aircon was woeful,customers complained.the best thing about them was the cummins engines fitted.
george owens

• Advertisement

Return to Bus to motorhome discussions