• Advertisement

Getting started questions

Discussions regarding bus to motorhome conversions are welcome here.

Getting started questions

Postby supagu » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 am

I've just done some initial investigations into getting a bus converted to a motorhome, as I am thinking about traveling around Australia.
I have my M.R vehicle license, is this all I need license wise?

I am wondering what I should be looking for when purchasing a bus.
I am also wondering what the living costs are like - how much does a bus service cost, how often should you get the vehicle serviced. Is there free camping in the country (i.e. if you pull up on a random road and stay there a few nights/weeks is this do-able?). What are the typical rego costs. What are the typical fuel costs.
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Getting started questions

Postby boronia » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:59 am

Provided the bus only has two axles, the MR licence should be enough. You can tow a small trailer with this as well. Three axles will require HR.

The other questions are in the "how long is a piece of string?" category, there are so many variables. You really need to compare vehicle by vehicle.

The other question you need to ask is "how hard/expensive will it be to get parts if something breaks?" Again something dependent on make/model/age.

It is often recommended that you consider buying an already converted vehicle, to avoid many of the nasties that you will find if you try to do the work yourself.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2019
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
Posts: 17840
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 1626 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

  • Advertisement

Return to Bus to motorhome discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests