• Advertisement

Wanting to drive for South Link

Information about employment in the Transport Industry, job advertisements etc.
Please use the relevant State icon when posting.

Moderators: Ken, MAN 16.242

Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Adelaide Hills DD » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:16 pm

G'Day guys,

As the subject suggests, I am looking to become a bus driver.

I am currently only 16 and in Year 11 at school. This may seem weird but all I want to do is drive buses. I have spoken to a few drivers and they have all said slightly said different things but that was because they all started working at different times.

Here is what I think I need to apply so far:
- Minimum HR Licence
- Large Passenger Accreditation
- Application sheet

I may also do a Cert III in Driving Operations to give myself a better chance.

Is there a minimum age they accept drivers?

If I have missed anything could you please let me know so that I can look further into it
What even is a bus?
User avatar
Adelaide Hills DD
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby CCCC » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:40 pm

My advice is to do as much education as you can first, finish year 12 and try and go on to uni for a degree first if you have the capacity,
You can always fall back on driving at any time.
CCCC
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: vaucluse
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 57 times
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Adelaide Hills DD » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:26 pm

CCCC wrote:My advice is to do as much education as you can first, finish year 12 and try and go on to uni for a degree first if you have the capacity,
You can always fall back on driving at any time.


I will definitely finish school, but I'm not sure what I want to do after that. I was hoping to drive for a couple of years as a casual and do something else in between
What even is a bus?
User avatar
Adelaide Hills DD
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby The Phonj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:52 pm

Have you considered contacting your preferred employer directly? They will have a much better idea of their requirements for employment than I will, however....

Providing you have a FULL licence (no 'P' plates etc) that is HR category, and your LP accreditation then there is no reason that you will not be accepted for employment as a bus driver. Unfortunately the minimum age for getting a full licence in SA is 20 so you have a few years to go yet.

A certificate III will usually be part of the training process undertaken once you commence employment so I wouldn't worry too much.

A couple of personal suggestions on my part would be:
* Obtain your learners permit as soon as you are able to; the process of obtaining a full licence can take some time - the longer you delay the longer you will have to wait to start work. For further licence information; see http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/home
* Applicants with experience in a customer service role would be favourably looked upon - it may be worth your while getting a job as a shop assistant, pizza delivery driver (once you have 'P' plates and a car) or similar.
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
User avatar
The Phonj
Administrator
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:09 pm
Location: Adelaide, or to the West or East of it.
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 190 times
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Adelaide Hills DD » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:11 pm

The Phonj wrote:Have you considered contacting your preferred employer directly? They will have a much better idea of their requirements for employment than I will, however....

Providing you have a FULL licence (no 'P' plates etc) that is HR category, and your LP accreditation then there is no reason that you will not be accepted for employment as a bus driver. Unfortunately the minimum age for getting a full licence in SA is 20 so you have a few years to go yet.

A certificate III will usually be part of the training process undertaken once you commence employment so I wouldn't worry too much.

A couple of personal suggestions on my part would be:
* Obtain your learners permit as soon as you are able to; the process of obtaining a full licence can take some time - the longer you delay the longer you will have to wait to start work. For further licence information; see http://mylicence.sa.gov.au/home
* Applicants with experience in a customer service role would be favourably looked upon - it may be worth your while getting a job as a shop assistant, pizza delivery driver (once you have 'P' plates and a car) or similar.


Thanks for the info PhonJ

I will be applying for my HR licence next year because I have my own family run buisness that I could get an exemption for, so that is not a big issue getting that.

* Applicants with experience in a customer service role would be favourably looked upon - it may be worth your while getting a job as a shop assistant, pizza delivery driver (once you have 'P' plates and a car) or similar.


Do you think that year 12 English (which involves a lot of communication skill based learning) would come close to that? or would that not be suitable enough?

I will go into Aldgate depot one day during the holidays just to get more info and to see what they have to say.

Thanks

Angus
What even is a bus?
User avatar
Adelaide Hills DD
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby boronia » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:24 pm

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:
* Applicants with experience in a customer service role would be favourably looked upon - it may be worth your while getting a job as a shop assistant, pizza delivery driver (once you have 'P' plates and a car) or similar.


Do you think that year 12 English (which involves a lot of communication skill based learning) would come close to that? or would that not be suitable enough?

I will go into Aldgate depot one day during the holidays just to get more info and to see what they have to say.

Thanks

Angus

Your abilities would be assessed as part of the recruitment process. Attitude is probably more relevant than actual experience.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
User avatar
boronia
 
Posts: 16958
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 5:18 am
Location: Sydney
Has thanked: 250 times
Been thanked: 1523 times
Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Adelaide Hills DD » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:22 pm

boronia wrote:Your abilities would be assessed as part of the recruitment process. Attitude is probably more relevant than actual experience.


Thats probably a good thing because i have a very positive attitude
What even is a bus?
User avatar
Adelaide Hills DD
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby V981 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:43 pm

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:


* Applicants with experience in a customer service role would be favourably looked upon - it may be worth your while getting a job as a shop assistant, pizza delivery driver (once you have 'P' plates and a car) or similar.


Do you think that year 12 English (which involves a lot of communication skill based learning) would come close to that? or would that not be suitable enough?



Angus


I wouldnt worry too much about English speaking skills or communication skills. The bus industry nationwide is rife with drivers with poor communication skills and a poor ability to speak english. They got in, so you should be a shoo in. :twisted:
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
V981
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 pm
Location: Dandenong Victoria
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 154 times
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby dex » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:50 pm

I wouldnt worry too much about English speaking skills or communication skills. The bus industry nationwide is rife with drivers with poor communication skills and a poor ability to speak english. They got in, so you should be a shoo in.


Are you referring to the influx on Irish drivers? :lol:
My daily cruiser is a two-door turbo merc.
dex
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: Broady
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 164 times
Favourite Vehicle: a bus

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby V981 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:02 pm

dex wrote:
I wouldnt worry too much about English speaking skills or communication skills. The bus industry nationwide is rife with drivers with poor communication skills and a poor ability to speak english. They got in, so you should be a shoo in.


Are you referring to the influx on Irish drivers? :lol:


Hahaha, I don't know. From what I've heard, many of the influx of Irish drivers have since outfluxed there ways back to Dublin. I might have been more referring to drivers perhaps born in other cricket playing nations. :lol:
The views expressed by me are mine and mine only. They do not neccesarily fall in line with the views of my friends, family, collegues or my employer.
V981
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 pm
Location: Dandenong Victoria
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 154 times
Favourite Vehicle: Anything Volvo

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby dex » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:36 pm

The Netherlands?
I can play dumb for quite some time....
Shame they have headed home though, on another note, I was told that the public's view on bus drivers was due to racism. Funny that, that excuse came from someone from one of those cricketing nations but it seems it's not racist to generalise about a certain race of people.
My daily cruiser is a two-door turbo merc.
dex
 
Posts: 1460
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:39 pm
Location: Broady
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 164 times
Favourite Vehicle: a bus

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:42 am

I thought I'd put this here instead of starting a new thread for a similar thing.

So I'm in year 10 this year. This year, as part of PLP, we have to do some work experience in week 7 of term 2. I'm thinking of going to Southink Aldgate depot. I will obviously talk to my parents/teacher and eventually the depot staff, but I was wondering whether anyone on here had any other advice?

All help appreciated,

Data (Ryan).
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
User avatar
Lt. Commander Data
 
Posts: 1988
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Stirling (West), South Australia
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 206 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby simonl » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:29 am

Why do you need a HR licence? MR is good enough in NSW. HR is only needed for bendies or tag axle buses.
simonl
 
Posts: 7882
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia
Has thanked: 834 times
Been thanked: 357 times

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Alstom 888M » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:56 am

Because you need to be able to drive any vehicle in the fleet. If the depot you work at has a bendy or tag they will most likely belong to a particular line you will be required to work sooner or later.
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
User avatar
Alstom 888M
 
Posts: 361
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Out back of 'Straya
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Adelaide Hills DD » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:01 pm

Lt. Commander Data wrote:I thought I'd put this here instead of starting a new thread for a similar thing.

So I'm in year 10 this year. This year, as part of PLP, we have to do some work experience in week 7 of term 2. I'm thinking of going to Southink Aldgate depot. I will obviously talk to my parents/teacher and eventually the depot staff, but I was wondering whether anyone on here had any other advice?

All help appreciated,

Data (Ryan).


I doubt that Aldgate will have much for you to do. The most I could think of would be rosters and Comms but that involves Inductions. You cannot just be with the drivers all day either (trust me, I tried).

I did a week down at Lonsdale and it was a great experience and a good learning curve of how it all runs behind the scenes. So if that's what you are into, go for it.

simonl wrote:Why do you need a HR licence? MR is good enough in NSW. HR is only needed for bendies or tag axle buses.


For us in the hills, we have almost the same amount of tags/artics as we do rigids, so you would be pretty useless if you didn't have a HR.
What even is a bus?
User avatar
Adelaide Hills DD
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby The Phonj » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:11 pm

simonl wrote:Why do you need a HR licence? MR is good enough in NSW. HR is only needed for bendies or tag axle buses.


All three Adelaide Metro service providers have artics in their fleets; and I think you would be hard pressed to find a depot that doesn't have an artic. As already mentioned; Mt. Barker and Aldgate depots have tag axle buses in addition to artics.

As a result, it is a requirement for employment with all three Adelaide Metro contractors that you hold a HR licence.
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
User avatar
The Phonj
Administrator
 
Posts: 2646
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:09 pm
Location: Adelaide, or to the West or East of it.
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 190 times
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:47 pm

Adelaide Hills DD wrote:
Lt. Commander Data wrote:I thought I'd put this here instead of starting a new thread for a similar thing.

So I'm in year 10 this year. This year, as part of PLP, we have to do some work experience in week 7 of term 2. I'm thinking of going to Southink Aldgate depot. I will obviously talk to my parents/teacher and eventually the depot staff, but I was wondering whether anyone on here had any other advice?

All help appreciated,

Data (Ryan).


I doubt that Aldgate will have much for you to do. The most I could think of would be rosters and Comms but that involves Inductions. You cannot just be with the drivers all day either (trust me, I tried).

I did a week down at Lonsdale and it was a great experience and a good learning curve of how it all runs behind the scenes. So if that's what you are into, go for it.

simonl wrote:Why do you need a HR licence? MR is good enough in NSW. HR is only needed for bendies or tag axle buses.


For us in the hills, we have almost the same amount of tags/artics as we do rigids, so you would be pretty useless if you didn't have a HR.[/quote]

Thanks for that AdeliadeHillsDD. Just out of interest, when you went to Lonsdale, what time did you have to get there each morning? I'm just thinking that I can't drive yet, and I live in Stirling, which is quite a long way from Lonsdale. I'm sure if and when I organise it they will tell me, but just an idea would be nice.

On another note, which buses are the tag axles? Is it the 14.5s, becuase I though the SG280s were the only tag axle artics. Unless my definition of 'tag' is wrong...
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 867, 868.
Adelaide Metro Photography. For all your Adelaide bus photo needs.
User avatar
Lt. Commander Data
 
Posts: 1988
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 am
Location: Stirling (West), South Australia
Has thanked: 1009 times
Been thanked: 206 times
Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Off The Rails » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:32 am

14.5's are tag axles. Those SG280's would've been rear steer.

Cheers! :wink:
Part of a 8 person trek to Mongolia, during July 2016.
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
User avatar
Off The Rails
 
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:47 pm
Location: No where near the Gutta
Has thanked: 207 times
Been thanked: 185 times
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Adelaide Hills DD » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:00 pm

It takes around 45mins from here to Lonsdale but I was there from 9am to 5pm, so your parents may have to come pick you up/drop off
What even is a bus?
User avatar
Adelaide Hills DD
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:44 am
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia, Australia
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 19 times
Favourite Vehicle: Scania K320UB Gemilang (3401)

Re: Wanting to drive for South Link

Postby Bedford-29 » Sun May 29, 2016 1:03 am

Looking at South Australia learner rules 75 hours of supervised driving and 15 hours of night time driving then P1 then P2 before you look at anything else.What happen to good old days learning to drive.
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
User avatar
Bedford-29
 
Posts: 4935
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 553 times



  • Advertisement

Return to Employment in the Transport Industry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests