I Want be a Bus Driver !

Information about employment in the Transport Industry, job advertisements etc.
Please use the relevant State icon when posting.

Moderators: Ken, MAN 16.242

hammer

I Want be a Bus Driver !

Post by hammer »

Hello, I'm looking for a career change, I think I would enjoy ferrying people around the suburbs. I have had my MR Licence for 11 months during which time I have been driving 6, 9 and 12 tonne flat bed trucks for a Marquee company in Melbourne (know my way around the suburbs fairly well now).

I've got a few questions and would gladly appreciate advice/answers from anyone in the know.

1. Whats the cost of a Drivers Accreditation ?. I've got all my licence points still, except 1point which I lost for doing 107kph on the eastlink, so I should meet requirements for it, yeah ?.

2. How do I obtain a 'working with children' cert ?.

3. Whats the average normal hourly rate of pay ?.

4. Do most bus drivers have their own run they always do ?, Or do they constantly chop and change runs ?.

5. I live in Garden City near Westgate bridge, is there any bus depots in that area ?.

5. And probably most importantly......... Is there any Melbourne bus companies currently hiring drivers ?

Any advice at all would be appreciated.
Alstom 888M

Re: I Want be a Bus Driver !

Post by Alstom 888M »

hammer wrote:1. Whats the cost of a Drivers Accreditation ?. I've got all my licence points still, except 1point which I lost for doing 107kph on the eastlink, so I should meet requirements for it, yeah ?.
I lost 3 points before getting my DC for doing 115km/h in a 100 zone near Horsham. Still got the job okay. I think it's more the nature of the offence. You get done for drink driving and you've got no hope.

The DC itself costs around $30.
hammer wrote:2. How do I obtain a 'working with children' cert ?.
Go to your local cop shop and ask for one. It costs around $100 and takes awhile to get processed.
hammer wrote:3. Whats the average normal hourly rate of pay ?.
I get $24.something.
hammer wrote:4. Do most bus drivers have their own run they always do ?, Or do they constantly chop and change runs ?.
At my depot drivers generally have their own runs. Drivers without a run are on "relief" and cover the shifts of those on leave. Permanent runs are given on a seniority basis; so generally; the lowest get split-shifts or lates (3pm-midnight/1am), middles (10/12-8/9pm), while earlies (4/5am-1/3pm) seem to be the most sought after.
hammer wrote:. I live in Garden City near Westgate bridge, is there any bus depots in that area ?.
Melbourne Bus Link have Sandringham and Footscray, Ventura has North Fitzroy. Both are to be taken over by Transdev next week.
hammer wrote:5. And probably most importantly......... Is there any Melbourne bus companies currently hiring drivers ?
North Fitzroy is in fact, currently overstaffed.
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
hammer

Post by hammer »

Thankyou very much the information mate ! Top Notch !

I applied to ventura last week and got a call from them the other day saying they've had a lot of applicants and I might get an interview some time next week, so fingers crossed !. Just sent my resume and cover letter to Transdev.

Thanks again !
dex
Favourite Vehicle: a bus

Post by dex »

Get all your certificates before applying. Tulla bus lines are short staffed.
My daily cruiser is a two-door turbo merc.
Croc

Post by Croc »

You know how people say that when you are looking for a job you should go and knock on some doors. Some operators in this industry do work like that. And if you have a steady stream of applicants knocking on the doors then why would you spend money on an ad.
I think if your long term goal is tours then apply for work at a charter company (which will probably mean you are more likely to become a casual, work unpredicatable hours and possiby earn a flat rate when you would epxect penalties would apply). These companies will probably start you on a school run but if you are available pretty much any time of the day or night, know your way around the regular jobs, the city, the state and the country you will be offered preogressively more challenging work. It may be worth doing a 'Coach Captain's' course, maybe. It would be worth doing a Snow Licence - you are n ot likley to earn back the cost of the course and accomodation in the short term but this will identify you as being amongst the more willing/flexible/capable types that would also include the blokes doing tours.

Most find being a tour driver a good life - you probably wont get rich but you will be on holiday all the time. You might find it hard to stay married too - but that depends a bit on who you (and your wife are) and on your habits

Good Luck.

Return to “Employment in the Transport Industry”