Do companies advertise for drivers, if so where?

Information about employment in the Transport Industry, job advertisements etc.
Please use the relevant State icon when posting.

Moderators: Ken, MAN 16.242

James00
Favourite Vehicle: Bustech VST

Do companies advertise for drivers, if so where?

Post by James00 »

Sorry dumb question,

But I'm looking for driving work west brisbane, I've emailed companies as per instructions on their websites, but never get a response...Do companies advertise for drivers, are they always looking or have I got to be in the right place at the right time? I don't see driving jobs advertised anywhere...
Could someone point in the right direction on what I have to do?

Thanks
Bus_Control
Favourite Vehicle: anything diesel!

Re: Do companies advertise for drivers, if so where?

Post by Bus_Control »

best way is to find the operators you'd like to work for and rock up on their doorstep and fill out an application! in some cases you might be lucky on the day and attract the right attention from he who hires and get an interview etc.good luck!
PhoenixC13
Favourite Vehicle: DENNING

Post by PhoenixC13 »

Best think is to dress smartly and oput shoes on and head to the depots direct. (dont show up too early or at lunch time best about 10am after morning rush) 90% of drivers employed are normaly ones who walk off street hand over resume and a lot of companies will sending you for a driving test on the day and collect copies of your licene and DA. Then as soon as a job comes ur ready to go. I work for a company in brisbane and this seems to be the way many people who apply online are tire kickers and never get back to you so most are ignored..... unless they are desperate...

Paul
Support Aussie bus builders....
Peter1805

Post by Peter1805 »

I disagree that people who apply on the internet are necessarily "tyre-kickers"..(but perhaps you're right that many bus companies still see them this way.)

Some may be, but these days internet applications are the preferred option in many industries...

Perhaps the bus industry has been slow to catch up. I don't see why a simple emailed response could not be given. If companies are going to provide internet applications as an option, then the least they can do is respond, in my humble opinion.
tbc1983

Post by tbc1983 »

James00 wrote:Sorry dumb question,

But I'm looking for driving work west brisbane, I've emailed companies as per instructions on their websites, but never get a response...Do companies advertise for drivers, are they always looking or have I got to be in the right place at the right time? I don't see driving jobs advertised anywhere...
Could someone point in the right direction on what I have to do?

Thanks

Hi James,

In your original post, you don't specify whether you're gunning for either trucks or buses, so for your benefit, I'm assuming you're keeping your options open! :D

I don't much about the QLD licensing systems regading driving buses for a professional living, but here in WA, you'd need a Hire & Reward Endorsment, which means you must have 2 or references from people you have known for at least...4 years?

Because of that, it's very hard for newcomers to hit buses.

In one of the monthly trucking papers, Owner Driver, there are lots of drving vacancies, but about 90% of them are for HC/MC work and very little HR work, let alone MR work. It's because this, that it makes it very hard for people wanting to join the transport industry since for most people, obtaing your HR licence is the 1st step and you cannot obatin a higher licence until you satisfy criteria which are based on time lapse, as opposed to skills/licence recognition (in a nutshell).

In Owner Driver, they even advtertise "Tow Operators", i.e. owner/drivers with their own prime mover who haul other companies' trailers.

I hope this helps?????

Cheers!
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.
tbc1983

Post by tbc1983 »

I forgot to mention, when companies advertise for an HR truck driver, they usually want someone with a HIAB ticket, or the like.

Cheers!
Death is the solution to all problems. No man - no problem.

Return to “Employment in the Transport Industry”