Bus purchasing

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
HaticePTV
Favourite Vehicle: CR228L Scania K230UB

Bus purchasing

Post by HaticePTV »

Hi guys,

New member here. :D

This maybe an open ended question and I don't have much insight into the workings and on-goings of the individual bus company operations. My questions are what are the factors that are in play when a company will pick a certain bus manufacturer and chassis for it? For example some companies like (Melbourne, resident) Dysons bus company tend to stick with Scania and Volvo for their route buses and are basically exclusive Volgren customers for the route buses where are Transdev or Ventura, CDC etc have Scanias, Volvo, Mercs etc from a variety of manufacturers Volgren, Custom Coaches, BCI etc.

How many manufacturers are producing from Australia companies, what are the pros and cons of each one and why would you operate such a diverse fleet instead of a homogeneous type (cheaper maintenance etc?)
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Re: Bus purchasing

Post by CCCC »

Its all changed , mostly about money these days, less about longevity , My experience years ago the owners were a bit more loyal and handsomely looked after by the suppliers.
HaticePTV
Favourite Vehicle: CR228L Scania K230UB

Re: Bus purchasing

Post by HaticePTV »

CCCC wrote:Its all changed , mostly about money these days, less about longevity , My experience years ago the owners were a bit more loyal and handsomely looked after by the suppliers.
Cheapest buys seem to take the cake in the contemporary market. Although wouldn't having so many different types in the fleet lead to increased overheads in maintenance, training etc.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”