Australia trip coming up

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Bussinglane

Australia trip coming up

Post by Bussinglane »

Hey guys, I think this is the most suitable place for me to post my question. I am not long away from starting my travel around Australia and i'm not sure how to go about it. Do i buy a car, insurance etc, and drive my way through the country being able to go where ever i like but then you have the complications of breaking down.... Or do i use Public transport? First off can you travel the Whole of AUS on several buses? Also when it comes to cost will it be cheaper than the car including breakdowns? I thought where better to ask than here with you guys!! Looking forward to your reply's guys!!

Bussinglane

Re: Australia trip coming up

Post by Bussinglane »

Come on guys, where are all the travels or bus drivers that know how to get me from A-Z?? there must be someone.
Bussinglane

Post by Bussinglane »

What about the greyhound service?? has anyone had any experience using these?
Bussinglane

Post by Bussinglane »

Luckily enough i had the Lonely Planet http://www.lonelyplanet.com/australia/t ... around/bus to help me out with a few answers but not all. This will help out anyone with the same problem!! more info to come soon
Hawkeye
Favourite Vehicle: Any well designed bus!

Post by Hawkeye »

If you came to Adelaide (or any major city really), I'm sure there would be many who could help you out. In terms of venturing across the country though, got no idea sorry :|
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

It is a vague question with no "black and white" answers. Not surprising there are no responses.

What is your budget? How much time do you have? What do you want to see? There is a lot to "all of Australia".

Buying/renting a car wouldn't be cheap. Your breakdown could happen hundred of miles from "civilisation".

Riding in buses gives you a chance to enjoy the scenery, but only where the bus happens to go. A lot of Australia doesn't have much scenery, so could soon get boring. A car would give you more choice and flexibility to go where you want and stop off where you want.

Maybe your best bet would be to rent a small motorhome; you will save on accommodation costs.

Keep reading Lonely Planet, look at Greyhound's web site. Come up with a plan then ask questions.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Alright where is the starting point you are going to start from and where is your first port of call you are going to as you did not mention this no one will answer you otherwise plus to don`t come on here and lose your block cause no one is answering you as no one will answer you period
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
Bussinglane

Post by Bussinglane »

A small motorhome is genius, never even crossed my mind! I will have a look into the cost of these and maintaining. At least if the motor home breaks down then we could carry spares or at least have a bed to sleep in. Sorry about the lack of information. When it came to Australia i never budgeted due to the massive cost of most things so i'm going with my bank balance. I have found some Motorhomes for sale online and they are pretty well priced. i have already costed up and booked my Hotels in the main city's, it's more the outback and countryside that i am clueless about. I have just picked up a traveling through Australia E-book and i am going to have a read of this get a little more info then get back to you.

Thanks for the reply Much appreciated
Last edited by Bussinglane on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Commander Data
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L94UB

Post by Lt. Commander Data »

Boronia mentions much of Australia doesn't have much scenery (debatable, depends what you like). It is also worth nothing a lot of Australia doesn't have much (if any) public transport.

Private transport would definitely be easier, cheaper maybe not.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route).
Last person on 164, 867, 868
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I hope you realise just how big Australia is. I've met a lot of visitors and travel people who think they can drive from one side to the other in a day or two. :shock:

I recall being asked by an American travel agent to quote for a bus charter from Sydney to Ayers Rock, with a lunch stop in Broken Hill.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Bedford-29

Post by Bedford-29 »

Here is some links that might help you to buy a car what you spend on fares nowadays would put two or three tanks of fuel in the car you buy
http://www.cars4backpackers.com.au/
http://www.backpackersautosales.com.au/
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”