Raising TAG wheels on 1988 Tourmaster

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
garycoug

Raising TAG wheels on 1988 Tourmaster

Post by garycoug »

Hi,
I have a 1988 Austral Tourmaster. Is it possible to raise the TAG wheels or dump the air from them?

Thanks,

Gary
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Re: Raising TAG wheels on 1988 Tourmaster

Post by CCCC »

garycoug wrote:Hi,
I have a 1988 Austral Tourmaster. Is it possible to raise the TAG wheels or dump the air from them?

Thanks,

Gary
Tag dump switch was pretty much standard them days , usually the symbol was two wheels with one raised , if its worn off keep switching switches until you hear the air release .
or does it have a valve handle somewhere you can turn to dump , these types tended to take longer to release air , although where more likely fitted to dump the front airbags for easier entrance for passengers.
garycoug

Post by garycoug »

Thanks CCCC,

I have a switch on the dash, next to the switch that opens the door, that dumps the air in the front airbags but there are no other switches connected to air on the dash.

Regards,

Gary
CCCC
Favourite Vehicle: Silvereagle and Scenicruiser

Post by CCCC »

garycoug wrote:Thanks CCCC,

I have a switch on the dash, next to the switch that opens the door, that dumps the air in the front airbags but there are no other switches connected to air on the dash.

Regards,

Gary

You might need to look into a bit further , I think there was a state which outlawed the use of them . a bit like NSW introduced the switch that could not be left on , you had to hold it down otherwise it would release but this was around the year 2000
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I don't think it was a switch, but a valve somewhere you could open to dump the air.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

I had CPF fit dump valves to my Tourmaster tag, not a very expensive exercise, that was 2 years ago and have not come across a situation where I have had to use them though so I wonder about the need. Lot of people get hung up on getting hung up on servo driveways or similar but we haven't even come close and we have had the old girl down some shockers looking for gems.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

They do come in handy if you end up on wet dirt roads. Dumping the tag can give a bit more traction on the drive.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
DiAmOnD T
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Mandator Ex Browns no7

Post by DiAmOnD T »

I thought they were fitted with tag dumps as standard. I was told to use it when performing tight turns to reduce the amount of tearing on the tag tyres

There are the valves (taps) fitted also but they stop the air being supplied to the bags during maintenance
The Diesel Guy
- Mobile heavy vehicle repairs serving Sydney to Newcastle -

dieselguynsw@gmail.com
garycoug

Post by garycoug »

Thanks everyone for the input. Had a good look in the places suggested and can find no obvious lever or switch. Rustbucket, your rig looks to be same model/vintage as mine and I assume from your reply you also had nothing as standard fitted to yours. Spoke to the local coach mechanic and he said some were fitted with a dump switch and some weren't.
Reason, I was asking was, I did get stuck twice when slow reversing and tags got on higher ground than the drive wheels.
rustbucket

Post by rustbucket »

I guess if I ever suspect I might get stuck I tend to gun it a bit to carry past. BTW it is an 84 Tourmaster (or was at one stage)
Not super hard to do, if you feel you need then do it. Seems they were offered as an option, like a lot of things when these coaches were built
kelvin12
Favourite Vehicle: Austral, King of the Outback

Post by kelvin12 »

You might need them if you get bogged, have done so twice now and they really did help the situation and saved digging the old girl out so worth it in my opinion. Mine didn't come with them standard.

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”