Bus driving in Perth

New Users (or anyone else) is/are welcome to ask questions in here to which the answers might be obvious to most but you simply don't know yourself or are unsure where to find the answer. You can also ask questions about the working of the forum or anything else you may think of.

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Forum rules
### This section is a NO FLAMING ZONE! That means you cannot reply "harshly", abusively, sarcastically or in any negative manner to members. ###
Jonathan1990

Bus driving in Perth

Post by Jonathan1990 »

Hello
I wonder if anyone can help..
I'm a bus driver in the UK/Glasgow & I've been driving buses for six years. I've Visited Perth in February last year & seen an advertisement on a Transperth bus about employment as a driver. Would I be able to apply for a position with them ? What visa would be required ? Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you
Jonathan
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Bus driving in Perth

Post by boronia »

You will need a visa that allows you to work here.

Are you looking at short term (working holiday, student - both with employment limits) or long term (permanent residency)?

Google will give you links to Government websites explaining what is available.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jonathan1990

Post by Jonathan1990 »

Hi Boronia thank you for your reply. I seen this on the Australian government website..

You may be eligible for a nominated or sponsored work visa if, amongst other things, you are nominated or sponsored by:
An approved Australian employer or business
A state or territory government agency
A state or territory authority

Do you know if a bus company would be willing to be a sponsor ?
Again any further information you have would be appreciated.

Jonathan
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I really doubt it. Sponsorship approval is not cheap or simple, and I don't think there is any shortage of locals to fill vacant positions. You would have to approach individual companies to see if they are interested.

I think a bus company in Melbourne was trying to recruit Irish drivers a year or so back. Try a search on this site for details.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.
Jonathan1990

Post by Jonathan1990 »

ok cheers

thanks for your help.
Kappy

Post by Kappy »

Hi
I have driven for for Transperth (Sub Contract company).

Transperth don't actually employ anyone.

From my experience it's a high turn over industry a lot of people discover they are not suited.

During the boom time a lot of experienced long term drivers headed north creating a shortage of experience drivers, now that the North west has almost shut down (Mt Newman is close to a ghost town, maybe another Wittenoom maybe)

So now now the contractors are very picky. so sponsorship would be nign on impossible, although they have done it in the past, in any event cost nothing to ask.

My 2c
Cheers
Kappy

Return to “New Users/Ask a Simple Question”